Chief fire officer

Mercenary

I've seen we are advertising for a new chief fire officer.

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/Job/JobDetail?JobId=16167

To compare this to recent high level appointments:

Chief fire officer salary - £112k

DOI chief exec - £118k

Chief constable - £150k

DHA chief exec - £98k

Attorney general - £178k

Manx Care - £160k

DHSC chief exec - £111k

Seems pretty generous for a service with 30 odd full time employees? I would say the DOI chief exec on this list definitely gets the raw deal! (did they even manage to find anyone?)

"If we want the best we have to pay better than the going rate" yada yada yada

Or

It's the only way we can get anybody to come and work here.....

Plus the pay offs are good after you've fucked up big time and your highly paid position finally becomes untenable.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mercenary said:

I've seen we are advertising for a new chief fire officer.

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/iomgovjobs/Job/JobDetail?JobId=16167

To compare this to recent high level appointments:

Chief fire officer salary - £112k

DOI chief exec - £118k

Chief constable - £150k

DHA chief exec - £98k

Attorney general - £178k

Manx Care - £160k

DHSC chief exec - £111k

Seems pretty generous for a service with 30 odd full time employees? I would say the DOI chief exec on this list definitely gets the raw deal! (did they even manage to find anyone?)

Salaries are good enough, which begs the question why we end up with tossers in those positions 

Edited by Passing Time
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Salaries are good enough, which begs the question why we end up with tosses in those positions 

End of the line positions, most end up retiring after a career of mediocrity. Nobody comes to the Isle of Man to enhance their career, they've usually fu@ked up big time somewhere else, or drifted into the position after nobody decent applied! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Why not just join the police, fire and. ambulance services under one commander with a deputy with a more hands on approach with less meetings meetings and more meetings for the sake of it, just get on with the bloody job, to many emperors with new clothes in high positions already, that  needs reducing.  Calling big Stu you must see there’s far too many on super salaries that’s beyond their real capabilities and some could just disappear tomorrow and wouldn’t be missed at all.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Yep, a nice relaxing last couple of years before the pension pays out.

I had a GP a few years ago who admitted that was exactly why he moved here. He worked full time for five years, one year as a part time locum, then retired.

Although I was sorry to see him go - he was quite good - I also resented him using the island this way. 

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

What's wrong with the local lad who's standing in as the temporary CFO? Or is the advert designed to be seen as being transparent and he's actually going to get the job? Or is there no one in the service currently up to scratch and meets the requirements?

If it was just handed to someone MF would be outraged that it wasn't publicly advertised and alleging nepotism.

Its a no-win situation.

• Like 1

Isn’t the salary for this position set by a Uk scale?

There are three CFO points on said scale, and this is the lowest.

I don’t see what the moaning is about? I can’t imagine many people would want all that responsibility without a decent wedge in return, and it’s the going rate.

• Like 1

Douglas fire station was deemed unfit for purpose in 2019-20.

What has happened since then?

https://www.gov.im/media/1366641/frs-service-delivery-plan-2019-2020.pdf

It sounds as though they need more people to do the work rather than people who will spend their time in meetings.

https://www.gov.im/categories/home-and-neighbourhood/emergency-services/fire-and-rescue-service/community-fire-safety/

Edited by Moghrey Mie

12 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

There has been some fires, which were put out.

So - it's fit for it's purpose then.

'Douglas Fire Station is no longer fit for purpose. It lacks the space required for the resources housed there and is now deemed to be at a high risk of future flooding.'

Stand by for elaborate 'Blue Light Hub' with whistles and bells.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1