Katrina Visits "big Easy"

Amadeus

I am astounded by the way the relief operation has been handled.

The national guard (at least those not in Iraq) have been deployed to stop looting. Meanwhile, those left in the city don't have food or fresh water.

And this is four days after the storm. This is a major city in a major country and the response has been slower and less effective than that following the Tsunami. Should Bush be appealing to the rest of the World for assistance, because at the moment they are showing no signs being able to cope?

Doesn't suprise me at all. The Republicans care more about property (i.e. looting) than they do about people. Other examples include Iraq where they care more about oil than people (or colatteral or however it's spelt). Vietnam where they cared more about some imaginary "communist threat" than they did about innocent vietnamese (and many non-innocent). God help us with this "super power"!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been reading the link to the Mr Trittin article - it amazes me the hostility of the yanks when more & more scientific evidence tend to be pointing towards global warming and a recent rise in sea temperatues causing more hurricanes.

From NOAA (National Oceanographic & Atmospheric Administration) - run by US Gov:-

"The tropics are only going to get busier as we enter the peak of the season," said Brig. Gen. David L. Johnson, USAF (Ret.), director of the NOAA National Weather Service. "This may well be one of the most active Atlantic hurricane seasons on record, and will be the ninth above-normal Atlantic hurricane season in the last eleven years."

NOAA image of 2005 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook Update."Although we have already seen a record-setting seven tropical storms during June and July, much of the season's activity is still to come," said Gerry Bell, lead meteorologist on NOAA's Atlantic Hurricane Seasonal Outlook. The predicted high levels of activity during the remainder of the season are consistent with NOAA's pre-season outlook issued last spring, and are comparable to those seen during August to October of the very active 2003 and 2004 seasons. (Click NOAA image for larger view of 2005 Atlantic Hurricane Season Outlook Update. Please credit “NOAA.”)

So the yanks maybe a bit pissed at Mr Trittin's comments - even though their own government's evidence seems to backup his comments.

I don't really think he was trying to be intentionally insensitive.

- IMHO, I'm sure the US's environment policies (or lack of them) must surely only be contributing to global warming and more hurricanes.

I do pity the conditions that some of the people have been left in - and I'm also very surprised that it was known the storm was going to be really severe, yet Bush chose to do virtually nothing about it (even still). - If he got off his arse & asked for aid, I'm sure many of us would contribute.

After watching the story unfold on television, I was absolutely stunned at the ineptitude of the rescue effort. As I've said previously, this was a disaster-in-waiting - and the authorities have had years to make preparation for it.

All we have to do now is wait for the Hollywood epic showing how brilliantly the whole situation was handled!

After watching the story unfold on television, I was absolutely stunned at the ineptitude of the rescue effort.  As I've said previously, this was a disaster-in-waiting - and the authorities have had years to make preparation for it.

All we have to do now is wait for the Hollywood epic showing how brilliantly the whole situation was handled!

Can anyone think of a name for the said film? Let's hear your ideas...

I've been watching Euronews and CNN (the only channels I get here) and it already looks like a major disaster with one of the USs best cities beyond the rule of law, underwater, starving and prone to disease. And CNN seems to be concentrating on the affect the hurricane has had on.... oil

I find the lack of aid astounding. How can the US rush to aid other countries in a New York Second and then drag his feet during an incredible and devastating disaster in the US?

And as for Global Warming and Kyoto Treaty - neither here nor there right now.

Why not IoM take up donations for aid to the Gulf States?

I find the lack of aid astounding.  How can the US rush to aid other countries in a New York Second and then drag his feet during an incredible and devastating disaster in the US?

And as for Global Warming and Kyoto Treaty - neither here nor there right now. 

Why not IoM take up donations for aid to the Gulf States?

It's a good idea and I hope Tynwald make a contribution but I think the current problem is not lack of money but a lack of organisation and men on the ground.

"People were raped in the Superdome. People were killed in there. We had multiple riots" - New Orleans police officer

Just read this while I was reading the article about the unexplained explosions in New Orleans. This is shocking - people in the superdome for protection were subjected to rape and murder.

BBC News - Massive Explosion rips New Orleans

From today's Independent:

Experts on the Mississippi Delta pointed out that a plan to shore up the levees around New Orleans was abandoned last year for lack of government funding. They noted that flood-control spending for south-eastern Louisiana had been chopped every year that Mr Bush has been in office, that hurricane protection funds have also fallen, and that the local army corps of engineers has also had its budget cut.

and

As when the Asian tsunami hit last year, Mr Bush found himself on holiday at his Texas ranch when disaster struck. As with the tsunami, he was soon in the firing line for reacting slowly - he spent Monday on a fundraising tour of the American West - and failing to provide adequate leadership.

Archived