Bishop in Tynwald

hissingsid

So the Arch Bishop of York who has been visiting the Island over the weekend was on MR saying the Bishop of the Isle of Man should be in Tynwald and in discussion with people he has met this is a popular belief.    I wonder who he has been talking to as most if not all the people I have had this conversation with do not agree.    Why should a man who has no working knowledge of the Island sit in our parliament and have a vote ?    There will be a new Bishop appointed when the present one retires in October and what he or she will bring to the table is very debatable.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Only the first part of the report though I am not expecting anything substantial she will probably say her expert team are progressing with speed and integrity and the work they have done up to now is thorough and painstaking and cannot be rushed. I cannot believe no one has discovered who Batman and Robin are the Isle of Man is certainly not what it used to be skeet wise 🤣.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

So the Arch Bishop of York who has been visiting the Island over the weekend was on MR saying the Bishop of the Isle of Man should be in Tynwald and in discussion with people he has met this is a popular belief.    I wonder who he has been talking to as most if not all the people I have had this conversation with do not agree.    Why should a man who has no working knowledge of the Island sit in our parliament and have a vote ?    There will be a new Bishop appointed when the present one retires in October and what he or she will bring to the table is very debatable.

https://humanists.uk/campaigns/secularism/constitutional-reform/bishops-in-the-lords/

Discriminatory (catholics, jews, methodists don't get seats automatically)

Religious privilege (should be secular society with equity for all)

Undemocratic (bishops are not voted in by the general public)

MHKs and MLCs probably said Bishop Peter was a good guy who brings a calm presence to proceedings. That is not an adequate reason for him to be in there and voting on our legislation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

5 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Well I presume everyone he's talking to will be from the same ilk, so they'll of course think the Bishop should be in Tynwald. Some people only hear what their echo chamber tells them. 

• Like 2

Listening to the Tynwald business this week on the referral to the Standards Committee indicated both the possible benefit of the Bishop being in Tynwald, and also at the same time why he should just be available to provide advice to members and not have a vote. Being referred to the Committee was clearly a stressful and emotional experience, and I suspect someone in that position could do with having someone to whom they can talk to in confidence and find some friendliness and advice from (whether they want to take it on a spiritual level or not), knowing that that person would not be asked to decide their fate or be seen to take sides. If there is a role for the Bishop in Tynwald that would seem to be it.

Edited by Thomas Dalby
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Thomas Dalby said:

Listening to the Tynwald business this week on the referral to the Standards Committee indicated both the possible benefit of the Bishop being in Tynwald, and also at the same time why he should just be available to provide advice to members and not have a vote. Being referred to the Committee was clearly a stressful and emotional experience, and I suspect someone in that position could do with having someone to whom they can talk to in confidence and find some friendliness and advice from (whether they want to take it on a spiritual level or not), knowing that that person would not be asked to decide their fate or be seen to take sides. If there is a role for the Bishop in Tynwald that would seem to be it.

There are plenty of counselling services and religious people out in the community to provide that if needed. Having the bishop on standby is not a reason for the Church of England to be given a favourable position in our legislature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moghrey Mie said:

There are plenty of counselling services and religious people out in the community to provide that if needed. Having the bishop on standby is not a reason for the Church of England to be given a favourable position in our legislature.

That's why there's a Chaplain.

• Like 3