Laxey in the Sea

x-in-man

9 minutes ago, war baby said:

Sea levels are rising, everywhere.  Don't they read the papers?  If the sea wants it, it will eventually have it.  No rush, it can take its time, it's going to be here long after we are gone.

Every sailor knows the absolute power of the sea, it is truly awesome.  Except King Canute and our planning authorities.

I am struggling to work out if this erosion has been caused (or accelerated) by human intervention or whether its natural erosion. Seems the former if the posts on here are correct.

8 minutes ago, war baby said:

Sea levels are rising, everywhere.  Don't they read the papers?  If the sea wants it, it will eventually have it.  No rush, it can take its time, it's going to be here long after we are gone.

Every sailor knows the absolute power of the sea, it is truly awesome.  Except King Canute and our planning authorities.

This instance is nothing to do with the sea.  No erosion of the cliff has taken place, there's a concrete buttress between it and the sea (the prom).  A digger removed the bottom bit. 

Although I'd say any houses there would have an interesting time with waves and rocks. 

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

I’m not sure anyone on here will be able to tell you that. I’d like to think he will be regretting his decision now, but I fear he’s not the kind of chap who regrets behaviour.  

It’s also interesting in that report that the commissioners say they want the site to be developed. They probably wanted the money to add to their funds but I’m not sure now, in 2023 that they would still want that site to be developed. They won’t now anyway. 

How do you know that the properties above the site are on soil and not bedrock? Soil on top of bedrock maybe. I can't imagine it would be soil only directly below the footings.

6 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

How do you know that the properties above the site are on soil and not bedrock? Soil on top of bedrock maybe. I can't imagine it would be soil only directly below the footings.

Because the owner told me on Saturday after the second landslide. There will be bed rock underneath. I think he said 2 metres (but I can’t be certain on that). The issue is that if the soil disappears then his house is unstable. He’s already lost his garden according to the report. 

• Like 1

Just now, Roxanne said:

Because the owner told me on Saturday after the second landslide. There will be bed rock underneath. I think he said 2 metres (but I can’t be certain on that). The issue is that if the soil disappears then his house is unstable. He’s already lost his garden according to the report. 

Understood.

18 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Built on dirt not on rock by looks of it. Admittedly probably does have some foundations go down to the rock, but if all the dirt goes...

FB_IMG_1679408192464.jpg

17 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I've worked on a couple of underpinning jobs in Laxey over the years, though not right there. The bedrock there is not always as solid as you might hope bedrock to be. 

Yup, the Laxey 'slate' (although it's a mudstone schist) is very hard and strong, as long as you don't have something move along it's shear-planes. 

• Like 2