Laxey in the Sea

x-in-man

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Sorry I am confused. Are they not the same thing? Whose insurance is going to be paying out and for what?

If the cause is someone's (contractor etc) negligence then their insurance will be claimed on for remedial work as well as any loss to other parties.  There are two issues, the remedial works and an indemnity for any loss suffered by the householders.

The household insurance may also be claimed on but may not pay for remedial works, just the cost, say, of shoring up the end of the property or the damage to the building, depends on the terms and if landslide is a covered risk. 

It is often not simplified by insurance but complicated because insurers will only pay up if they are liabley to do so. 

Another pound to a penny that the building in the old photo is the same house that has been evacuated, albeit reduced in height (although I suspect the road level has been raised by quite a feet). Somehow I don't think the original building would have been a mine. A pumphouse for the well maybe?

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If the cause is someone's (contractor etc) negligence then their insurance will be claimed on for remedial work as well as any loss to other parties.  There are two issues, the remedial works and an indemnity for any loss suffered by the householders.

The household insurance may also be claimed on but may not pay for remedial works, just the cost, say, of shoring up the end of the property or the damage to the building, depends on the terms and if landslide is a covered risk. 

It is often not simplified by insurance but complicated because insurers will only pay up if they are liabley to do so. 

I see. Like I said though, the property owners will have to make a claim on their household insurance in the first place. You pay your insurance company to act on your behalf with regard to 3rd party liability. They wont be able to wait years for liability to be decided as they now have no homes. It will be a fine old mess that's for sure.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The planning for the existing and now-threatened buildings at the top of the cliff?

If that picture shows the correct location (and it could well be IMHO) then those buildings may well have been constructed on top of the old mine site with its associated spoil?

If you take a line down from the top of Old School Hill and compare with Google earth (excuse the lack of 3D depth) you can also use 2 of the original buildings still in place.

It sort of shows it's all in close proximity of what I believe was a mine. The spoils from the mine look just dumped down the cliff, so in my mind it would be fairly unstable ground if you start digging from the bottom.

laxey.png

Screenshot-2023-03-23-at-09-38-00.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, slinkydevil said:

If you take a line down from the top of Old School Hill and compare with Google earth (excuse the lack of 3D depth) you can also use 2 of the original buildings still in place.

It sort of shows it's all in close proximity of what I believe was a mine. The spoils from the mine look just dumped down the cliff, so in my mind it would be fairly unstable ground if you start digging from the bottom.

laxey.png

its like aberfan without the school and deaths.

24 minutes ago, cissolt said:

The Lacey flood victims are still having insurance issues.  Apparently the digger and large hole in the wall were not a contributing factor 

The 'digger' was  on top of one ton bags of ballast in the river bed ( raising the river bed by about a metre)and access for the digger was gained by taking down the wall diverting the river into the road on the night when a weather warning was given of heavy rain . I remember commenting on the stupidity of the contractor on the afternoon before the flood. the Digger's bucket was being used to mix a concrete mix and make it easily available   to construct a 'salmon ladder' on the far side of the river .  

To claim that the digger and the hole in the wall were not contributing factors to the flooding of properties adjacent to and further down the road is demonstrably a nonsense . Just saying

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

laxey.png

Cool photos.  I can see by brother's house in the ye olde one. 

I remember when I was a kid we used to play on the slabs behind the End Cafe and further along the beach.  Always recall it being smooth rock along that area at least up until 100m South, no rubble.  I can only imagine they must have cleared what was in the old photo.

15 minutes ago, paswt said:

The 'digger' was  on top of one ton bags of ballast in the river bed ( raising the river bed by about a metre)and access for the digger was gained by taking down the wall diverting the river into the road on the night when a weather warning was given of heavy rain . I remember commenting on the stupidity of the contractor on the afternoon before the flood. the Digger's bucket was being used to mix a concrete mix and make it easily available   to construct a 'salmon ladder' on the far side of the river .  

To claim that the digger and the hole in the wall were not contributing factors to the flooding of properties adjacent to and further down the road is demonstrably a nonsense . Just saying

I can't remember the final outcome. I agree the digger and the hole in the wall might well have changed what happened. IIRC the investigator stated though that it was not the cause of the flooding. The river overtopped the banks downstream of the digger so that would have been worse if the digger wasn't there wouldn't it?  A lot of the damage to properties in the vicinity of the digger might have been avoided though if there wasn't a hole in the wall, but would that have been at the expense of properties lower down.

I think that what everyone does agree on is that was a pretty dumb ass thing to do to leave a digger in the river and a hole in the wall when there was a flood warning in place!