Laxey in the Sea

x-in-man

6 hours ago, slinkydevil said:

Could it be that the waste from that mine was just dumped and so it's loose AF  and just had natural overgrowth overtime, but now it's been disturbed... whoosh!

Or maybe that's the wrong location?

download-1.png

If it is the right location then a huge amount of planning permission and previous building has already gone on it? How did that ever get approved if so?

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

If it is the right location then a huge amount of planning permission and previous building has already gone on it? How did that ever get approved if so?

Are you talking about planning for the original cafe or about the new planning for the dwellings? 

9 minutes ago, Banker said:

Who owns the site & who’s actually doing the excavation, surely their insurance companies will be liable?

This slippage/erosion will impact insurance costs for neighboring properties on cliff bit like the flooding in Laxey 

The insurance will only pay out if the insured is liable to put it right.  You can expect quite a bit of arguing on that one, but the thing needs sorting now. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The insurance will only pay out if the insured is liable to put it right.  You can expect quite a bit of arguing on that one, but the thing needs sorting now. 

The insurance company will pay out if landslip is included in their cover. If the landslip was caused by anything other than natural forces then the insurance company will seek to claim from any third party who might be deemed to have caused it. That could become  protracted. I believe they would still pay out to the property owner regardless. I have known insurance companies refuse to settle if they believe that the damage was caused by a defect in the construction. Again cases like that can become protracted and complicated. 

In my experience, its difficult to get insurance for houses that are on the edge of cliffs and insurance companies might insist on exclusions for specific risks. They certainly will from now on as you rightly say.

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Are you talking about planning for the original cafe or about the new planning for the dwellings? 

The planning for the existing and now-threatened buildings at the top of the cliff?

If that picture shows the correct location (and it could well be IMHO) then those buildings may well have been constructed on top of the old mine site with its associated spoil?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The planning for the existing and now-threatened buildings at the top of the cliff?

If that picture shows the correct location (and it could well be IMHO) then those buildings may well have been constructed on top of the old mine site with its associated spoil?

If that’s the case it should have shown up in original searches by lawyers &planning applications but unsure when they were built?

27 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The insurance company will pay out if landslip is included in their cover. If the landslip was caused by anything other than natural forces then the insurance company will seek to claim from any third party who might be deemed to have caused it. That could become  protracted. I believe they would still pay out to the property owner regardless. I have known insurance companies refuse to settle if they believe that the damage was caused by a defect in the construction. Again cases like that can become protracted and complicated. 

In my experience, its difficult to get insurance for houses that are on the edge of cliffs and insurance companies might insist on exclusions for specific risks. They certainly will from now on as you rightly say.

It's the insurance payout to put it right we are talking about, not the householders' insurance.  As you say, waiting for the insurance to settle will be protracted.