Laxey in the Sea

x-in-man

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

It's the insurance payout to put it right we are talking about, not the householders' insurance.  As you say, waiting for the insurance to settle will be protracted.  

My elderly parents property was hit by a car.  They had to claim on their own house insurance the damage caused, l can't remember what the reason was as the driver was fully insured. I remember my father was furious at the time because the damage was caused by the driver of the vehicle.

This is probably irrelevant but l think insurance can be extremely complicated and never appears straight forward. 

32 minutes ago, Lilly said:

My elderly parents property was hit by a car.  They had to claim on their own house insurance the damage caused, l can't remember what the reason was as the driver was fully insured. I remember my father was furious at the time because the damage was caused by the driver of the vehicle.

This is probably irrelevant but l think insurance can be extremely complicated and never appears straight forward. 

What normally happens is the household insurer will meet the costs of damage then subrogate (stand in the shoes of the householder) to claim against the party who caused the damage to recoup what they have paid in the claim.   

The problem, as an uninformed observer,  is that the cause of the damage to the houses is actually (hopefully) insured by the party who caused the issue but that cost is likely to be far higher than the likely claim the householder can make on their own insurance.  So, even if the household insurer pays out under that policy, it will only be for the damage to the property and not solve the actual issue.  There may be legal expenses cover in the household policy, but it is not going to be straightforward. 

As usual happy to be corrected. 

Of course  the likely outcome of a claim on the household policy will be that premia will increase and the insurers, having paid out,  will place a condition on the policy to exclude landslide. 

Edited by Gladys
Typo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, paswt said:

The 'digger' was  on top of one ton bags of ballast in the river bed ( raising the river bed by about a metre)and access for the digger was gained by taking down the wall diverting the river into the road on the night when a weather warning was given of heavy rain . I remember commenting on the stupidity of the contractor on the afternoon before the flood. the Digger's bucket was being used to mix a concrete mix and make it easily available   to construct a 'salmon ladder' on the far side of the river .  

To claim that the digger and the hole in the wall were not contributing factors to the flooding of properties adjacent to and further down the road is demonstrably a nonsense . Just saying

comes under the heading "Lying their back teeth out"

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

Of course  the likely outcome of a claim on the household policy will be that premia will increase and the insurers, having paid out,  will place a condition on the policy to exclude landslide. 

Yes you are correct and that's exactly what happened to my parents insurance payments, to a level they struggled to pay.  It was really unfair as they were very safety conscious switching electric items off etc.

I think it's really unfair on the property owners in Laxey that have had to evacuate their home.  They must have been very anxious when the digger arrived, l certainly would have been. I think they need lots of help and support  l do hope they get it.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Lilly said:

Yes you are correct and that's exactly what happened to my parents insurance payments, to a level they struggled to pay.  It was really unfair as they were very safety conscious switching electric items off etc.

I think it's really unfair on the property owners in Laxey that have had to evacuate their home.  They must have been very anxious when the digger arrived, l certainly would have been. I think they need lots of help and support  l do hope they get it.

Rotten situation, that's for sure. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Again, what on earth did they think would happen when they started digging into the soil, vegetation and rock?

That there would be a huge profit margin on completion and sale of the project?

After all, it had to be completely safe, a Minister with no qualification in civil engineering had overruled qualified expertise and given the go ahead.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

That there would be a huge profit margin on completion and sale of the project?

After all, it had to be completely safe, a Minister with no qualification in civil engineering had overruled qualified expertise and given the go ahead.

Exactly. That MHK needs to be held o account 

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

He’s not an MHK anymore!!

Exactly. Fecking great job, innit? £75k a year, as many fuck ups as you can make and no tab at the end of it. Zilch. Just a healthy pension if you can keep your cock-ups at arm's length for the duration.

Who are the mugs here, us or them?

• Like 2