Cavendish: Sponsorship row triggered over sunglasses

HelmutX

On 3/24/2023 at 9:37 AM, Weliveinhope said:

I'll never understood why we havent used the likes of Cav and Peter Kennaugh etc to promote the island. I mean what better role models for an outdoor active lifestyle could you want than a TDF legend and an olympic champion. Yet we erect statues of pop stars who lived here for 5 minutes and comedians from the 30s.

We haven’t got the kind of money to pay them!

• Like 2

On 3/24/2023 at 9:37 AM, Weliveinhope said:

I'll never understood why we havent used the likes of Cav and Peter Kennaugh etc to promote the island. I mean what better role models for an outdoor active lifestyle could you want than a TDF legend and an olympic champion. Yet we erect statues of pop stars who lived here for 5 minutes and comedians from the 30s.

I take it you are a cyclist.

But cycling is a niche market. People interested in that sport will have an understanding or knowledge  of those two individuals you mention, others may just have a vague notion of whom one of those is. 

The Bee Gees though are known internationally and have been an important part of the entertainment industry. Think of all the hits they have had ( and those they have written for other people). Beside that relatively few people are interested in the Tour de France (you obviously are though).

So if you are looking for the likes of whoever to promote the Island it is surely better to focus on those connected here with the greatest degree of fame and recognition, no matter how tenuous the connection ( and The Bee Gees being born here is not that tenuous).

Say if Stanley Gibbons, the stamp collecting man,  had spent a decade of his life here do you think maybe we should have a bronze statue of him on the prom? Stamp collectors may say so.

Edited by The Voice of Reason
  • Like 3

On 3/25/2023 at 9:36 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

I take it you are a cyclist.

But cycling is a niche market. People interested in that sport will have an understanding or knowledge  of those two individuals you mention, others may just have a vague notion of whom one of those is. 

The Bee Gees though are known internationally and have been an important part of the entertainment industry. Think of all the hits they have had ( and those they have written for other people). Beside that relatively few people are interested in the Tour de France (you obviously are though).

So if you are looking for the likes of whoever to promote the Island it is surely better to focus on those connected here with the greatest degree of fame and recognition, no matter how tenuous the connection ( and The Bee Gees being born here is not that tenuous).

Say if Stanley Gibbons, the stamp collecting man,  had spent a decade of his life here do you think maybe we should have a bronze statue of him on the prom? Stamp collectors may say so.

What does wether I'm a cyclist or not have to do with it? Cycling isnt particularly niche, and I'm sure promoting the island as a cycling destination would be more beneficial than promoting the island to Bee Gees fans. What would they do once they got here, look at a statue? You have a lot more to offer cyclists than music fans.

• Like 2

Some places treat their sports heroes as idols.

You only have to look at Cristiano Ronaldo and his birthplace, Madeira.

He has statues, waxworks, a museum, an airport named after him, etc... etc... etc...

Not that I m suggesting that Cavendish  or Kennaugh should be considered to be in the same league (please not!!!!)

46 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

What does wether I'm a cyclist or not have to do with it? Cycling isnt particularly niche, and I'm sure promoting the island as a cycling destination would be more beneficial than promoting the island to Bee Gees fans.

Please God no. We have enough home grown Lycra louts without seeking to attract more from other shores. 

I don’t think the Bee Gees statue is being promoted as a tourist attraction. I don’t think there are many who would go to the trouble and expense to get here solely to have their photograph taken next to the Brothers Gibb

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Please God no. We have enough home grown Lycra louts without seeking to attract more from other shores. 

I don’t think the Bee Gees statue is being promoted as a tourist attraction. I don’t think there are many who would go to the trouble and expense to get here solely to have their photograph taken next to the Brothers Gibb

but you were trying to convey the bee gees as a better promoter of the island than the cyclists. You clearly dont like cyclists, which is fine, but it seems to prejudice your point of view with regards to this dicsussion.