DoI - More of the same

Passing Time

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

Is this so that people working at Manx Utilities find it easier to cross the road on their way to do a spot of shopping at Eden Park.

I don't recall seeing queues of people trying to cross the road at that point.

No that puzzled me as well.  You wouldn't think that traffic was normally continuous enough to need a controlled crossing at that point, at least for most of the day.  It would be interesting to see the formal case for such 'improvements' - other than "We need to give our mate [X] some work".

15 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Is this so that people working at Manx Utilities find it easier to cross the road on their way to do a spot of shopping at Eden Park.

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No that puzzled me as well.  You wouldn't think that traffic was normally continuous enough to need a controlled crossing at that point, at least for most of the day.  It would be interesting to see the formal case for such 'improvements' - other than "We need to give our mate [X] some work".

Loads of people from the IOM business park go across the Rileys at lunchtime and that road does need a crossing TBF. Perhaps long  overdue

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Loads of people cross that road every day, and people drive far too quickly down there.

Seems like a decent shout to me, and the layout actually looks like it was probably planned in years ago.

31 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Loads of people cross that road every day, and people drive far too quickly down there.

Seems like a decent shout to me, and the layout actually looks like it was probably planned in years ago.

Does it have to be controlled by lights? Why not a combination of calming measures and signs?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Does it have to be controlled by lights? Why not a combination of calming measures and signs?

Thats a good point. An old fashioned zebra would be more than sufficient. I prefer them anyway. Lights are a PIA. You press the button and FA happens for 5 minutes. In the meantime you get fed up and take the chance on crossing unaided. If anyone is reading.......can this be considered?

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Have you seen the traffic that goes in and out of there?

Bus, loads of wagons, thousands of cars everyday.  Why should they all slow down and impact fuel economy and put wear on their vehicles every time they drive through there?

I wouldn’t trust a zebra anyway (not that they are allowed in a 40) visibility is not great over the rise and you have two entrances to contend with.

At just the wrong side of 50 and still fairly nimble I can break into a jog if needed.  Not everyone is so lucky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

Have you seen the traffic that goes in and out of there?

Bus, loads of wagons, thousands of cars everyday.  Why should they all slow down and impact fuel economy and put wear on their vehicles every time they drive through there?

I wouldn’t trust a zebra anyway (not that they are allowed in a 40) visibility is not great over the rise and you have two entrances to contend with.

At just the wrong side of 50 and still fairly nimble I can break into a jog if needed.  Not everyone is so lucky.

Run, Forest run! Not 100% sure of road layout is wide enough there but a central refuge to allow cars to wait to turn right (allowing through traffice to pass safely) and protect pedestrians crossing. Narrowing the lane a bit would also naturally slow traffice too.