Snuff the Windfarm

b4mbi

3 hours ago, Declan said:

I don't think you can retrospectively change employee pension rights. It's in every contract of employment.

But morally it's suspect too, people sold their labour based on the pension deal put to them, to then say "ah no we got that wrong - have this instead" is pretty shoddy and a dangerous precedent. People can't go back in time and take another job or defer their retirement to bump up the return. 

Also if the people who regulate the pension market behaved like that nobody in the private sector would take out an IOM based pension or investment, because they could just change the rules at some point in the future. 

What like raising the state pension age from 65 to 68? Oh but that's alright because it's just the government screwing us. Again.

Maybe the CS should be increased the same if we are "all in it together". Nope didn't think so. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I'm not sure you can alter someone's personal pension once they have started drawing it. I might be wrong. Someone will be along to tell us.

I think Ireland did with their Financial Emergency Measures in their Public Interest Act 2010.

I cba looking up any details...

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Don't think so.  Profitt wants onshore. 

The Danes want offshore off Maughold (that energy goldrush region of the Isle it seems).  Wonder if they mean the Bahama Bank? 

Wouldn't off Maughold head be the worst possible choice what with the prevailing winds being predominantly from the west?

So this is the same guy responsible for us not moving to renewables and paying well over the odds for electricity for the last two decades because we're servicing his illegal loan, wanting to build a wind farm on an area of land that you can't ride a motorcycle over for fear of disturbing heavy metals to accumulate in Peel marina.

It sounds so nonsensical it's almost a dead cert than Tynwald will back it.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

What like raising the state pension age from 65 to 68? Oh but that's alright because it's just the government screwing us. Again.

Maybe the CS should be increased the same if we are "all in it together". Nope didn't think so. 

Retirement age increase is not retrospective though, we’ve been given decades of warning. And it’s not an agreed employment contract term. 

If CS retirement age increased it would just increase their pensions when they do retire. 

Just now, A fool and his money..... said:

So this is the same guy responsible for us not moving to renewables and paying well over the odds for electricity for the last two decades because we're servicing his illegal loan, wanting to build a wind farm on an area of land that you can't ride a motorcycle over for fear of disturbing heavy metals to accumulate in Peel marina.

It sounds so nonsensical it's almost a dead cert than Tynwald will back it.

Chancer has got to chance. Wonder how the greenies will deal with that dilema toxic metals kiling a few fish and hardy swimmers vs saving the entire planet and the human race(apparently). Queen Greta is bound to turn up eventually.

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

South West arnt they?

Yep.

18 minutes ago, finlo said:

Wouldn't off Maughold head be the worst possible choice what with the prevailing winds being predominantly from the west?

I'm no windfarm expert, but I'd probably say it wouldn't make much of a difference. Certainly the wind shadow from the Isle only ever goes out max 1km and the farm would likely be further out than that.

They are also pretty tall. 

Plus they'd be slightly more sheltered from the predominant wave direction if that makes much of a difference.

Edited by The Phantom

Just now, Declan said:

Retirement age increase is not retrospective though, we’ve been given decades of warning. And it’s not an agreed employment contract term. 

If CS retirement age increased it would just increase their pensions when they do retire. 

It is retrospective if it changes after you went into employment though. And it hasn't ended yet.

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

They could put the normal retirement age but the only wffect it would have is on the reduction for early retirement. That's 5% for every year before 65 currently.  

Just now, The Phantom said:

Yep.

I'm no windfarm expert, but I'd probably say it wouldn't make much of a difference. Certainly the wind shadow from the Isle only ever goes out max 1km and the farm would likely be further out than that.

Plus they'd be slightly more sheltered from the predominant wave direction if that makes much of a difference.

It would make a big difference for construction and maintenance access.

• Like 1

I notice that his address is now Hope Street, I always wondered why he sold his huge mansion at Poolvaish and his Bentley in double quick time the minute the shit hit the fan over the MEA !

He may have wanted to move and get a small runabout, then again there could have been other reasons !