Snuff the Windfarm

b4mbi

16 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

So this is the same guy responsible for us not moving to renewables and paying well over the odds for electricity for the last two decades because we're servicing his illegal loan, wanting to build a wind farm on an area of land that you can't ride a motorcycle over for fear of disturbing heavy metals to accumulate in Peel marina.

It sounds so nonsensical it's almost a dead cert than Tynwald will back it.

Ironically he actually had a successful career in renewable energy before he got involved in the MEA debacle. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Declan said:

If CS retirement age increased it would just increase their pensions when they do retire. 

why ?  your pension maxes out after X amount of years , i know one CS ( dead now ) that was whining they still had to pay into something for no extra benefit , i think it was their CS pension but it could have been NI for a state pension

11 hours ago, b4mbi said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/former-mea-chief-exec-unveils-200m-wind-farm-plans/

IOMG, do you want to borrow my bargepole?

Unless he shows you the money, and repays what he has cost this island....

I must say, if I was an entrepreneur and wanted a figurehead to sell this on the Isle of man, his name would not have sprung to mind.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

It is retrospective if it changes after you went into employment though. And it hasn't ended yet.

Not really. It’s just a state benefit. It’s not a term of your employment. You couldn’t shop around and take another job where the state pension would be paid earlier. They change benefits levels and entitlement all the time. 

It’s a bit of a pain I guess but since I’ve only worked in the Private Sector and don’t have a final salary scheme I’ll have to work to that sort of age anyway irrespective of the state retirement age. 

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

Not really. It’s just a state benefit. It’s not a term of your employment. You couldn’t shop around and take another job where the state pension would be paid earlier. They change benefits levels and entitlement all the time. 

It’s a bit of a pain I guess but since I’ve only worked in the Private Sector and don’t have a final salary scheme I’ll have to work to that sort of age anyway irrespective of the state retirement age. 

My intial point was that government changing the terms of an agreement retrospectively for public or CS pensions are morally the same and so if you can do one then you can do the other.

21 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

My intial point was that government changing the terms of an agreement retrospectively for public or CS pensions are morally the same and so if you can do one then you can do the other.

You’re not comparing like with like. 

The state benefit age increase isn’t retrospective.  The government change the amount of the state pension each year - is that “retrospective”?  Unemployment benefits, sick pay rates etc are always changing. 

There wasn’t an agreement with the public that the National Insurance benefits paid when you entered the workforce would be identical throughout your working life.

The CS pension scheme is a contract that one side can’t just rewrite and pay less for time already worked. It would be like an employer saying “you know that overtime you did 10 years ago at double time, well we’ve now decided it’s time and a half, please find attached an invoice for the difference.”

Edited by Declan