QE2 and Peel castle evacuated, police on scene??

doc.fixit

13 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

To use modern parlance:

Chat shit, get banged. 

Why? I'm assuming you don't mean that if you tell a lie then you should get gaoled. Do you never lie?

There are certain things that we have in society that deal with speech. For LGBT people that includes dealing with how speech is used to oppress. Some of that is law and some is education. 

28 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Inciting violence seems understandable.  Inciting hatred is another thing.  

Yet in the context of all of this whole drama, the most that might be said is that a lie is being used to suppress recognition of LGBT people and practices.  That's a really bad thing but it wouldn't be a direct action to incite hatred.  That would only be incidental if it arose.  

If you went on the news and lied about a company and their share prices dropped, would that be a crime? Maybe you're right. What's the law there? I'm inclined to think that shouldn't be a crime.

The email sent to the police clearly refers to 'drag queens' and I'd argue that this (False) threat to life of children and the peole of Mann was caused by bigoted lies.

Refer to an exchange I had with @TheTeapot on approach to education in schools. I share his thoughts.

But has set the Island back and directly caused yesterdays fiasco.

28 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

Why? I'm assuming you don't mean that if you tell a lie then you should get gaoled. Do you never lie?

There are certain things that we have in society that deal with speech. For LGBT people that includes dealing with how speech is used to oppress. Some of that is law and some is education. 

Banged in this sense doesn’t mean gaoled. It’s simply a hip and happening way of saying actions have consequences.

Play with fire, get burned etc.

If you suffer negative consequences of wilfully trying to stir up hatred towards a group of people, then you’re really not in a situation to earn much sympathy. 

8 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

The email sent to the police clearly refers to 'drag queens' and I'd argue that this (False) threat to life of children and the peole of Mann was caused by bigoted lies.

Refer to an exchange I had with @TheTeapot on approach to education in schools. I share his thoughts.

Why did they send it to IoM Law Society?

23 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Yes, a bomb threat about degenerates and drag queen is a lie from a bigot or just someone who is crackers and any sex ed lies are from bigoted people but the former get punished severely because of the threats.  This lie has a threat of killing people. Where do you draw the line with speech? I wouldn't be including deluded religious people making up shit about sex ed classes.  I would include bomb threat hoaxes. 

People do face the consequences of lies. They look like liars and get a lot of criticism and disrespect.

I don't know it about it setting the island back. I don't think any of the drag queen drama has set the island back.  It's a lot of fuss over something that turned out to not be true. If anything, some of the things that have been discussed as part of this drama have brought more visibility and education to adults than they would have had otherwise.  The certain setback is the hold placed on sex education.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

32 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

So a Turkmenistan swimmer sent a bomb threat to mcn-news.co.uk, with a copy to enquiries@gov.im. Things are getting serious.

Actually that is men-news.co.uk which is the Manchester Evening News domain: www.men-news.co.uk and then also interesting the “business development team” is a saved contact name not a cut and paste address. So you have a Turkmenistani swimmer emailing a Manchester newspaper and then copying in some more random UK email addresses including talk.tv a well know right wing troll channel that employs twats like Piers Morgan and news.co.uk which is Murdocks news group owner of the Sun & the Times in a bomb hoax over drag queens in schools. Then a few obvious IOM addresses have been thrown in without any real effort being taken to track down the right email addresses for gov.im etc. 

Edited by FANDL
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I think there were always people who would not accept it no matter what was said and by whom. 

What I do believe however is that if there had been a statement issued earlier then Nigel Farage et al. would not have been running their interviews or news reports and that they would have been on dodgy ground to do so after an official announcement, thereby not giving the hystericals an outlet for their nonsense. 

I would have preferred a 24 hour response from the headteacher tbh, but, as Roger has pointed out, once government gets involved it’s all taken out of the hands of the people at the coal face. 

Harry Galbraith wouldn’t have allowed this to happen - that’s for sure. Different days, different approaches. 

I agree, if it had broken the day or a few days after the event.

It was months, and so it takes time to dig back that far and find out

49 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Does he self-identify as a libertarian? That's surprises me. I'd have rated him as being closer to authoritarian populism.

He's the standard sort of person who describes themself as a 'libertarian'.  He thinks he should be free to do whatever he wants and everyone else should be obliged to do whatever he wants.  And pay him for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

He's the standard sort of person who describes themself as a 'libertarian'.  He thinks he should be free to do whatever he wants and everyone else should be obliged to do whatever he wants.  And pay him for it.

What a f*cking liberty!

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Not only does he describe as a libertarian, he acts exactly like an American libertarian. Libertarians and liberals are vastly different. Libertarians are the ones who want child labour back in exchange for no Govt taxes.

Here's their flag:

oueffy10p7d41.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1