QE2 and Peel castle evacuated, police on scene??

doc.fixit

This outrage has been a manna from heaven for qe2 school as it completely deflects from the real fact that the children are not being educated at all. No teachers, constant supply teachers if they turn up. 
my son since September hasn’t had a proper science teacher yet, one double lesson is blagged every week. The English lesson has now been taken over by a maths teacher as she just volunteered to do it, who incidentally is Chinese and English isn’t the best. Another shambles. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gizo said:

This outrage has been a manna from heaven for qe2 school as it completely deflects from the real fact that the children are not being educated at all. No teachers, constant supply teachers if they turn up. 
my son since September hasn’t had a proper science teacher yet, one double lesson is blagged every week. The English lesson has now been taken over by a maths teacher as she just volunteered to do it, who incidentally is Chinese and English isn’t the best. Another shambles. 

I would suggest supporting the union action then, that has been trying to tackle this education crisis for years and write to your MHK/DESC in support. 

Not enough teachers, not enough nurses, not enough pharmacists. The decline is visible to all.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Mr Snaefell said:

I would suggest supporting the union action then, that has been trying to tackle this education crisis for years and write to your MHK/DESC in support. 

Not enough teachers, not enough nurses, not enough pharmacists. The decline is visible to all.

Wouldn’t support a union in a million years.  Unions are ineffectual in every department.  

2 hours ago, Mr Snaefell said:

The teachers that pressed for the removal of Ofsted and testing/benchmarking? So now students that leave primary school have no development assessments?

Teachers' unions generally result in worse outcomes for students (and better for teachers), e.g. https://www.aeaweb.org/conference/2018/preliminary/1282

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What would be an acceptable number of dentists in the government?

What term would you use to refer to a group of dentists?

I always wondered the same about advocates and decided on "a haunting of advocates".

Edited by Chie
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Mercenary said:

The teachers that pressed for the removal of Ofsted and testing/benchmarking? So now students that leave primary school have no development assessments?

Teachers' unions generally result in worse outcomes for students (and better for teachers), e.g. https://www.aeaweb.org/conference/2018/preliminary/1282

It's an interesting, if somewhat bizarre paper which really has little relevance outside a US context. What it inadvertently demonstrates is that too little is spent on education and that where pay deals are collectively negotiated there is lower investment in other areas of education, with a negative impact on pupil outcomes. There's a lesson for us all.

15 hours ago, Gizo said:

Fair enough but I’m not exactly sure what an individual school in the middle of the Irish Sea can do about constant staffing shortages.  Perhaps the spurious “drag queen” fiasco hasn’t helped recruitment?  Sadly some of the loudest voices on here have claimed teachers have the very best deal in the entire British Isles yet here is anecdotal evidence of ongoing staffing shortages.  It is entirely regrettable that classes are constantly covered by supply staff, who incidentally are on zero hours contracts, but the ongoing dispute has constantly highlighted staff shortages with mixed public support.  Maybe people are only interested when they are directly affected?  For reference, this post has been advertised for maybe the 5th or 6th time since September, how many kids haven’t had a Geography teacher all year?
image.thumb.jpeg.88f6dca57fd588a7326cecd1dc53cc04.jpeg

As always, I blame the teachers.

27 minutes ago, Meoir Shee said:

Fair enough but I’m not exactly sure what an individual school in the middle of the Irish Sea can do about constant staffing shortages.  Perhaps the spurious “drag queen” fiasco hasn’t helped recruitment?  Sadly some of the loudest voices on here have claimed teachers have the very best deal in the entire British Isles yet here is anecdotal evidence of ongoing staffing shortages.  It is entirely regrettable that classes are constantly covered by supply staff, who incidentally are on zero hours contracts, but the ongoing dispute has constantly highlighted staff shortages with mixed public support.  Maybe people are only interested when they are directly affected?  For reference, this post has been advertised for maybe the 5th or 6th time since September, how many kids haven’t had a Geography teacher all year?
image.thumb.jpeg.88f6dca57fd588a7326cecd1dc53cc04.jpeg

As always, I blame the teachers.

So what's the answer?

So a geography teacher, who is expected to know all about drumlins, beaded eskers and terminal moraines (and has been taught how to handle recalcitrant pupils) is worth as little as £36,000. An MHK who is required to know bugger-all is worth £71,000.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3