QE2 and Peel castle evacuated, police on scene??

doc.fixit

9 minutes ago, maynragh said:

JT and Energy taking some flak now eh. I don’t think he has ever made a secret of the fact he thinks the IOM is not fit to self govern. Whatever you think, he’s done a great job of generating traffic for his business with a side bonus of displaying how inept and easily manipulated the people at the top of our governmental structure are (again), to the backdrop of moronic mob shrieking on all sides. Spineless wasters in charge is the most concerning point proven by yet another embarrassing debacle. I bet JT’s probably laughing his cock off, booking another first class transatlantic ticket on the proceeds as we speak. He’s a sharp cookie.

He's not. He was thick as shit at school and would have got nowhere without family backing. Sharp as a cookie, perhaps.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Actually, so do the DESC. 

A quicker response would have avoided a huge amount of it. 

15 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Yes really. 

It should never have taken weeks and weeks before an official announcement was made. 

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

But, the larger issue here is that Julie Edge, as Minister of the DESC is totally ineffectual in taking a stand against anything contentious. This could have been handled by her and the CEO in a day and a clear message delivered to the public. 

32 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

That’s very true but I still believe there’s a degree of incompetence here and it’s being hidden behind an outside enquiry. 

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

You’re doing that thing again. That thing where you keep repeating the same thing in the same thread. Be careful you don’t out yourself too soon. You’ve been doing pretty well up till now. 😘

Just saying 😜

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Harry Lamb said:

He's not. He was thick as shit at school and would have got nowhere without family backing. Sharp as a cookie, perhaps.

It may be true that he’s not particularly academically gifted (I don’t know), and that he’s also been more fortunate than he would probably openly acknowledge in terms of opportunity (I was also told he won a local lottery when he was younger?), but that doesn’t cancel out the fact that he’s clearly very cunning and ruthless - which has stood him in good stead in career & business. That doesn’t mean he’s a likable character (quite the opposite), but that’s not the point I was making. No matter what is being thrown at him now this whole episode will probably be in his favour (financially at least), no matter what the outcome for the community. With a side bonus for him that he’s made all those in charge look like idiots again. 

6 minutes ago, maynragh said:

With a side bonus for him that he’s made all those in charge look like idiots again. 

That's not too difficult to do in fairness, as they are the gift that likes to keep on giving.

Edited by Mysteron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Apart from that there’s no doubt that the Energy interview was a car crash and should never have happened. 

But, the larger issue here is that Julie Edge, as Minister of the DESC is totally ineffectual in taking a stand against anything contentious. This could have been handled by her and the CEO in a day and a clear message delivered to the public. That she’s ineffectual in doing ‘the hard stuff’ and instead referred it to an external source so she didn’t have to, is what we should be concerned about. 

I wonder how much we can blame Edge and even DESC here.  The reaction here is very much the sort we've seen from Cannan and the civil service in other situations.  They keep their heads down, stop all communication and refuse to let others communicate as well.  They get some mates to look at it for them at great expense, so as to reassure them that everything's OK.

The important thing is that they remain in charge at all times and no one else is allowed to challenge that by acting without their say so.  Of course they don't actually know what to do themselves (especially if they can't just copy what the English do) and the situation can get out of control, but then they will just hire more people to tell them that it isn't their fault.

So I suspect that Edge and the DESC management were told that it was the Cabinet Office's job to communicate with the media and they and the school were forbidden to communicate in any way (I noticed the Head's Twitter account was closed down for example).  Of course a speedy response would be quicker and more effective, but it would mean that underlings were taking control and that would undermine the self-importance of those at the top.

And if it goes wrong it won't be them who bear the consequences.  No one is threatening to blow up Government Buildings and the Tower of Refuge are they?

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Like 6

52 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I wonder how much we can blame Edge and even DESC here.  The reaction here is very much the sort we've seen from Cannan and the civil service in other situations.  They keep their heads down, stop all communication and refuse to let others communicate as well.  They get some mates to look at it for them at great expense, so as to reassure them that everything's OK.

The important thing is that they remain in charge at all times and no one else is allowed to challenge that by acting without their say so.  Of course they don't actually know what to do themselves (especially if they can't just copy what the English do) and the situation can get out of control, but then they will just hire more people to tell them that it isn't their fault.

So I suspect that Edge and the DESC management were told that it was the Cabinet Office's job to communicate with the media and they and the school were forbidden to communicate in any way (I noticed the Head's Twitter account was closed down for example).  Of course a speedy response would be quicker and more effective, but it would mean that underlings were taking control and that would undermine the self-importance of those at the top.

And if it goes wrong it won't be them who bear the consequences.  No one is threatening to blow up Government Buildings and the Tower of Refuge are they?

100% it starts at the top… however you shouldn’t be letting Edge off the hook that easily. She’s given the position and the money by the system, but she’s only able to accept that because of the deal she made with the electorate. Has she acted in their interest first here? You could argue that she has by following the orders she’s signed up to accept I guess, but is following orders always right? Hmmm…

• Like 1

The reality is that Energy FM and Matthew Cheetham have to take responsibility for their bigotry potentially causing the lives of children to be at risk. Not the original act of what they say happened, we now know didn't as they said it did.

They all lauded up the press coverage and it was inevitable some nutter would do something at some point.

Shame on the organisation and the person on GB News. Shame on them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

That email has got Peel kids written all over it.

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I would say this is down to kids, who else would threaten to bomb a ruined building even if it is a Castle.     Probably a kid that fancied a day off school and is shitting itself now in case it gets found out, and did not even get it’s day off.    

No way. A kid would have done it in the morning. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

I would say this is down to kids, who else would threaten to bomb a ruined building even if it is a Castle.     Probably a kid that fancied a day off school and is shitting itself now in case it gets found out, and did not even get it’s day off.    

I would guess non-resident adult based on the list of people the email was sent to.

• Like 2