MT Huge rises in tarrifs

Max Power

6 minutes ago, Lurking said:

Apparently the biggest benefactor by far of the MEAs spending of millions to keep electricity prices low has been MT who are its biggest commercial consumer. So now electricity is going to go up hugely they’ll need to be able to screw people over even more than we’ve been screwed over subsidizing all electricity consumers rather than just domestic electricity users in the last year. 

Nobles Hospital is the MUA's biggest consumer apparently. Read something on Twitter about it a few weeks ago.

Got to pay for all the off island contractors installing fibre everywhere. It's not like the government paid them £10 million pound or something.... oh wait they did didn't they. 

No wonder an MHK (I forget who) was floating the idea of pauper-net for the less advantaged to have an internet connection... when government is effectively moving everything online... and still not reducing head count of course.

This is the same company who didn't even carry spares for a vital piece of equipment and were seemingly moving the outages around the network to share the pain.

Wonder how long before they rebrand to "Island Communications". Maybe it's time the market was opened up to any UK based service provider?    

Edited by CallMeCurious
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Got to pay for all the off island contractors installing fibre everywhere. It's not like the government paid them £10 million pound or something.... oh wait they did didn't they. 

No wonder an MHK (I forget who) was floating the idea of pauper-net for the less advantaged to have an internet connection... when government is effectively moving everything online... and still not reducing head count of course.

This is the same company who didn't even carry spares for a vital piece of equipment and were seemingly moving the outages around the network to share the pain.

Wonder how long before they rebrand to "Island Communications". Maybe it's time the market was opened up to any UK based service provider?    

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/social-tariffs

I seem to remember the government here making some phone numbers free for people who are in receipt of benefits.

7 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

And don't forget the MUA owns the sub-sea cable that connects us to the rest of the world, who in turn charges MT to use it.

Win Win for the MUA.

I am in a warmer location at the moment. The owner of the place I rent had fibre installed a couple or so years ago, but now the router has been changed again to use the mobile phone network.

Right now I am getting 210Mb download and 120Mb upload from Speedtest. If that is par for the course, why is Manx Telecom concerned about installing fibre with all the associated costs?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

And don't forget the MUA owns the sub-sea cable that connects us to the rest of the world, who in turn charges MT to use it.

Win Win for the MUA.

Same for the gas pipeline. MUA own and run it then charge Manx Gas to use it.... fishier than Peel in kipper season. https://www.manxutilities.im/about-us/our-assets/electricity/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I am in a warmer location at the moment. The owner of the place I rent had fibre installed a couple or so years ago, but now the router has been changed again to use the mobile phone network.

Right now I am getting 210Mb download and 120Mb upload from Speedtest. If that is par for the course, why is Manx Telecom concerned about installing fibre with all the associated costs?

You don’t foresee any issues from the local nutters and tin batters if they put 5g everywhere, and then put the prices up to cover the huge associated costs?