MT Huge rises in tarrifs

Max Power

11 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

We can kick off with Charlie Kerruish (although his aspirations would certainly have been coloured by his own perceived gains). Then Allan Bell picked it up and ran with it.

It was all fuelled by how well the Island was "doing" awash with money, some wanted us up on the top table with the big boys of the planet. In the top eight wealthiest nations on the globe, then on the cusp of putting a man into space as well. Just the thing to put gloss on political aspirations and careers.

All complete bollocks because they'd forgotten who and what they really were and most importantly - how and where that tide of money was coming from...

Now we are dealing with the fallout as an aftermath.

Miles Walker. Walter Gilby.

13 hours ago, Ativa said:

It is not telecoms responsibility to install ducting for a phone line.

Never has been and never will be.

Knocking them for that is just silly.

The ducting in my garden had collapsed so it couldn't be used to upgrade to fibre.  So my neighbour (who had the same issue) and I shared the cost of putting a duct in following a different route from the nearest junction box to our properties. Stephen Christian and Sons did it, and it cost around 400 each. 

It was clear that the ducting across our gardens to the house was our responsibility.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The ducting in my garden had collapsed so it couldn't be used to upgrade to fibre.  So my neighbour (who had the same issue) and I shared the cost of putting a duct in following a different route from the nearest junction box to our properties. Stephen Christian and Sons did it, and it cost around 400 each. 

It was clear that the ducting across our gardens to the house was our responsibility.  

That is the case with all utilities apart from electricity afaik. I'm fairly sure it's the same with gas, but definitely, telecoms, water, drainage, foul sewer are all your to the boundary of your property. 

Electricity is MUA up to wherever your main fuse is. 

27 minutes ago, Ativa said:

If you are on copper broadband and this impacts you then you are a bit stuck if you can’t get fibre.  If you can, then most people will just upgrade to fibre.

If your mobile contract is going up then it must be an old contract and you can just switch to one of the new ones that is currently for sale, and will end up getting better value.

Either way, the increases are industry wide at this time of year and telecoms are among the lowest I can find and applied to less products than most in the UK.

I recall don’t see that people have much to moan about here but it is nice to see people still trying.  

That’s the point though, it targets quite a lot of folk at their lower end. If you’re on copper ADSL because that’s all you need/can afford, then it’s a big hit.

MT want to sunset the copper network as quickly as possible. So, I can see why they’re trying to motivate people onto fibre, but Christ it isn’t cheap.

MT can’t get internet to your home on their latest plans for less than £50 a month.

For copper, 16Mbps ADSL, MT would charge £29.45 plus line rental from £20.75 a month. So just north of £50. 

In the UK, NOW TV will offer you ADSL and line rental for a whopping £18 a month all in. (Moneysavingexpert has provided all my actual figures) 

But, let’s compare the modern stuff too, bear in mind, the network infrastructure looks an awful lot like OpenReach’s, especially when that’s written on the boxes.

MT 200mbps fibre, their “pro supercharged” tier, £72.60 a month.

Virgin will do 250mbps for £23.95 a month, with a £100 gift card back too, bringing the price down further. Vodafone will do 200mbps for £30 a month, again with a £100 gift card thrown in too.

Note that these are showing notable increases in price over last year too. 

So, we’re paying twice as much.

3 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Not everywhere has this BT offer.

12 Month Broadband Deals | Short Term Broadband | BT

Makes sense, I just used my postcode from where I used to live in the UK.

Still nowhere near £100 a month though.

Those fibre speeds are similar to copper here. And it’s £38 there, and well north of £55 here. And 12% of £55 is more than 15% of £35. So actually our increases are bigger.

Same with Manx Gas, the private equity vultures are just robbing us blind.

Edited by Ringy Rose

FWIW, just done some sums and for a swap to basic fibre from basic ADSL - with two 15gb pay monthly mobiles with unlimited calls and texts with enough roaming for a couple of holidays.. all in an extra 40p a month. 

(For that we downgraded all the landline stuff to basic - just what was needed for data because we did not use the landline). 

• Thanks 1

I got a  letter that read like 10% increase for inflation and 2.5% for electricity prices. 

However, electricity price rises must be factored into the inflation rate. So that's a double dip? Or am I misunderstanding?

13 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

It’s certainly convenient.

”We couldn’t be arsed doing it properly when we installed the phone line, so now it’s your responsibility”. 

Did MT actually do the ducting or did someone else to carry MT's phone line? 

They tested the ducting in my garden when they surveyed for fibre, the ducting was blocked so I assume had collapsed.  It came in from a different direction to the way it is now and would have involved digging up a good part of the garden to repair, if they could find it!  No idea how long it had been there or who did it, but it was clearly my responsibility to put right.  

It wasn't the  huge job I expected, but did involve digging a trench across a private road, once across the road they used a mechanical mole to go under my drive to my house.   Get someone to do a survey of the best way in, there may be a newer junction box which will give easier access.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gladys said:

How long ago was that?

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Eh? You what?

500MB broadband with BT is £30/month.

455MB broadband with Manx Telecom is £100/month.

Bargain(!)

The percentage increases.

Not the monthly costs, those are obviously much lower in parts of the UK for reasons that shouldn’t really need explaining

Edited by Ativa