MT Huge rises in tarrifs

Max Power

8 minutes ago, ptarmigan said:

You have to compare like with like for prices.  Most of the UK outwith urban areas...and  Douglas would barely count as a town in most of UK, doesn't have access to the really cheap prices.

If you compare ADSL, which is bottom end copper and ubiquitous across the Island and UK, then MT are 2 and a bit times the price.

Around £50 vs under £20. See my post on the previous page.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Because we are part of a much smaller market.

And yet, our infrastructure often aligns with what Openreach does, using Openreach branded kit

So, we’ve got access to a commodity supply of equipment, we don’t have the R&D costs associated with developing it either.

Edit to add: using Openreach kit where we can means we also benefit from the economy of scale. We’re basically a rounding error when you compare 27,000 to 28 million households. 

Edited by AcousticallyChallenged
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

Electricity is MUA up to wherever your main fuse is. 

are you sure ?  that would mean the meter is your responsibility and they would have no right to swap them out.

i think after the meter is down to you not the fuse.

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I believe you are right

i had to be eventually.

having listened to the moaning line today there were a few messages in saying that whole streets couldn't get fibre installed and that many were paying £30 quid a month for a phone line they don't use butbhave to have it just to get broadband/internet .   i would suggest they club together and get a starlink set up and set up a mesh ( i think that's what it's called ) and split the costs and tell manx telecon where to go.

Edited by WTF

20 minutes ago, WTF said:

i had to be eventually.

having listened to the moaning line today there were a few messages in saying that whole streets couldn't get fibre installed and that many were paying £30 quid a month for a phone line they don't use butbhave to have it just to get broadband/internet .   i would suggest they club together and get a starlink set up and set up a mesh ( i think that's what it's called ) and split the costs and tell manx telecon where to go.

Indeed. Even in parts of that great metropolis called Onchan some are nowhere near being connected to fibre yet.

Question for CURA chairman & CEO and also OFT:
Have MT finished the Island-wide rollout of fibre yet that we the GMT have handed over £10 million for?? If not then these rises are unfair.

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

Indeed. Even in parts of that great metropolis called Onchan some are nowhere near being connected to fibre yet.

Question for CURA chairman & CEO and also OFT:
Have MT finished the Island-wide rollout of fibre yet that we the GMT have handed over £10 million for?? If not then these rises are unfair.

I think a lot of the rollout was targeting places that couldn’t get good VDSL first.

Lots of Onchan can get 200Mbps over copper, at least, on a good day for contention. 

My Broadband is crap moved from MT to Sure still crap.   I have had to buy three new hand sets in four years as MT insisted it was a fault with the handset.  No 1 turned out to be water had got into the line further down the road No 2 turned out to be a fault at the exchange No 3 turned out to be a lightning strike on one of there boxes.    Pure Michael Mouse comedy.    

7 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I think a lot of the rollout was targeting places that couldn’t get good VDSL first.

Lots of Onchan can get 200Mbps over copper, at least, on a good day for contention. 

But those on VDSL (irrespective of the quality/speed of the connection) are going to get hit with the price increases, those that are on fibre aren't.

However, those VDSL users who are also taxpayers have stumped up part of the £10 million already paid MT to have the connection changed. And it hasn't happened. Why pay more than they should?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ativa said:

Not the monthly costs, those are obviously much lower in parts of the UK for reasons that shouldn’t really need explaining

Yeah, there’s a functioning market in the UK with a functioning regulator, whereas Basalt Infrastructure Partners LLP essentially have a monopoly and a toothless regulator.

My family live in the wilds of the Lake District and pay half what I do in urban Douglas.

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

Did MT actually do the ducting or did someone else to carry MT's phone line? 

I’m one of the properties where there isn’t any ducting, MT just buried the cable in the ground. Apparently “this was common practice in the past” and so it’s not MT’s problem. There’s a flashy PDF factsheet about it on the MT website, so clearly there are a lot of people in the same boat. 

• Haha 1