MT Huge rises in tarrifs

Max Power

3 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

I’m one of the properties where there isn’t any ducting, MT just buried the cable in the ground. Apparently “this was common practice in the past” and so it’s not MT’s problem. There’s a flashy PDF factsheet about it on the MT website, so clearly there are a lot of people in the same boat. 

Even if there is ducting it may not be suitable/fit to carry the fibre as I found out. It doesn't surprise me that years ago cables were laid with no ducting, who'd have thought of broadband and fibre back then?

Like I said, it might be worth getting someone to have a look at how ducting can be installed in the shortest (cheapest) distance.  When looking at my place, there was some talk of surface laying the cable across my garden   but they couldn't find exactly where it went so we opted for  the solution I described. 

• Thanks 1

A lot of the old network was lashed in and these are the ducting problems etc are the consequence of that. As Gladys says this is perhaps forgivable.

What truly beggars belief is that despite millions in investment for the taxpayer they are lashing the new network in in a similar way to the old. Miles of direct burial cable  dug and moled in along the verges along our road without a duct in sight. 

I doubt it will be too many years before problems with the new network will be up to the level of problems with the old one.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

When MT announced their 12% tariff increase in March, they said that the new rates anticipated the uplift in MUA charges for power to 34p per unit (or whatever special discount price they pay, if any) by July. It is appreciated that power is one of the major fixed costs of the business, so any rises will be passed on.

Now that the electricity increase has been restricted to 30p, I wonder if CURA has yet had the obvious conversation with MT about the possibility curtailing the 12% telecoms increase to something less extreme. There is no benefit to the Island in overpaying an international infrastructure investment company for an essential service.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

When MT announced their 12% tariff increase in March, they said that the new rates anticipated the uplift in MUA charges for power to 34p per unit (or whatever special discount price they pay, if any) by July. It is appreciated that power is one of the major fixed costs of the business, so any rises will be passed on.

Now that the electricity increase has been restricted to 30p, I wonder if CURA has yet had the obvious conversation with MT about the possibility curtailing the 12% telecoms increase to something less extreme. There is no benefit to the Island in overpaying an international infrastructure investment company for an essential service.

Very good point. Having been a telecoms customer on the island for most of my adult life, I would put my entire pension pot on nothing changing re the planned 12% increase. Whatever you think of MT one thing the have always been very good at is robbing their customers blind.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Very good point. Having been a telecoms customer on the island for most of my adult life, I would put my entire pension pot on nothing changing re the planned 12% increase. Whatever you think of MT one thing the have always been very good at is robbing their customers blind.

Me too, and my query is very much tongue in cheek. We do have a regulator though. Have they asked the obvious question, and if not, why not?

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, woolley said:

Me too, and my query is very muck tongue in cheek. We do have a regulator though. Have they asked the obvious question, and if not, why not?

It's a great point. I'm guessing they haven't, and if and when they do they'll swallow any bollocks MT give them as to why the 12% rise is still necessary.

36 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

We changed to Sure last week and use our mobiles as hot spots for the lap top. Saved a fortune and the internet is a bit quicker and doesn't keep dropping out!

Well pleased so far.

You finally did it Doc!  I'm delighted it all worked out.

ETA - what does it cost you per month now and how much date do you get for it?

Edited by Roxanne