MT Huge rises in tarrifs

Max Power

I got the MT price increase letter through the post today. Took photos to post here, but got a message that the files were (individually) too big. 

My bill will be going up by 7.04, unless I ditch the paper bill (which I've kept thus far because I'm less likely to forget to pay the darn thing). If (when!) I ditch the paper, it will go up by £3.44. Either way it won't quite break the bank by itself, but when you add in all the other increases... ouch!

By the way, I'm on ADSL+ broadband unlimited, and telephone line rental - basic tariff. 

I never use the landline, so can I ditch that service and just keep the ADSL+ broadband? I was told years ago that I couldn't, although I can't help but wonder if that's actually true. 

18 minutes ago, Zarley said:

By the way, I'm on ADSL+ broadband unlimited, and telephone line rental - basic tariff. 

I never use the landline, so can I ditch that service and just keep the ADSL+ broadband? I was told years ago that I couldn't, although I can't help but wonder if that's actually true. 

I was going to suggest the lowest tier fibre plan as that requires no line rental, and would give you a better service to boot.

I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw the cheapest you could now get on MT.

Wimanx's cheapest fibre offering is £40 a month all in, which I think is the cheapest you can manage without a landline. But double the speed of ADSL.

Unfortunately, ADSL requires you to have the phone line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I was going to suggest the lowest tier fibre plan as that requires no line rental, and would give you a better service to boot.

I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw the cheapest you could now get on MT.

Wimanx's cheapest fibre offering is £40 a month all in, which I think is the cheapest you can manage without a landline. But double the speed of ADSL.

Unfortunately, ADSL requires you to have the phone line.

Thanks. I just looked, and if I change over to the least expensive MT fibre plan, (basic) it will save me a whopping 43 pence per month. Not worth the hassle (probably). I've never had a problem with ADSL, it does what I need it to do.

I've never heard of Wimanx, I'll have to look them up. Are they reliable? I just worry about the "better the devil you know" factor. 

3 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Thanks. I just looked, and if I change over to the least expensive MT fibre plan, (basic) it will save me a whopping 43 pence per month. Not worth the hassle (probably). I've never had a problem with ADSL, it does what I need it to do.

I've never heard of Wimanx, I'll have to look them up. Are they reliable? I just worry about the "better the devil you know" factor. 

Wimanx have been knocking around for donkeys years. I certainly wouldn't be concerned in moving to them.

Their customer support has generally been the best out of MT/Wimanx/Sure in my experience.

MT still supply all the infrastructure, it's just wholesale from them to Wimanx.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

I can’t get fibre because Manx Telecom didn’t install the phone line to my house correctly when it was built. So to get fibre I need to pay someone to dig up my garden to put a new cable in. Why Manx Telecom shouldn’t pay for this, who knows.

Do you fancy explaining that one again?