MT Huge rises in tarrifs

Max Power

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

I can’t get fibre because Manx Telecom didn’t install the phone line to my house correctly when it was built. So to get fibre I need to pay someone to dig up my garden to put a new cable in. Why Manx Telecom shouldn’t pay for this, who knows.

Still, our broadband is only 300% more expensive than in the UK.

However Basalt Infrastructure Partners LLP are doing well. Of course their profits don’t drive inflation, it’s just my wages that do.

Have you taken the issue/problem of the original installation with CURA?

As a percentage, that is about the lowest year on year increase when compared to the main UK telcos.

I hope the facts below don’t upset the local conspiracy theorists or those who believe MT are taking the piss too much

https://www.virginmedia.com/mobile/annual-rpi-price-increase

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/millions-of-mobile-phone-and-internet-users-could-be-paying-17-3-more-on-their-bills-this-time-next-week-12839978

https://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,Case=obj(33510)

Which providers are raising broadband prices in 2023?

The simple answer is most of them. Due to the high rate of inflation and inflation-linked pricing policy, you can expect almost all major providers to hike broadband bills in 2023. There are a few outliers, but below we have summarised the rises that the major broadband providers are planning.

Broadband provider 2023 price increase Can you cancel for free if the price goes up?
BT 14.4% No
Virgin Media 13.8% Yes within 30 days
Sky 8.1% Yes within 30 days
TalkTalk 14.2% No
NOW Broadband TBC Yes within 30 days
EE Broadband 14.4% No
Vodafone 14.4% No
Plusnet 14.4% No
Shell Energy Broadband 13.5% No*
Community Fibre 13.4% No
Edited by Ativa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

I was going to suggest the lowest tier fibre plan as that requires no line rental, and would give you a better service to boot.

I nearly fell out of my seat when I saw the cheapest you could now get on MT.

It's because you've got to have the fancy super duper wifi booster as part of their deal, but you get 'guaranteed' next day support apparently too, and they'll come and set it all up in your house and make sure every room is ok.

Personally, I'd never need the wifi booster as I know what I'm doing with this sort of stuff, so it'd be a waste of money for me getting it through them.

51 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

Why does wire cost but fibre does not when people only want internet?

Fibre does cost - and if you want make calls on a telephone using it, that costs extra.

The cost of fibre is rolled into one.  Fibre rental and service.

ADSL was billed as two separate parts, the line rental (coz people used that to make calls as well as get the internet and then the internet service itself. 

Have a lie down with some warm milk and let your carer explain it with some playdoh and plastic bricks if you need further explanations.

1 minute ago, x-in-man said:

Fibre does cost - and if you want make calls on a telephone using it, that costs extra.

The increased charges only apply to copper. Even where people do not want to a telephone.

And it will most likely only be the elderly who still bother with an old fashioned (but now VOIP) telephone after switch to fibre. Younger people and the savvy will likely long ago have have sorted out their own VOIP option rather than paying (- and then quickly given up bothering using it). 

30 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Stretching my Internet searching capabilities to the limit, I find:

UK Vodaphone 500 Mbs 24 month contract £35 per month

Manx Telecom 455 Mbs £100.31 per month

But you're not comparing like for like, the MT bill is in magic Manx multiplying pounds!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

Do you fancy explaining that one again?  

Yes. MT didn’t put ducting in when they originally installed the phone line, and so they now expect me to put ducting in at my expense. This involves digging up the garden. Quite why I should have to pay to fix their shoddy workmanship is beyond me.

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

As a percentage, that is about the lowest year on year increase when compared to the main UK telcos.

I hope the facts below don’t upset the local conspiracy theorists or those who believe MT are taking the piss too much

Easy to have a slightly lower percentage when you’re starting out at a price 200% higher than that being charged by suppliers in the UK.

But no, Basalt Infrastructure Partners LLP are definitely absolutely definitely not taking the fucking piss.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Yes. MT didn’t put ducting in when they originally installed the phone line, and so they now expect me to put ducting in at my expense. This involves digging up the garden. Quite why I should have to pay to fix their shoddy workmanship is beyond me.

Easy to have a slightly lower percentage when you’re starting out at a price 200% higher than that being charged by suppliers in the UK.

But no, Basalt Infrastructure Partners LLP are definitely absolutely definitely not taking the fucking piss.

It is not telecoms responsibility to install ducting for a phone line.

Never has been and never will be.

Knocking them for that is just silly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

LLPs generally seem to do quite well out of the Isle of Man.....

• Thanks 1