MT Huge rises in tarrifs

Max Power

9 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

Some knobheads in power on the rock wanted to be independent.

We can kick off with Charlie Kerruish (although his aspirations would certainly have been coloured by his own perceived gains). Then Allan Bell picked it up and ran with it.

It was all fuelled by how well the Island was "doing" awash with money, some wanted us up on the top table with the big boys of the planet. In the top eight wealthiest nations on the globe, then on the cusp of putting a man into space as well. Just the thing to put gloss on political aspirations and careers.

All complete bollocks because they'd forgotten who and what they really were and most importantly - how and where that tide of money was coming from...

Now we are dealing with the fallout as an aftermath.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, genericUserName said:

It long pre dates Allan Bell even being an MHK.

Hence the reference to King Charlie, he was the major proponent of this "greatness" from the 60s on but he also had his followers and acolytes who carried the torch into the eighties. Then we suddenly got rich (relatively speaking) and the ideal could be financed and progressed.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Just going back to the soup debate...You think...? (£3.99 for a four pack btw)

20230330_184252.jpg

baxters is/was 4 for 5 quid in shoprite peel the other day but it didnt look mix and max so you had to get 4 the same flavour.

13 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

What a load of politically motivated balderdash. An exercise in believing anything, quite frankly. Public sector pay inflation drives general inflation directly because the private sector pays for everything. If you increase the government workforce or the amount you pay them, then everyone else has to shell out more to support it. Companies, other private sector organisations and their workers have to pay additional taxes because the public sector is financially unproductive and a drag on the economy. Of course, the government can borrow, or (as in the case of IOM) call on reserves, but they are only putting off the pain and incurring additional costs in doing so. The end result is the same. More inflation.

You can argue the value of public services, and some are much more valuable than others, but that isn't what is being asserted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Its not hard, and from experience over here if you ask the telecom provider nicely they will supply you with the duct too.

Then all you need to do is bury it in a small trench, no more than digging in potatoes, and run it from your property  boundary to your house where you wish it to enter.

To be honest I would  have trouble doing that.

I’m not a practical person. And have to pay people to do the simplest of domestic tasks. Otherwise I do it myself, cock it up completely and have to pay someone to remedy it and do what was required in the first place.

However I can do accounting, administrative stuff. Horses for courses and all that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

+1. It's also my perception from my supermarket forays that some of the biggest rises have been in the lower cost, budget commodities. The above example of Heinz being bang on. £1.70 now for a can of soup, almost doubled in less than 18 months, other Heinz tinned stuff too very similar. Other previously low priced staples from other suppliers too.

It's almost as though there's an agenda to hike the cost of the basic commodities bought by the lower classes....

I don't know why anyone buys branded stuff nowadays. I've done inconclusive blind tasting tests on family with Heinz Beans @ £4.99 for 6 vs Tesco Beans @ @ £1.70 for 4 (a pound for 4 early last year, incidentally), and Kellogg's Cornflakes 500g @ £2.50 vs Tesco Cornflakes 500g @ 63p. Perfectly good product substitute at a fraction on the cost.

You can understand why the cheapest products have gone up the most percentagewise. These items are on very thin margins and some of them are even loss leaders. Tesco bread for example @ 59p last year, now 90p. When the cost of producing something you are selling at a loss goes through the roof, there is no option but to pass on the increases in full. The more imponderable matter is where will these things find their level after commodity costs reduce. There will be scope for price reductions, but how much will feed through to the retail customer.

16 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

To be honest I would  have trouble doing that.

I’m not a practical person. And have to pay people to do the simplest of domestic tasks. Otherwise I do it myself, cock it up completely and have to pay someone to remedy it and do what was required in the first place.

However I can do accounting, administrative stuff. Horses for courses and all that.

You'd be no good after the apocalypse then.

28 minutes ago, WTF said:

baxters is/was 4 for 5 quid in shoprite peel the other day but it didnt look mix and max so you had to get 4 the same flavour.

Yes it’s always a bit of a quandary that. When you get similar items next to each other with a discounted price for “ bulk” buying

I have  been caught out like that before. Shoprite have been running a promotion for sometime in respect of Wolf Blass wines.

They offer  both Wolf Blass Cabernet Sauvignon and Wolf Blass Malbec for 3 for £21.00 as opposed to £8.00 per bottle.

Both have very similar yellow labels and are placed next to each other on the shelves.

I have bought three bottles and upon returning home discovered the discount hadn’t been applied, as I inadvertently bought two bottles of Cabernet and one of Malbec. Thus I have been diddled out of the £3 discount.

I drank all three anyway ( not in the same sitting though)

8 hours ago, woolley said:

You'd be no good after the apocalypse then.

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

No I’d have to come round to yours

I'll bring the batteries and the fairy lights. Make it all twinkly while we're waiting.

If you are on copper broadband and this impacts you then you are a bit stuck if you can’t get fibre.  If you can, then most people will just upgrade to fibre.

If your mobile contract is going up then it must be an old contract and you can just switch to one of the new ones that is currently for sale, and will end up getting better value.

Either way, the increases are industry wide at this time of year and telecoms are among the lowest I can find and applied to less products than most in the UK.

I recall don’t see that people have much to moan about here but it is nice to see people still trying.