Eden Centre-The Isle of Man-the next 30 years?

Moghrey Mie

This man is deluded, he has no idea of the numptys that run this island. That said just because he got lucky with one project which I am led to not be self sustaining but requires a huge amount of public money to keep running.

As for Alfie boy showing off to the mayor of Liverpool, the guy was thinking this is the gullible twit who bought that piece of shit land and then paid 50 million   for a shed. And is still swallowing the crap they tell him for more money, what a dumb ass

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 5

Eden Project is brilliant.  I'm quite looking forward to going to the Morecambe one eventually. 

One of the benefits of our Island Biosphere status is that it really had nothing to do with the Govt (apart from maybe some lobbying or marketing).  Specifically it didn't need anything to be built, in fact the opposite, not building things (which we appear to be quite good at) has been beneficial. 

If Govt sat and did nothing, then it would still be there. 

2 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/port-erin-commissioners-host-design-your-dream-space-competition/

I'd rather see Port Erin Commissioners come up with some ideas for the town rather than leaving it to the children.

Well you've got to give them respect for admitting it.  To begin with, we all thought that Douglas Prom had been designed by actual professionals. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Eden Project is brilliant.  I'm quite looking forward to going to the Morecambe one eventually. 

One of the benefits of our Island Biosphere status is that it really had nothing to do with the Govt (apart from maybe some lobbying or marketing).  Specifically it didn't need anything to be built, in fact the opposite, not building things (which we appear to be quite good at) has been beneficial. 

If Govt sat and did nothing, then it would still be there. 

Actually Alf Cannan MHK chairs the meetings of Biosphere Stakeholders Group and Howard Quayle did before him.

There is quite a lot of input from IOM government especially DEFA.

Without the government there would be no co-ordination or funding.

• Like 2

I like his points, his ideas. I'm struggling to see what's being proposed here though. I'm totally on board with energy security, a little hesitant about food security given the costs involved with small-scale farming against the massive industrialised farms elsewhere. I can't see how both those things would make the IOM the "new Singapore" though - I can't see the USP of biodiversity, how that would attract new investment, new tourism yet. I'd really like to understand more of what's being proposed, it sounds interesting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Bastard said:

I like his points, his ideas. I'm struggling to see what's being proposed here though. I'm totally on board with energy security, a little hesitant about food security given the costs involved with small-scale farming against the massive industrialised farms elsewhere. I can't see how both those things would make the IOM the "new Singapore" though - I can't see the USP of biodiversity, how that would attract new investment, new tourism yet. I'd really like to understand more of what's being proposed, it sounds interesting.

We get lots of these people who drop in and say, 'The Isle of Man is the ideal place for...............' But it never seems to happen.

Friends of the Earth were saying it years ago about renewable energy but we have wasted the past 20 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

I can't see the USP of biodiversity, how that would attract new investment, new tourism yet. I'd really like to understand more of what's being proposed, it sounds interesting.

12 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Without the government there would be no co-ordination or funding.

My point was that it's still a Biosphere and naturally interesting/diverse area with or without Govt involvement.  They didn't create the Biosphere, that was nature.  They just spun it so they could stick a badge on it. 

Nobody visits a place because its Biosphere status. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thats not what they would like you to believe, its going to save the island with 500,000 queing to get on planes and boat to visit the original garden of eden. But they forgot they chopped down the apple tree and killed the unicorns, I know that is fantasy but not as bad as there pipe dream beliefs

Co,ordination you are having a giraffe  

Edited by Dirty Buggane

I think I first suggested a smaller scale Eden Project for the IOM about a decade or more ago.

Built on the Summerland site, it would be a suitable memorial to those lost in the tragedy, but also a fantastic year-round visitor attraction for locals and visitors alike. It would be educational too, and perhaps home to some species not found in the other sites.

It would look hugely impressive from the Bay, and the horse trams would actually have a point. 

Tell me why this is a bad idea, notwithstanding the money for something like this was spent in Liverpool?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I think I first suggested a smaller scale Eden Project for the IOM about a decade or more ago.

Built on the Summerland site, it would be a suitable memorial to those lost in the tragedy, but also a fantastic year-round visitor attraction for locals and visitors alike. It would be educational too, and perhaps home to some species not found in the other sites.

It would look hugely impressive from the Bay, and the horse trams would actually have a point. 

Tell me why this is a bad idea, notwithstanding the money for something like this was spent in Liverpool?

A glasshouse under an unstable cliff, keep these genius ideas coming...

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1