Positive business news

Ativa

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

OK, settled down now but again and again there is a propensity for people to play the '' , I know something you  don't''. It's so only for their own egos sake, Jack is particularly good at this, as I say, the rental will have been agreed by now, the closure of the previous business will be on the cards, they will know that, for Jack to play his cards close to his chest does not do any of these about to close businesses any good.

He does not have the right to affect the these businesses to promote his own ego?

Plain enough?

It’s not Jack’s business. He’s invested and he’s advised. It’s up to the business owners to choose when to launch and publicise, in their own time. To ask an investor to do it ahead of that time is not on.  All he did was tell us the good news that a new business was on its way. I’m looking forward to the exciting news being fully revealed at the right time  

You must have been a bloody nightmare at Christmas! 

• Haha 1

Just to pinball away, Chester Street doesnt exist as a throughfare any longer, it exists just in the car park moniker. Wellington Square as was is now Market Street through to Church road Marina, ---I will fetch my coat 😒

11 hours ago, Kopek said:

Chester St? Could you not be more specific? The rent deal has obviously been done, why the need for secrecy?

I'm going to start the rumour that Curpheys are closing down, right or wrong that is down to you Jack!

Could have course be Hendersons and a stupid name or the charity shop, or M & Co or Devereaux, or the new delelop on the corner of Frederick st, or the Kebab places on both sides of Chester St or LLoyds, or the little cafe on the east side or Oasis on the corner???

So which is it Jack? Do all these other businesses suffer an ''are they closing or not'' so that you can play the ''insider king'' to rumours?/?

Where is the new venture??? End the rumours now Jack.

Where have you got Chester Street from?

13 hours ago, Kopek said:

Ah, eff of you with your pretend to be Italian name and you can take your pretend to be an SUV with you!!!

😉

Have a story about the pretend to be Italian name.

Many years ago I was signing up for a VW golf forum, and looking for a username.

I looked around my surroundings and there it was, like a moment of inspiration.

No meaning. No relevance to anything, but it has stuck.

23837D6F-D046-43AF-A962-1311E13A48E6.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Where have you got Chester Street from?

Have a story about the pretend to be Italian name.

Many years ago I was signing up for a VW golf forum, and looking for a username.

I looked around my surroundings and there it was, like a moment of inspiration.

No meaning. No relevance to anything, but it has stuck.

23837D6F-D046-43AF-A962-1311E13A48E6.jpeg

So it's your pretend to be Japanese name  along with Kopek's pretend to be Polish name. 

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So it's your pretend to be Japanese name  along with Kopek's pretend to be Polish name. 

Possibly.

I should have at least gone with something I like and which would have had a meaning to me.

17 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Possibly.

I should have at least gone with something I like and which would have had a meaning to me.

Yes, I was looking at the numbers to see if they made a word when turned upside down, like  BOOBS or SHELLOIL. 

15 hours ago, Kopek said:

Chester St? Could you not be more specific? The rent deal has obviously been done, why the need for secrecy?

I'm going to start the rumour that Curpheys are closing down, right or wrong that is down to you Jack!

Could have course be Hendersons and a stupid name or the charity shop, or M & Co or Devereaux, or the new delelop on the corner of Frederick st, or the Kebab places on both sides of Chester St or LLoyds, or the little cafe on the east side or Oasis on the corner???

So which is it Jack? Do all these other businesses suffer an ''are they closing or not'' so that you can play the ''insider king'' to rumours?/?

Where is the new venture??? End the rumours now Jack.

A lot of guesses in there, all of them wrong!

It's actually on Castle Street, opposite O'Donnells. Currently empty, so I'm surprised you missed that. 🤣

In amongst all that conjecture, you may have touched on something. Since you're so anxious, I will leave you to work out which. 

As for being vague, they still have to finalise the alcohol license. They've been in court and have an agreement in principal. It's subject to a few things, so they are being careful not to put anything definitive out there in case they do anything to prejudice that agreement. 

I post things I know to be true through, surprisingly, having most of my contacts in the hospitality industry on the Isle of Man. It's nothing to do with ego. I'm volunteering information, generally to further a subject. You'll see I rarely start them.

Happy to share what I can. If you have an issue with it, then it can be ignored, of course.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kopek said:

He does not have the right to affect the these businesses to promote his own ego?

Plain enough?

A cigar and whisky bar in Castle Street. It will be lucky to last 6 months so probably needs all the publicity it can get. Come a smoke a fine cigar in a Castle Street back yard. No thanks. 

Edited by offshoremanxman

20 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

A cigar and whisky bar in Castle Street. It will be lucky to last 6 months so probably needs all the publicity it can get. Come a smoke a fine cigar in a Castle Street back yard. No thanks. 

Aye ok. 

Believe me they have plenty interested already and a following.

You not going will be even more beneficial for their business, as it means others won't be put off by your miserable nature.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Aye ok. 

Believe me they have plenty interested already and a following.

You not going will be even more beneficial for their business, as it means others won't be put off by your miserable nature.

Let’s see if it lasts past 6 months then. My money would be on it not. I’ve done a few cigar bars around the world. A back yard in Castle Street wouldn’t be my automatic choice to blow £50 on a cigar. 

3 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Let’s see if it lasts past 6 months then. My money would be on it not. I’ve done a few cigar bars around the world. A back yard in Castle Street wouldn’t be my automatic choice to blow £50 on a cigar. 

You've either not read or understood the whole thing.

The cigars is actually an incidental part of the business. It's something they both have a passion for and have been asked to stock. They have a nice space out the back that will be smart when ready. So they can have people sitting out there. Although cigars have gone up in price, there are plenty below £50. There are some exceptional ones at the moment around the £20 range. 

There is a reasonable sized market for craft beer. The Bottle Monkey place has now closed down in Douglas to concentrate their efforts on Castletown (assuming they are granted their license back). They have been selling craft beer for 6 years now on the Isle of Man and making a living from it. It's craft beer in Castletown too. 

On the Isle of Man there are a surprising number of whisk(e)y enthusiasts. I'm part of a couple of little groups that have nights on it and all of these people are enthused by it. They already have a decent stock of it in and it's different from anything you'll find anywhere else on the Isle of Man. Anywhere from a modest price up to the expensive stuff if you prefer.

Rum is another emerging category and there a few hardcore drinkers of it. Again they've gone with the same model for that. Really good quality, not available anywhere else of the Isle of Man. 

Cider is being sourced from top UK craft cider makers. 

A local based cocktail menu working with producers of alcohols and ingredients here on the Isle of Man.

There's a lot there for people to choose from and it's a very small, welcoming space. 

I get I may not be your favourite poster but honestly think this is a great little place (otherwise I wouldn't have put money in).

Henderson & Glass is a couple of doors down. They almost 100% do cocktails. They do well. These guys have many more stings to their bow. They have qualifications in beer, spirits and cigars amongst them, so are better placed than most to advise on the products you are buying and likewise, know what they're buying.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Henderson & Glass is a couple of doors down. They almost 100% do cocktails. They do well. These guys have many more stings to their bow. They have qualifications in beer, spirits and cigars amongst them, so are better placed than most to advise on the products you are buying and likewise, know what they're buying.

I go in Henderson and Glass quite a bit. It never seems busy to me at all to be honest.