Okells

kevster

Less people and/or less spend in the pubs again then. Not the brewery's fault (for once), they are as impacted as the rest.

Profiteering on energy and essentials is pushing this.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kevster said:

Big price rises coming soon. And I mean BIG 

It will just put the pubs further on the line to closure. Their operating costs must be fairly horrendous now though the way wages and utility costs have gone up. If only any of their pubs had any form of nice experience you’d be prepared to pay a premium for but they don’t. Generally the food is awful and ambiance fairly terrible and there’s much better places you can go to in order to spend your money. But it’s happening across the board a bacon bap is even the best part of £4 now by the time a basic shop or cafe has paid for its heating, gas, supplies and wages. It’s totally unsustainable i think we have a big recession coming. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It will just put the pubs further on the line to closure. Their operating costs must be fairly horrendous now though the way wages and utility costs have gone up. If only any of their pubs had any form of nice experience you’d be prepared to pay a premium for but they don’t. Generally the food is awful and ambiance fairly terrible and there’s much better places you can go to in order to spend your money. But it’s happening across the board a bacon bap is even the best part of £4 now by the time a basic shop or cafe has paid for its heating, gas, supplies and wages. It’s totally unsustainable i think we have a big recession coming. 

You are right, but don’t say recession as the IOMG cheerleaders will be on to lecture, hector and demonise you. 

• Like 1

Okells has no intrest in the pub trade, it is a nuisance it is handy to say to government look at the people we employ. Mainly casual labour, Managers (dogsbody's just above minimal wage with a name badge) which are mainly kids no interest in how the pub is doing get paid the same whether full or empty. More interest in the spar outlets and haulage firm, still trying to shit on anyone who buys an expub with illegal caveats about use. All went down hill when tenancies stopped. Just keep increasing prices till they brake the camels back fold company

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Okells has no intrest in the pub trade, it is a nuisance it is handy to say to government look at the people we employ. Mainly casual labour, Managers (dogsbody's just above minimal wage with a name badge) which are mainly kids no interest in how the pub is doing get paid the same whether full or empty. More interest in the spar outlets and haulage firm, still trying to shit on anyone who buys an expub with illegal caveats about use. All went down hill when tenancies stopped. Just keep increasing prices till they brake the camels back fold company

You forget that they are creating more flats above their pubs, whilst are helping to ‘ease’ the islands housing shortage, particularly for new staff, but I can’t imagine the rental price being truly affordable, coupled with a sizeable deposit, and the cost of electricity and gas. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Perhaps some will be expecting IOMG to give the brewery a nice handout? 

Chamber of commerce have already been asking for handouts as have several in hospitality trade, problem is everyone wants subsidies for everything but no one gives details of how it should be funded!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

You forget that they are creating more flats above their pubs, whilst are helping to ‘ease’ the islands housing shortage, particularly for new staff, but I can’t imagine the rental price being truly affordable, coupled with a sizeable deposit, and the cost of electricity and gas. 

A book I read a good while ago I’ve just re-visited

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/8567383-when-money-dies

Which covers the hyper inflation in the Weimar Republic amongst other issues and which points out that when money is worthless you don’t have an economy. SME businesses have to be able to sell stuff in order to survive. So you put up your pint up to £5 or your bacon bap to £4 and you lose sales as you do as less and less people have the cash to spare to buy them. So eventually you’ve not no business as it’s cheaper to close and get a job somewhere else or to just stop losing money providing a product less people are buying. Or maybe you’re in a job earning £30K a year but your mortgage or rent, electric, gas, rates, food bill, petrol, insurances etc take up 90% of your £30K salary. You might as well be on benefits in a corpy house where everything is taken care of for you. Since covid over 50% of UK taxpayers are taking out by way of state support more than they are paying in tax. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

When did you last eat in one?  I honestly think most have really upped the standard of their food lately.

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

In the Bridge this afternoon. It was undeniably average. 

I don’t believe you, but anyway.

Not sure what more you expect for the price to be honest?

Its good in there, and a completely different menu to anywhere else when people always accuse them of all being the same.