Okells

kevster

16 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Black pudding? 

Good to hear no tomatoes. 

You got it wrong. It's tomatoes but no beans.

I had my first full 'English' in years on Saturday at a mate's coronation get together. I have to say it was bloody marvellous because there were no beans) but I lost the entire day after due to carb overload.

16 hours ago, Barlow said:

I had a super breakfast in Wetherspoons yesterday: 3 hash brown, 2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 bacon, beans, 1 large mushroom, 2 slices toast and as much refill cappuccino as I wanted.

Price £7.79

I had something similar this week in Rileys. 

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

You got it wrong. It's tomatoes but no beans.

I had my first full 'English' in years on Saturday at a mate's coronation get together. I have to say it was bloody marvellous because there were no beans) but I lost the entire day after due to carb overload.

If it's a full 'English' I'd say there shouldn't be any tomatoes in any form.  They're not particularly Anglo-Saxon.  Everything else is realistically native to these fair Isles. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

If it's a full 'English' I'd say there shouldn't be any tomatoes in any form.  They're not particularly Anglo-Saxon.  Everything else is realistically native to these fair Isles. 

Oh, shut up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Oh, shut up.

Anything potato based would be up for discussion too. 

To be honest, the Fry-Up does seem much maligned when discussing British dishes. 

People always go on about Roasts, Shepard's/Cottage Pie, Wellington, Fish & Chips, (dare I say) Chicken Tikka. 

However a good old protein rich fried breakfast is ignored.  I'd back it for a National Dish. 

Hash browns.

No breakfast is complete without hash browns, a 'potato favourite' especially on the Isle of Man apparently:

Disgruntled customer threw cutlery holder at McDonald's staff member when he discovered he hadn't been given a hash brown

Edited by Barlow
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Barlow said:

I had a super breakfast in Wetherspoons yesterday: 3 hash brown, 2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 bacon, beans, 1 large mushroom, 2 slices toast and as much refill cappuccino as I wanted.

Price £7.79

The place was nicely busy with the likes of shoppers.  Wonderful.

The latest beer looks good too, and look at that price for a pint.

Just thought I'd tell you that.

IMG20230508104725.thumb.jpg.b1bdba95ba1dccb4e547d22747699fe7.jpg

Simply reading about unlimited Wetherspoon's "cappuccino" had be running to the loo...

Just now, Barlow said:

These reviews aren't good:

Oh yeah. I thought I'd quite enjoyed it but I can see now that I was wrong and it was actually rather disappointing. I'm not going there again. What we need on the island is a Wetherspoons etc...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Hash browns.

No breakfast is complete without hash browns, a 'potato favourite' especially on the Isle of Man apparently:

Disgruntled customer threw cutlery holder at McDonald's staff member when he discovered he hadn't been given a hash brown

Don't get me wrong, I love a good hash brown (or rosti, or potato cake) but is it English?

Around Stoke you can get a fry-up (with cheese) wrapped up in an oatcake, which is kind of like a pancake or tortilla.  They're amazing, makes we want to find an excuse to visit the Midlands again. 

Angry Manx Maccies man is quite funny though! "Duncan said ’get me my ****ing hash brown’ before reaching in through the window and grabbing a cutlery holder which he then threw at the staff member with it hitting him in the head."

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

It has rather gone down a bit.

We stopped off the other morning as we were free and didn't have to do anything special.

One serving, long wait for food (40mins), slob of a bloke throwing plates on the tables and grunting 'enjoy' through gritted teeth.  It wasn't even busy.  A couple of builders, grannies with the grand kids and a couple who piled salt on everything.

We did think at one point that they were waiting to see if you buy another tea/coffee before they bring out the food - because what they give you at the till is invariable cold, or finished by the time a cooked breakfast comes out.

Used to be a pleasure, lovely staff and great hot produce - on a hot plate.

That's gone now.  I'll rather just stay at home and have a slice of toast and save my cash for somewhere that gives a shit.  They obviously don't.

27 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Hash browns.

£25 a week to pay it off too. He should be done by now hopefully.