Okells

kevster

13 minutes ago, P.K. said:

In broad terms how would you describe the 8:00 am clientele?

I have only ever once been in a pub at 8:00am and that was for a stag do. I worked in Scotland about 30 years ago. Some of the pubs opened at 8:00am and I was given a rundown of how the day generally played out. The résumé being as follows (I don't think my local 'spoons will be much different).

8:00am pub opens. Often a queue at the locked door. A mixture of desperate alcoholics and night shift workers in for a pint after their shift.

10:00am: not so desperate alcoholics but alcoholics all the same. They managed breakfast, a stroll and then 'a quick livener' down the pub where they would remain for an hour or two.

11:00am: organised alcoholics. They have 3 or 4 cans in the fridge for the morning. After drinking, feel refreshed enough to go down the pub.

12:00am: Daytime trade. Depending on the day of the week, but maybe some building workers. Perhaps office workers (drinking at lunchtime was not frowned upon back then).

2:00pm - 5:00pm: A mixture of all of the above to varying degrees, coming and going, until 7pm when the young people took over. Often all that would remain of the morning/daytime clientele was the odd shopping bag of Glasgow salad left behind under a table (square sausage, bacon, mince, lard etc)

It was a science. The barman had been there for years and knew his customers well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Well apart from Camra. Where spoons regularly wins many awards for its pubs and beers.

I'm sure the discount vouchers are nothing to do with it. 

I'd hardly call CAMRA industry. They are a campaign. If anything they've served their purpose. However the fact that their sole raison d'etre was allegedly to promote real ale (amongst others) yet they want discount vouchers to drive the cost of it down and get it as cheap as possible. It's why a lot of places won't do "real ale" (their definition) as there's little to no margin in it. 

Some of the CAMRA membership have moved onto modern times but the organisation itself has set out to achieve the original objectives and now no longer have a reason to exist.

The CAMRA 'awards' are not subjective either. They are voted on solely by the CAMRA committee. For example, Bottle Monkey, who only serve beers from kegs by way of gas pressurisation, are in their Good Beer Guide. So forgive me if I don't put much stock in those kind of 'awards'. 

Edited by jackwhite

Doom Bar used to be a cracking pint, but Molson Coors bought Sharps and moved production of a lot of Doom Bar to Burton on Trent. Story of a lot of beer, Newcastle Brown Ale is brewed by Heineken in Holland these days.

I stopped drinking it the second they stopped making it in Gateshead (after moving production from Newcastle).

4 hours ago, Barlow said:

I remember when I first learned that Guinness was brewed all over the world. My notion of container ships leaving Dublin full of the stuff was destroyed

These days it is nearly all brewed in Dublin, in reverse of pretty much all other beer. Although if you can get it on import the Nigerian Guinness is bloody good.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

I'm sure the discount vouchers are nothing to do with it. 

I'd hardly call CAMRA industry. They are a campaign. If anything they've served their purpose. However the fact that their sole raison d'etre was allegedly to promote real ale (amongst others) yet they want discount vouchers to drive the cost of it down and get it as cheap as possible. It's why a lot of places won't do "real ale" (their definition) as there's little to no margin in it. 

Some of the CAMRA membership have moved onto modern times but the organisation itself has set out to achieve the original objectives and now no longer have a reason to exist.

The CAMRA 'awards' are not subjective either. They are voted on solely by the CAMRA committee. For example, Bottle Monkey, who only serve beers from kegs by way of gas pressurisation, are in their Good Beer Guide. So forgive me if I don't put much stock in those kind of 'awards'. 

Much stock...or no stock? 

33 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Well given they are based on the whims of the local CAMRA board, zero. 

TBH I see your point. I wouldn't go into a spoons expecting the finest cask ales, perfectly kept and presented. However I still think they are good value and you wont often get a bad pint. Same with the food I guess. It's ok for fodder if you are hungry and, IMO, pretty good for beer, and excellent for wine and spirits.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I find with most eating establishments you can go once and it is really good the next time disappointing, whether it is different cooking staff or other reasons but finding somewhere that is consistently good is rare.   

It’s even more rare to find a brewery pub consistently doing food!  They closed their kitchens more often than they are open. 

7 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

It’s even more rare to find a brewery pub consistently doing food!  They closed their kitchens more often than they are open. 

What?  Like where?

They all do food regularly as far as I can see?

The Crosby had a few issues for a while but other than that I have no idea what you are on about

39 minutes ago, Ativa said:

What?  Like where?

The Crosby had a few issues for a while but other than that I have no idea what you are on about

Crosby, Raven, Highwayman more recently and gave up in the end on termy and queens towards end last year 

2 hours ago, Ativa said:

What?  Like where?

You must work for H+B then

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ativa said:

What?  Like where?

mitre in kirk michael  , the landlord seems to be the only staff member left.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WTF said:

mitre in kirk michael  , the landlord seems to be the only staff member left.

Another one that could be a great busy pub, unfortunately it’s run by H&B . I’m amazed they not put them all out for tenancy. They would make more with wholesale margin though trade distribution and then income from leasing them out. People might actually visit some of the ones like the mitre if not Brewery operated 

• Like 1