Okells

kevster

9 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

You must work for H+B then

Nope.  I have never worked in the hospitality trade in my life.  I just tend to look at things objectively rather than jump on a bandwagon.

I have never worked for the Steam Packet either, but cringe every time someone who clearly has no idea how a business works calls them the Steam Racket.

1 hour ago, WTF said:

mitre in kirk michael  , the landlord seems to be the only staff member left.

I didn’t even know they were supposed to serve food so wasn’t including them.  It was a dump when we were in there recently.  

Guy at the bar was watching TV so had it turned up and the place was filthy dirty.  I am surprised they haven’t been shut down or had decent standards imposed on them by H&B

If it's the same guy, he was transferred there from the Raven a couple or more years back after turning both pub and landlord accommodation there into a health hazard?

33 minutes ago, Ativa said:

I didn’t even know they were supposed to serve food so wasn’t including them.  It was a dump when we were in there recently.  

Guy at the bar was watching TV so had it turned up and the place was filthy dirty.  I am surprised they haven’t been shut down or had decent standards imposed on them by H&B

sadly it was a dump if you were in there 5 years ago too , the brewery have spent less than nothing on the place.  i have eaten there ONCE ,  there is a board advertising for full and part time staff out in the carpark.   the Raven on the other hand seems to be doing very well.

EDIT ,  ha ha , i didn't even know he had come from the Raven , no wonder its doing well now then.

Edited by WTF

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

I have never worked for the Steam Packet either, but cringe every time someone who clearly has no idea how a business works calls them the Steam Racket.

Do you remember Flymaybe, that was a good 'un. I never tired of hearing it. Oh, and 'Shopshite' is a bit of a sidesplitter too. The Manx sense of humour at its very best.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

Any idea when they going up then? I presume will have a knock on effect on free houses too as they supply most of their ale

It was going to be last week but they’ve held off for the holiday. Probably tomorrow 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Barlow said:

I have only ever once been in a pub at 8:00am and that was for a stag do. I worked in Scotland about 30 years ago. Some of the pubs opened at 8:00am and I was given a rundown of how the day generally played out. The résumé being as follows (I don't think my local 'spoons will be much different).

8:00am pub opens. Often a queue at the locked door. A mixture of desperate alcoholics and night shift workers in for a pint after their shift.

10:00am: not so desperate alcoholics but alcoholics all the same. They managed breakfast, a stroll and then 'a quick livener' down the pub where they would remain for an hour or two.

11:00am: organised alcoholics. They have 3 or 4 cans in the fridge for the morning. After drinking, feel refreshed enough to go down the pub.

12:00am: Daytime trade. Depending on the day of the week, but maybe some building workers. Perhaps office workers (drinking at lunchtime was not frowned upon back then).

2:00pm - 5:00pm: A mixture of all of the above to varying degrees, coming and going, until 7pm when the young people took over. Often all that would remain of the morning/daytime clientele was the odd shopping bag of Glasgow salad left behind under a table (square sausage, bacon, mince, lard etc)

It was a science. The barman had been there for years and knew his customers well.

That's one of the reasons the likes of Tim Martin disgust me.

His business model is to deliberately prey on the vulnerable.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, P.K. said:

That's one of the reasons the likes of Tim Martin disgust me.

His business model is to deliberately prey on the vulnerable.

The pub I indicated catered for everyone. At the extreme, on a weekend evening and night it was full of young folk with the girls dressed up to the nines. Like many 'spoons.

Wetherspoons business model definitely preys on me.

I want decent food and decent beer in a comfortable pub in pleasant surroundings and decent atmosphere. I am not particularly all that bothered about price but hey! when I expect to pay £4-£5 for a good pint and the bill says £2.46 I am not going to complain.

If you want to push the 'social experiment' further, I would point out that the vulnerable people you mention, have a decent pub they can drink in where they are not a nuisance and they can feel part of society.

I am not saying there is never trouble in a Wetherspoons pub, but I have never seen any. Amongst many other things, the layout seems to be a key factor and there must be a science behind it.

It works.

Edited by Barlow

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

The pub I indicated catered for everyone. At the extreme, on a weekend evening and night it was full of young folk with the girls dressed up to the nines. Like many 'spoons.

Wetherspoons business model definitely preys on me.

I want decent food and decent beer in a comfortable pub in pleasant surroundings and decent atmosphere. I am not particularly all that bothered about price but hey! when I expect to pay £4-£5 for a good pint and the bill says £2.46 I am not going to complain.

As I posted previously, each to their own. Happy for you!

Unfortunately I have principles so personally Tim Martin, in all his guises, disgusts me...

22 minutes ago, P.K. said:

As I posted previously, each to their own. Happy for you!

Unfortunately I have principles so personally Tim Martin, in all his guises, disgusts me...

Ok. Let's look at it differently. If Tim Martin dropped dead tomorrow and the business was sold on. If then, wether spoons sold half decent cask beer for £2.45 would you be up for a pint? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Ok. Let's look at it differently. If Tim Martin dropped dead tomorrow and the business was sold on. If then, wether spoons sold half decent cask beer for £2.45 would you be up for a pint? 

Now a snob I most definitely am not so depending on the pedigree of the new owner and the state of the clientele then quite possibly.

But if it’s foul language as the norm and drunken pensioners asking you to guess how old they are then definitely not!

35 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Now a snob I most definitely am not so depending on the pedigree of the new owner and the state of the clientele then quite possibly.

But if it’s foul language as the norm and drunken pensioners asking you to guess how old they are then definitely not!

Nobody has ever asked me to guess how old they are in a pub.

People swear in pubs, so I guess that would depend what you consider foul language.

Edited by Ativa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2