Okells

kevster

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Hopefully they will bring minimum alcohol pricing into Uk similar to Scotland to reduce alcohol related deaths & illnesses which will also help pubs a bit 

Yeah that has worked out well, hasn't actually done anything except hit responsible drinkers in the pocket. The winos who need their fix still get it 

6 minutes ago, thommo2010 said:

Yeah that has worked out well, hasn't actually done anything except hit responsible drinkers in the pocket. The winos who need their fix still get it 

Yes it has worked well as proven by analysis of data on reduced deaths etc!!

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/21/scotlands-minimum-pricing-linked-to-13-drop-in-alcohol-related-deaths-study-finds

On 4/9/2023 at 10:46 AM, jackwhite said:

Can't agree with you on either of those points.

There are better bitters out there than OKell's although it's decent and rates well in comparison to others. Not terrible but not the best either.

In terms of the Wetherspoons, still maintain it's people after a cheap pint. I wouldn't go out in a big city and drink either of these beers and even then, their beer is often past it's best or they have screwed the brewers over to such an extent they are making pennies on it. 

They may be in some historic buildings and have some decent staff but a number of those staff were screwed over royally by the ethics of the owner during Covid and I simply wouldn't put money in his pocket given that a number of other dubious things he's willing to peddle.

Wetherspoons beer " past its best" is the new "Since the Chinese takeaway opened,seagulls numbers are down" chat. Belhaven £1.71 per pint. When your gas bill has doubled,is a big help for ordinary folks.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, P.K. said:

It’s very subjective of course.

If it was of a level and volume that was  offensive to any ladies present then as far as I’m concerned that crosses a line. 

I'm still not sure why that is anything to do with wetherspoons. I assume you had a bad experience in the Spoons with swearing (or foul and abusive language to be more correct) not being stopped. It can happen anywhere. Its not particularly prevalent in Wetherspoons pubs AKAIK. Happened to us in the Terminus Tavern a couple of years ago. On a Saturday lunchtime. Loads of kids with families in. Even the barman joined in. I complained to the brewery and, TBF, got an apology

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

Wetherspoons beer " past its best" is the new "Since the Chinese takeaway opened,seagulls numbers are down" chat. Belhaven £1.71 per pint. When your gas bill has doubled,is a big help for ordinary folks.

😂 ok. 

I know it as a fact. I know their practices and people involved in them. But you go there and Tim said it’s not the case, so you know better. 

leave you to your delusion. 

28 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

😂 ok. 

I know it as a fact. I know their practices and people involved in them. But you go there and Tim said it’s not the case, so you know better. 

leave you to your delusion. 

They do not buy Beer that is near to its sell by date. Its a myth. I know this as a fact. Why would they anyway and even if they did why would it be a problem so long as it wasn't past the sell by date.  They get their main beers made specifically for them. In fact the opposite is probably true. They sell so much beer and turnover stock at a high rate, its probably the freshest you could possibly have

19 hours ago, P.K. said:

Now a snob I most definitely am not so depending on the pedigree of the new owner and the state of the clientele then quite possibly.

But if it’s foul language as the norm and drunken pensioners asking you to guess how old they are then definitely not!

Sounds like the clientele of the Albert in PSM.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They do not buy Beer that is near to its sell by date. Its a myth. I know this as a fact. Why would they anyway and even if they did why would it be a problem so long as it wasn't past the sell by date.  They get their main beers made specifically for them. In fact the opposite is probably true. They sell so much beer and turnover stock at a high rate, its probably the freshest you could possibly have

and why would it be a problem if they did?

I'm not a cellarman, but:

Isn't the 'drinking life' of an ale primarily about from when the cask is tapped, rather than from when the ale is brewed and how long it is then conditioned in the cask before tapping? Assuming so, it would seem to make good sense for a pub chain with a good distribution network and large-throughput drinking 'barns' to buy short dated beer, knowing it will be drunk quickly.

And (hobby horse), when did "fresh" become a beer word? This is marketing department bollocks. For hundreds of years, good beer has been matured, aged, conditioned or (ahem) lagered to develop character. 'Fresh' is a marketing label for cold, fizzy, branded pish.

Edited by Yibble
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Hopefully they will bring minimum alcohol pricing into Uk similar to Scotland to reduce alcohol related deaths & illnesses which will also help pubs a bit 

Hopefully they will not follow like sheep and allow people like myself who like a few drinks chose between home and pub at a reasonable price. I was a 3 night a week pub goer for 35 years until I realised that I could no longer afford the luxury of pub drinking and cut my cloth accordingly, I am happy that you being a banker are wealthy enough to enjoy going to the local pubs and paying over the odds for shite service and crap beer, me on the other hand will continue to make savings in areas such as home drinking anyway, must be 5 o'clock somewhere time for a carling or 2 cheers 🍻

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They do, a lot of pubs do. 

You say they don’t as fact, then almost contradict yourself in after thought. 

6 minutes ago, Yibble said:

and why would it be a problem if they did?

I'm not a cellarman, but:

Isn't the 'drinking life' of an ale primarily about from when the cask is tapped, rather than from when the ale is brewed and how long it is then conditioned in the cask before tapping? Assuming so, it would seem to make good sense for a pub chain with a good distribution network and large-throughput drinking 'barns' to buy short dated beer, knowing it will be drunk quickly.

And (hobby horse), when did "fresh" become a beer word? This is marketing department bollocks. For hundreds of years, good beer has been matured, aged, conditioned or (ahem) lagered to develop character. 'Fresh' is a marketing label for cold, fizzy, branded pish.

There is a certain period for all beers where it is optimum to drink them. 

Highly hopped craft beers for example is generally when it’s ready. However imperial stout is often best Up to a year down the line. 

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

They do, a lot of pubs do. 

You say they don’t as fact, then almost contradict yourself in after thought. 

There is a certain period for all beers where it is optimum to drink them. 

Highly hopped craft beers for example is generally when it’s ready. However imperial stout is often best Up to a year down the line. 

One either contradicts oneself or doesn't contradict oneself. "Almost" contradict. What does that mean?

I didn't contradict myself at all "Why would they anyway and even if they did......" Is not a contradiction. Not even almost. Its making an argument.

If you are in the trade. Answer this. Why would a manufacturer offer a discount for almost out of date produce to its largest customer by volume. Would they make a batch of Doom Bar, then sit it in the car park for a fortnight then distribute it to all the Wetherspoons You argument has no credibility.