Okells

kevster

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

One either contradicts oneself or doesn't contradict oneself. "Almost" contradict. What does that mean?

I didn't contradict myself at all "Why would they anyway and even if they did......" Is not a contradiction. Not even almost. Its making an argument.

If you are in the trade. Answer this. Why would a manufacturer offer a discount for almost out of date produce to its largest customer by volume. Would they make a batch of Doom Bar, then sit it in the car park for a fortnight then distribute it to all the Wetherspoons You argument has no credibility. 

Because they sometimes get barrels returned to them or stuff that for a variety of reasons hasn’t been sold. 

Every brewery has those sorts of situations. The argument has credibility you just have no idea what you’re talking about. 

I get offered short date stuff all the time. 

We’re not generally talking doom here but it does happen. 

2 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Because they sometimes get barrels returned to them or stuff that for a variety of reasons hasn’t been sold. 

Every brewery has those sorts of situations. The argument has credibility you just have no idea what you’re talking about. 

I get offered short date stuff all the time. 

We’re not generally talking doom here but it does happen. 

I don't disagree with any of these statements. Yes I am sure Wetherspoons get offered batches at bargain prices from time to time. The point I was making is that they are not cheap because they only sell beer that is almost out of date.

They buy and sell so much beer that their casks and barrells never touch the ground. It wouldn't make sense to double handle such large quantities. They come from the Brewery straight onto the wagon and straight round to the pubs (as most large distributors do as you probably know). They are cheap because 

• They have massive buying power and can negotiate good deals and
  • They sell a lot at low margin
  • They don't waste much
  • They research their locations

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I don't disagree with any of these statements. Yes I am sure Wetherspoons get offered batches at bargain prices from time to time. The point I was making is that they are not cheap because they only sell beer that is almost out of date.

They buy and sell so much beer that their casks and barrells never touch the ground. It wouldn't make sense to double handle such large quantities. They come from the Brewery straight onto the wagon and straight round to the pubs (as most large distributors do as you probably know). They are cheap because 

• They have massive buying power and can negotiate good deals and
  • They sell a lot at low margin
  • They don't waste much
  • They research their locations

The sooner Wetherspoons open a couple of outlets here the better. Let the market decide what other venues survive.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

The sooner Wetherspoons open a couple of outlets here the better. Let the market decide what other venues survive.

Don’t see it ever happening as not enough money in it for them. 

personally hope it doesn’t and I’d pack up and not put any more money in here if they did.

Even then one of the requirements of getting a licence is showing you’re different to anything else out there already. Other than price don’t see they do that. Licensing courts would take cheap alcohol on sale as a negative as they would fear it encouraging people to drink more on a night. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Since I am working from home today (that one is for @offshoremanxman 😂) I can confirm no sign of a price rise in my favourite H&B pub on my tipple of choice today.

I am prepared to take one for the team and visit a few more this evening and keep my ear to the ground.

I’m doing some ‘research’ as well. Seems it’s going up tomorrow and isn’t as bad as first thought. Pint of Okells bitter going up by 35p

• Like 1

Just now, kevster said:

I’m doing some ‘research’ as well. Seems it’s going up tomorrow and isn’t as bad as first thought. Pint of Okells bitter going up by 35p

I shall pretend I haven’t seen that, and continue my mission this evening anyway.  🍺

45 minutes ago, kevster said:

59 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Since I am working from home today (that one is for @offshoremanxman 😂) I can confirm no sign of a price rise in my favourite H&B pub on my tipple of choice today.

I am prepared to take one for the team and visit a few more this evening and keep my ear to the ground.

It was you two telling us it was going up a £1 and didnt you both have it on good authority?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Was the old Yates Wine Lodge an example of a Pub chain from across? I remember it having huge barrels of tawny port behind the bar, sure it sold beer too? Dont think it was Okells  or Castletown beer.                                  NB.. final thing to say about Wetherspoons... often when looking at the pumps of " Old Curmudgeon" Or" Fusty Ferret"  the staff offer a free ,nip glass size, tasting of any beer. So no worry about old stock.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ďouglas Peel said:

Was the old Yates Wine Lodge an example of a Pub chain from across? I remember it having huge barrels of tawny port behind the bar, sure it sold beer too? Dont think it was Okells  or Castletown beer.                                  NB.. final thing to say about Wetherspoons... often when looking at the pumps of " Old Curmudgeon" Or" Fusty Ferret"  the staff offer a free ,nip glass size, tasting of any beer. So no worry about old stock.

Yes Yates were all over NW England at one time might have been elsewhere as well, they did not sell local beer you are correct

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Yes Yates were all over NW England at one time might have been elsewhere as well, they did not sell local beer you are correct

No. But the one on Talbot Square Blackpool sold Champagne on Draught

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Yes I recall was in there quiet a lot when I went to Annual Brewers Dinner for the Brewers Guild in the late 70's and early 80's

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

That is just brilliant!

Wasn't Yates's born out of the temperance movement?  Will have to Google.

I only went in once and am sure there was a booth with a cashier to take your money.