Okells

kevster

Just now, Roxanne said:

Yes.  There was a notice on the wall with some motto about the perils of not being temperate.

I have a photo somewhere with me posing with the notice, three sheets to the wind (with a rolled up stolen rug balanced on my shoulder too I seem to remember) - but we don't talk about that.

You just did!

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Trust me - no one is posh after two pints of champagne.

The posh bit is to even think about drinking Champagne.  I was a lager and lime or Cherry B kind of a gal.  If we were really pushing the boat out, it would be brandy and Babycham!

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Don’t see it ever happening as not enough money in it for them. 

personally hope it doesn’t and I’d pack up and not put any more money in here if they did.

Even then one of the requirements of getting a licence is showing you’re different to anything else out there already. Other than price don’t see they do that. Licensing courts would take cheap alcohol on sale as a negative as they would fear it encouraging people to drink more on a night. 

I think you're being a bit nervy and panicky with all this talk of Wetherspoons. 

Re the beer in Wetherspoons, all I know is that I have never had a bad pint in Wetherspoons. I wish I could say the same for Okells, and indeed Bushy's

3 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

Are those any good? Are they worth the extra compared to cans and bottles? Are they much cheaper than pint at the local?

That rather depends what you wish to drink. Two or three years ago, Beerwulf used to supply a really good range of continental beers (mainly bottled) at reasonable prices. Now it sells various brands of Heineken-owned lager pish. I think they do still do a mixed case of Belgian bottled beers, but aside from that it's just Euro-brand lager. Each to their own I suppose.

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

That is just brilliant!

Wasn't Yates's born out of the temperance movement?  Will have to Google.

I only went in once and am sure there was a booth with a cashier to take your money. 

Temperance in Moderation 

• Thanks 1

I believe that the Yates family lived locally, Milntown I think.

One item sold over the bar in the Walpole Avenue Yates side bar was their own brand of tinned sardines, a regular would order a pint, a double white and lemonade and a tin of fish, he/she would have their own fork. 😋

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mollag said:

I believe that the Yates family lived locally, Milntown I think.

One item sold over the bar in the Walpole Avenue Yates side bar was their own brand of tinned sardines, a regular would order a pint, a double white and lemonade and a tin of fish, he/she would have their own fork. 😋

Two spinster sisters, granddaughters of one of the founders, lived in an apartment above the Walpole Avenue bar. Not sure about Milntown 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Two spinster sisters, granddaughters of one of the founders, lived in an apartment above the Walpole Avenue bar. Not sure about Milntown 

Yates did own Milntown, AFAIK Sir Clive bought it from them. Anyway, all this is online.