Okells

kevster

35 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Anything potato based would be up for discussion too.

No discussion over the coronation hash browns.  Home made. Crispy AF, red hot and not greasy.

And anyway, we invented the potato didn't we? 

(Not the English per se)

10 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

It has rather gone down a bit.

We stopped off the other morning as we were free and didn't have to do anything special.

One serving, long wait for food (40mins), slob of a bloke throwing plates on the tables and grunting 'enjoy' through gritted teeth.  It wasn't even busy.  A couple of builders, grannies with the grand kids and a couple who piled salt on everything.

We did think at one point that they were waiting to see if you buy another tea/coffee before they bring out the food - because what they give you at the till is invariable cold, or finished by the time a cooked breakfast comes out.

Used to be a pleasure, lovely staff and great hot produce - on a hot plate.

That's gone now.  I'll rather just stay at home and have a slice of toast and save my cash for somewhere that gives a shit.  They obviously don't.

I hope you told Riley's about this. They need to know.

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

No discussion over the coronation hash browns.  Home made. Crispy AF, red hot and not greasy.

And anyway, we invented the potato didn't we? 

(Not the English per se)

100% sold on those Hash Browns.  I won't throw a cutlery holder at you if I don't get one though. 

Potatoes (like tomatoes and a suprising amount of 'European' veggis) come from the Andes originally. 

Edited by The Phantom

19 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

100% sold on those Hash Browns. 

Prefer Co-Op for my English breakfast hash browns but have noticed recently that they have stopped doing their own brand and instead stock the ubiquitous McCains product.

Is nothing sacred?

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

In my drinking days I remember a pint going up to 17 shillings. There was all hell to pay.

It's got to the stage that a pint of good quality craft beer can be bought for less than these macro beers, which is mental but pleasing.

I'm obviously talking in the UK.....well for the moment anyway.

7 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Is it a Dutch thing too or did they pinch it from you?

My winters in the Netherlands seemed to consist of a lot of rosti type things 'met appel saus'. 

Doesn't that just translate as 'with apple sauce'.

There's also the German Kartoffelpuffer although the potato is grated rather than shredded, as in the rosti.

Don't recall anything particularly from the Netherlands so perhaps could be the German version with them being so close. 

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Ach yah for schure, I've heard about those Dutch slagrooms. 

The slagroom district sounds better.

Can't tell you disappointed my trainspotter mate was to find out the red light district wasn't a transport museum. Or so he tells me!

Edited by jackwhite
  • Haha 1