Okells

kevster

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

Lots of rumours over recent months of the brewery leasing a couple of sites to Jaks.  No idea how true they are, but The Royal in Ramsey has been mentioned after closing a week or so ago, as has The Highwayman in Peel.

They have obviously leased the Barbary Coast from them for years already.

seriously don't need another Jaks anywhere

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Thousands of people disagree.

Whats the problem? Especially since we have no idea what the concept might be?

All three they run very successfully at the moment are very well attended.

If you like crap ale and mediocre food then it's the place for you

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

If you like crap ale and mediocre food then it's the place for you

You have been to Frank Matchems then?

When did you last eat in Barbary Coast?

What was mediocre about the food in either?

I thought both were top notch for the price.  I haven’t eaten in Jaks for at least a year so can’t really pass comment.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

You have been to Frank Matchems then?

When did you last eat in Barbary Coast?

What was mediocre about the food in either?

I thought both were top notch for the price.  I haven’t eaten in Jaks for at least a year so can’t really pass comment.

Barbary Coast last Friday (granddaughters birthday) food was plenty but tasted bland. Quite how you can fuck up a Caesar salad is beyond me but they managed.

Stopped eating in Jaks when they consistently got the meals wrong

Yet to try Frank Matchems but willing to give it a try

does anyone know if there still brewing traditional beer on the island any more  you never get the aroma  when passing  their site at Ellenbrook  ,  we were in the Creek this week excellent food good friendly service and super value for money  wish all  the pubs were as good as that 

53 minutes ago, Omobono said:

does anyone know if there still brewing traditional beer on the island any more  you never get the aroma  when passing  their site at Ellenbrook  ,  we were in the Creek this week excellent food good friendly service and super value for money  wish all  the pubs were as good as that 

Already answered in thread. 

10 minutes ago, jackwhite said:

Already answered in thread. 

Not really as nobody knows which is unusual for the IoM, so some here and some in the UK I would assume. I pass the Brewery sight 4 times a day and never see the Boiler on which obviously emits smoke when it is, and never seen it on after TT

Didn't the government fund the brewing plant  when they moved to Ellenbrook   surly there is a condition that says the beer should be brewed on the island if they have had  taxpayer  support , ? makes a mockery of buying local 

another one for Jason Moorehouse to chase  when the naughty boys club starts again   

15 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Didn't the government fund the brewing plant  when they moved to Ellenbrook   surly there is a condition that says the beer should be brewed on the island if they have had  taxpayer  support , ? makes a mockery of buying local 

another one for Jason Moorehouse to chase  when the naughty boys club starts again   

Over the years the Govt have funded any amount of start up operations that have since disappeared off the Island without trace and little return. Given Brewery's unapproachable conduct in various other matters it's most unlikely that it would be pursued?

10 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

Not really as nobody knows which is unusual for the IoM, so some here and some in the UK I would assume. I pass the Brewery sight 4 times a day and never see the Boiler on which obviously emits smoke when it is, and never seen it on after TT

What ever they are doing up there is not affecting the quality of the beer. I had a pint of MPA in the British last night and I would say it was one of the finest, if not the finest, pint I can ever recall drinking.

I went off the MPA a few years ago because it developed a metallic taste. That's long gone. I reckon that, if not already happened, it will start to outsell the Bitter. Its a credit to them.

BTW - The British was nice and busy last night which is good to see. We don't go very often but were impressed. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Omobono said:

The brewery was built 30 years ago at kewaigue so I'm not sure government money has been wasted. @alpha-acid should be able to tell you more given he designed and overseen the build.