Okells

kevster

13 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s the price as you say. Had lunch in the Bridge the new Portuguese guy behind the bar seems to be a nice guy. But the food was decidedly average and over priced. Two large glasses of wine were over £20. Then went on to Mrs Yangs for tea. A good bottle of NZ SVB wine was £5 more than two glasses of decidedly average wine in the Bridge and the food was in line with a premium over the Bridge for a much better presented meal and much better service experience and surroundings. 

Do you ever eat in? It would be cheaper still. 😀

But yes if you find somewhere that you think is good value and has nice ambiance and all the rest it’s worth a lot.

18 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s the price as you say. Had lunch in the Bridge the new Portuguese guy behind the bar seems to be a nice guy. But the food was decidedly average and over priced. Two large glasses of wine were over £20. Then went on to Mrs Yangs for tea. A good bottle of NZ SVB wine was £5 more than two glasses of decidedly average wine in the Bridge and the food was in line with a premium over the Bridge for a much better presented meal and much better service experience and surroundings. 

Just shows it takes all sorts.

I am not a fan of Mrs Yangs at all.  Dark, average food and the service can be shocking.

Personally I would say the bridge is much better value.

Good job there are options for people I suppose.

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

A certain construction demolition company used to have work created for it in order to prevent owner putting people out of work

Is that what happened to Douglas bus station? 

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’m not after value. I’m after decent food and wine which I can afford to pay for.

Value and price are completely different things.

Some very expensive restaurants are better value than some pubs.  Some pubs are better value than some very expensive restaurants.  It’s nothing to do with price.

I don’t rate the food, ambiance or service in Mrs Yangs.  There are hundreds of places locally I would rather give my money and which I would class as better value.  Some of those are two to three times more expensive than Mrs Yangs but IMO better value.

Just now, Ativa said:

Some very expensive restaurants are better value than some pubs.  Some pubs are better value than some very expensive restaurants.  It’s nothing to do with price.

I didn’t (and don’t) rate either the food or the wine at the Bridge for what I paid. Over £20 for two decidedly average glasses of wine is paying a premium for non premium wine. A very nice bottle of NZ premium wine in Mrs Yangs was £5 more than two H&B glasses. The food wasn’t comparable either. The H&B menu is expensive for what it is, which is pub food served in a pub. 

6 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I didn’t (and don’t) rate either the food or the wine at the Bridge for what I paid. Over £20 for two decidedly average glasses of wine is paying a premium for non premium wine. A very nice bottle of NZ premium wine in Mrs Yangs was £5 more than two H&B glasses. The food wasn’t comparable either. The H&B menu is expensive for what it is, which is pub food served in a pub. 

From the microwave!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I don’t know how the food was cooked five years ago at the Bridge but that seems to have been the golden era ,pre the pizza thing, there

They don’t do pizzas there and haven’t for ages. Which is good, because the pizzas were shocking.

47B9EF9C-6BDF-4393-96C1-957903A07A19.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zarley said:
2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

A certain construction demolition company used to have work created for it in order to prevent owner putting people out of work

Is that what happened to Douglas bus station? 

It's rumoured to be the reason what happened to Park Road and Victoria Road Prison.

• Like 2