Okells

kevster

40 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s already happening. I was talking to a relative on a modest pension yesterday. Just had their gas bill that’s normally around £350, was £900 this time round so basically now using their savings to keep warm. Rates gone up by around £100 too and concerned what the MUA is going to deliver for electricity. This inflation is just stealing wealth off people. What are they going to do when their modest savings have all been spent just keeping warm?

How can bills for gas have tripled when the price has reduced , either it’s  bollocks or they’ve got gas on all day!

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

How can bills for gas have tripled when the price has reduced , either it’s  bollocks or they’ve got gas on all day!

Just relaying what I was told. I don’t have gas so I have no idea what the rate was for last quarter. Just know that the person I was talking to said they were having to take the best part of £500 out of their savings to pay the bill. 

• Haha 1

We're working in UK just now. Local Wetherspoons and a pint of the excellent Doombar is £2.46.

There's food too of course, standard pub grub and a big selection to choose from, it's well priced and as good as pub grub comes (A pint with gammon steak, chips and peas less than £10)

ps I have seen Manx Forum threads for years. Someone always chips in with a 'Wetherspoons' post. Now it's my turn.  

And I'll just say again - a pint of Doombar £2.46. 

1 minute ago, Barlow said:

We're working in UK just now. Local Wetherspoons and a pint of the excellent Doombar is £2.46.

There's food too of course, standard pub grub and a big selection to choose from, it's well priced and as good as pub grub comes (A pint with gammon steak, chips and peas less than £10)

ps I have seen Manx Forum threads for years. Someone always chips in with a 'Wetherspoons' post. Now it's my turn.  

And I'll just say again - a pint of Doombar £2.46. 

£5+ down here!

19 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

£5+ down here!

Change your pub. The Wetherspoons in Cornwall are more-or-less same price as here oop north
Anyway, here's a screen shot of just a selection of choice of pints (I though they were half pints, but no - this is for a pint, and I assure you as good a pint as any).

Screenshot_2023-04-08 beer 01.jpg

Screenshot_2023-04-08 Doombar1.jpg

Edited by Barlow

15 minutes ago, Ativa said:

The newly refurbed Railway wasn’t open for the football at lunchtime.  

Not good enough.  1886 it is then.

@offshoremanxman how does that tie in with my brewery bias 🙄

I haven't been in 1886 much but I hear you can buy all sorts of stuff down there. Hope you enjoy the footie!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Twitch said:

I haven't been in 1886 much but I hear you can buy all sorts of stuff down there. Hope you enjoy the footie!

Ah.  Another stupid comment based on stuff people have heard.

Good food.  Good beer.  Good live music.  Good sport including a dedicated F1 bar which is awesome and another over 30s bar which is also awesome.

Its a great addition to Douglas which occasionally gets knocked by idiots making jokes about buying drugs with no evidence to back up what they are saying.

• Haha 5

39 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Change your pub. The Wetherspoons in Cornwall are more-or-less same price as here oop north
Anyway, here's a screen shot of just a selection of choice of pints (I though they were half pints, but no - this is for a pint, and I assure you as good a pint as any).

Screenshot_2023-04-08 beer 01.jpg

Screenshot_2023-04-08 Doombar1.jpg

Heartbreaker!

41 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Ah.  Another stupid comment based on stuff people have heard.

Good food.  Good beer.  Good live music.  Good sport including a dedicated F1 bar which is awesome and another over 30s bar which is also awesome.

Its a great addition to Douglas which occasionally gets knocked by idiots making jokes about buying drugs with no evidence to back up what they are saying.

We are all different. You wouldn't get me in there again if they were giving beer away. Awful. The antipathies of what we like.

These places have to exist though and I have nothing against them. Good to see they are doing well and I genuinely hope they continue to. Great for the city. 

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Similarly everyone I've spoken to that's had a PAYG electric smart meter fitted claim that their bills have doubled and this preceded the price hike!