Okells

kevster

51 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

We are all different. You wouldn't get me in there again if they were giving beer away. Awful. The antipathies of what we like.

These places have to exist though and I have nothing against them. Good to see they are doing well and I genuinely hope they continue to. Great for the city. 

The restaurant is good though. But agree can’t stand drinking in the place.  It’s a shame it doesn’t have a side door like Jaks so you don’t have to leave via the front bar after a meal. 

56 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

We are all different. You wouldn't get me in there again if they were giving beer away. Awful. The antipathies of what we like.

These places have to exist though and I have nothing against them. Good to see they are doing well and I genuinely hope they continue to. Great for the city. 

Genuine question.  Did you try upstairs (there are several levels) or just do the chavvy bar on the ground floor?

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

The restaurant is good though. But agree can’t stand drinking in the place.  It’s a shame it doesn’t have a side door like Jaks so you don’t have to leave via the front bar after a meal. 

It does, or certainly did.

Edited by Ativa

15 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Genuine question.  Did you try upstairs (there are several levels) or just do the chavvy bar on the ground floor?

Sunday lunch in the restaurant upstairs. Only walked through the downstairs bar. That was enough. Restaurant was ok but too many kids running round and annoying an old grumpy git like me

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barlow said:

Change your pub. The Wetherspoons in Cornwall are more-or-less same price as here oop north
Anyway, here's a screen shot of just a selection of choice of pints (I though they were half pints, but no - this is for a pint, and I assure you as good a pint as any).

I view Doombar as the IBM of the brewing world.

Average to poor product but the best marketing in the business. You see it everywhere!

I would certainly go for an Abbot as it's one of my faves but never in a Wethers. Not only is Tim Martin a thoroughly nasty piece of work but he also knows how to target his market to wit:

“I cook meals for drug addicts, gamblers, alcoholics, derros that sort of thing,” 
“Charity work?” 
“No, Wetherspoons....”

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Sunday lunch in the restaurant upstairs. Only walked through the downstairs bar. That was enough. Restaurant was ok but too many kids running round and annoying an old grumpy git like me

You should have gone up another floor to the over 30’s bar.

25 minutes ago, P.K. said:

I view Doombar as the IBM of the brewing world.

Average to poor product but the best marketing in the business. You see it everywhere!

I would certainly go for an Abbot as it's one of my faves but never in a Wethers. Not only is Tim Martin a thoroughly nasty piece of work but he also knows how to target his market to wit:

“I cook meals for drug addicts, gamblers, alcoholics, derros that sort of thing,” 
“Charity work?” 
“No, Wetherspoons....”

Well he called Brexit right.

Drug addicts, gamblers and alcoholics also need to eat. And his pub meals are cheaper than the average.

JD Wetherspoons UK nominated charity is Young Lives v cancer, supporting children and young adults with cancer. Since 2002 Wetherspoons has raised over £21million pounds for the charity.

I’d be happy to taste his wares and I am none of the above.

What/who are “derros” may I ask?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Update on amount raised for Young Lives v Cancer
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And lift access!

Yes there is lift access, and no TVs.  Unless you go to the F1 lounge which has TVs.

I don’t get what peoples issue is with the place? It’s kinda like most of those moaning haven’t really tried it.

@Happier diner 1886 isn’t a pub.  If you want a pub with a fire and is dog friendly then you are in the minority or you could try the British.  We left the other week because someone’s dog was stomping around and harassing diners when we were planning to order.

18 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Yes there is lift access, and no TVs.  Unless you go to the F1 lounge which has TVs.

I don’t get what peoples issue is with the place? It’s kinda like most of those moaning haven’t really tried it.

@Happier diner 1886 isn’t a pub.  If you want a pub with a fire and is dog friendly then you are in the minority or you could try the British.  We left the other week because someone’s dog was stomping around and harassing diners when we were planning to order.

I love dogs in pubs. Not quite sure how they “ stomp” around. Yes of course they should be under control.

But a well behaved dog in a pub is a blessing.

• Like 4