Okells

kevster

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well he called Brexit right.

Drug addicts, gamblers and alcoholics also need to eat. And his pub meals are cheaper than the average.

JD Wetherspoons UK nominated charity is Young Lives v cancer, supporting children and young adults with cancer. Since 2002 Wetherspoons has raised over £21million pounds for the charity.

I’d be happy to taste his wares and I am none of the above.

What/who are “derros” may I ask?

How do you know you are none of the above if you don't know who "derros" are?

They're exactly as google says they are. As I'm sure you know. 

So Tim Martin called Brexit right? As his business is losing money and he's having to trim down his organisation imagine how bad it would be if he called Brexit wrong...? Of course, his rightsizing is nothing to do with brexit even though he can't get staff...

You're as full of BS as Tim Martin.

4 hours ago, Ativa said:

Ah.  Another stupid comment based on stuff people have heard.

Good food.  Good beer.  Good live music.  Good sport including a dedicated F1 bar which is awesome and another over 30s bar which is also awesome.

Its a great addition to Douglas which occasionally gets knocked by idiots making jokes about buying drugs with no evidence to back up what they are saying.

Hate to burst your bubble but the food isn't that great and the service from one or two of them leaves a lot to be desired

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Hate to burst your bubble but the food isn't that great and the service from one or two of them leaves a lot to be desired

And I bet you haven’t been in there for weeks.

You probably think the robot is rude.

The thing with hospitality on the island is people tend to form opinions based on what happened three months ago. When in reality a place can have changed massively in the passing weeks.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

I view Doombar as the IBM of the brewing world.

Average to poor product but the best marketing in the business. You see it everywhere!

I would certainly go for an Abbot as it's one of my faves but never in a Wethers. Not only is Tim Martin a thoroughly nasty piece of work but he also knows how to target his market to wit:

“I cook meals for drug addicts, gamblers, alcoholics, derros that sort of thing,” 
“Charity work?” 
“No, Wetherspoons....”

I had heard a lot of reports about Wetherspoons, but have rarely had the chance to visit them, me being from  t'Isle of Man and all that.

Doombar is an excellent pint. Maybe I have become too used to OKells and Bushy's, which when on form is excellent too. 

There are two Wetherspoons where I am just now and they are quite different except they both serve good food and in my opinion excellent beer. One of them does seem to attract the clientele (derroos?) you mention and I feel quite comfortable in there, the other is aimed at the younger trendy crowd and funnily enough I feel comfortable enough in there too.

There was a letter in the Viz magazine 'top tips' section: "Save yourself going onto a film set as an extra in a Zombie film. Just go to Wetherspoons at 10:30am"

The share price took a hell of a hit during lockdown but it is bouncing back now. "Buy, buy, buy" that Doombar

• Like 1

Lot of interesting comments in this thread.

My take.

Been talking to the police alcohol unit a lot in the last week. They have no issues with 1886 and believe it is well run. Given the size of the venue, they are happy with their workload from it. I don't personally believe it's great. The food is fine. The alcohol, well for me, leaves a bit to be desired. The change in the upstairs over 30 lounge was supposed to be from the off, may have been 25s then. Didn't happen. Don't know if it's being policed now. The food is decent, to be fair. There is definitely a side door although it may still be in the bar, from recollection. 

Doom Bar is a terrible beer IMO. Most of the ones listed in here cheap are too. 

Some excellent examples of cask beer at the CAMRA Beer and Cider festival here at the weekend, which is just ending tonight. Knocks spots off anything mentioned in here or on most of the Isle of Man already, IMO. 

Wetherspoons are soulless holes and run by an extremely horrible man. 

To the original point, all prices are going up. The brewery very recently had their own brewing equipment up for sale. Not privy to inside knowledge but suggests to me they're going to outsource the brewing. Carling is up everywhere as Molson Coors have put prices up twice already this year. More will follow. Guinness is the same and will increase again at your local shortly, if it hasn't already. 

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Last 5 drinks on my list...

Doom bar

Guinness

Water

Other people's piss

Okells

That's a disappointing post. Doom is shite I agree. Guinness has always been over rated. But some of the Okells beers can match pretty much any cask beers in the world. The MPA has been fantastic for the last 2 years and now the IPA is back too. That a decent pint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackwhite said:

Lot of interesting comments in this thread.

My take.

Been talking to the police alcohol unit a lot in the last week. They have no issues with 1886 and believe it is well run. Given the size of the venue, they are happy with their workload from it. I don't personally believe it's great. The food is fine. The alcohol, well for me, leaves a bit to be desired. The change in the upstairs over 30 lounge was supposed to be from the off, may have been 25s then. Didn't happen. Don't know if it's being policed now. The food is decent, to be fair. There is definitely a side door although it may still be in the bar, from recollection. 

Doom Bar is a terrible beer IMO. Most of the ones listed in here cheap are too. 

Some excellent examples of cask beer at the CAMRA Beer and Cider festival here at the weekend, which is just ending tonight. Knocks spots off anything mentioned in here or on most of the Isle of Man already, IMO. 

Wetherspoons are soulless holes and run by an extremely horrible man. 

To the original point, all prices are going up. The brewery very recently had their own brewing equipment up for sale. Not privy to inside knowledge but suggests to me they're going to outsource the brewing. Carling is up everywhere as Molson Coors have put prices up twice already this year. More will follow. Guinness is the same and will increase again at your local shortly, if it hasn't already. 

If you read the planning application for H+B you will see they are wanting to install a Micro Brewery, how the mighty have fallen

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

How do you know you are none of the above if you don't know who "derros" are?

They're exactly as google says they are. As I'm sure you know. 

So Tim Martin called Brexit right? As his business is losing money and he's having to trim down his organisation imagine how bad it would be if he called Brexit wrong...? Of course, his rightsizing is nothing to do with brexit even though he can't get staff...

You're as full of BS as Tim Martin.

I subsequently did Google “derros” . Apparently is an Australian term for undesirables. Not a term in common usage here which is why I asked. Are you of Australian extraction?