Okells

kevster

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

I have had many a pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord beer as a guest beer at various outlets on the Island. None finer than that currently being offered at the Traf in Ramsey.Highly recommend.

Champion Beer of Britain at CAMRA 's GBBF many times, more than any other beer

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

So Tim Martin called Brexit right? As his business is losing money and he's having to trim down his organisation imagine how bad it would be if he called Brexit wrong...? Of course, his rightsizing is nothing to do with brexit even though he can't get staff...

You're as full of BS as Tim Martin.

I’d be happy if my bank account was as full as his.

17 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

Excuse me we were Brewing 20,000 Brls a year when I was there that is not Micro

I suppose everything is relative. Not sure  what is the definition of micro is TBH.  My response though was about someone saying they were mighty. They are not and never have been. Is there 3 modestly sized fermenters? Hardly mighty. 

Maybe a small brewery compared to something like Timmy Taylor's. 

FTR. I still say the MPA is brill at the moment and I rate it as good as landlord..just sayin....

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I subsequently did Google “derros” . Apparently is an Australian term for undesirables. Not a term in common usage here which is why I asked. Are you of Australian extraction?

You "subsequently" googled the term "derros" - yeah, right... You're so full of it.

It's strine for "derelict" as in "a vagrant, especially one who is dependent on alcohol" ie Tim Martin's market sector of choice...

48 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I suppose everything is relative. Not sure  what is the definition of micro is TBH.  My response though was about someone saying they were mighty. They are not and never have been. Is there 3 modestly sized fermenters? Hardly mighty. 

Maybe a small brewery compared to something like Timmy Taylor's. 

FTR. I still say the MPA is brill at the moment and I rate it as good as landlord..just sayin....

To give you the facts there were 4 X 60 Brl Fermnters, 1 x 20 Brl and 3 x 120 Brl Fermenters and ^ x 120 Brl Conditoining Tanks plus 3 x 30 Brl rough beer vessels and 2 x 60 Brl Bright Tanks a little bit bigger than T. Tayalors

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jackwhite said:

Lot of interesting comments in this thread.

My take.

Been talking to the police alcohol unit a lot in the last week. They have no issues with 1886 and believe it is well run. Given the size of the venue, they are happy with their workload from it. I don't personally believe it's great. The food is fine. The alcohol, well for me, leaves a bit to be desired. The change in the upstairs over 30 lounge was supposed to be from the off, may have been 25s then. Didn't happen. Don't know if it's being policed now. The food is decent, to be fair. There is definitely a side door although it may still be in the bar, from recollection. 

Doom Bar is a terrible beer IMO. Most of the ones listed in here cheap are too. 

Some excellent examples of cask beer at the CAMRA Beer and Cider festival here at the weekend, which is just ending tonight. Knocks spots off anything mentioned in here or on most of the Isle of Man already, IMO. 

Wetherspoons are soulless holes and run by an extremely horrible man. 

To the original point, all prices are going up. The brewery very recently had their own brewing equipment up for sale. Not privy to inside knowledge but suggests to me they're going to outsource the brewing. Carling is up everywhere as Molson Coors have put prices up twice already this year. More will follow. Guinness is the same and will increase again at your local shortly, if it hasn't already. 

1886 Where the barman couldnt make a Okells bitter shandy for the wife,Wtf. Walked out went to the British no probs. Okells Bitter stands tall amongst any beer when done right at that 3.6abv range. Love it ,but realise they can anoy the population with dodgy property bollox re/ LA and the ones in Ramsey. As for Wetherspoons being souless shitholes? Some have stunning propertys,hard working staff,where you can have 2 meals and 2 drinks for £16.Abbots ale £2,49 a pint.its a great beer.

Just now, Ďouglas Peel said:

1886 Where the barman couldnt make a Okells bitter shandy for the wife,Wtf. Walked out went to the British no probs. Okells Bitter stands tall amongst any beer when done right at that 3.6abv range. Love it ,but realise they can annoy the population with dodgy property bollox re/ LA and the ones in Ramsey. As for Wetherspoons being souless shitholes? Some have stunning propertys,hard working staff,where you can have 2 meals and 2 drinks for £16.Abbots ale £2,49 a pint.its a great beer.

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Yugh! Even the locals hate it. Gotta say, everyone is entitled to their view but I much prefer our own offerings. 

Locals I know like it.

A good day/night out last night which included The Bridge, British, Railway, O’donnels, San Webb’s, The Albert and Oscars from Okells.  I have no idea why they have done The Railway up and not touched the toilets.  The gents don’t even have tops on the taps.

All busy and a much younger crowd than I expected on the Quay. Especially in The Bridge to the extent that I think we were the oldest in there.

1886 also busy as were The Front Porch and The Thirsty Pigeon.  Sir Normans is just weird with no draught beers!

Jaks was rammed as usual, and Quids inn like a social experiment.

Decent food in Coast and Barbary Coast.

All in it was surprisingly busy considering the beer festival was on at the Villa.

I didn’t see any evidence of an industry struggling and people not spending.  There were bottles of wine and cocktails (not in Sam Webb’s obviously) and people buying food all over the place.

Okells pubs had something for everyone as far as I could see with live music in most of them and good service.  The girl behind the bar in the British remembered our round without me having to tell her and we are rarely in there.

A good solid 14 hours out and about, so back to bed for an hour now before a 13:00 lunch reservation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P.K. said:

You "subsequently" googled the term "derros" - yeah, right... You're so full of it.

It's strine for "derelict" as in "a vagrant, especially one who is dependent on alcohol" ie Tim Martin's market sector of choice...

I know now. I googled it

“Strine”?. What on earth? (Don’t worry I’ve googled that as well)

Do you conduct all your conversations in Australian slang?

8 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

To give you the facts there were 4 X 60 Brl Fermnters, 1 x 20 Brl and 3 x 120 Brl Fermenters and ^ x 120 Brl Conditoining Tanks plus 3 x 30 Brl rough beer vessels and 2 x 60 Brl Bright Tanks a little bit bigger than T. Tayalors

Interesting facts and appreciate the information. Just for further clarification though, TTs make a considerably greater volume of ale than the Okells brewery. I think landlord is about the 5th biggest selling cask beer in the UK. Its everywhere these day. 

I believe Doom bar is the biggest selling, probably due to their contract with Wetherspoon's. Greene King seem to have landlors as a regular in many pubs.

19 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Interesting facts and appreciate the information. Just for further clarification though, TTs make a considerably greater volume of ale than the Okells brewery. I think landlord is about the 5th biggest selling cask beer in the UK. Its everywhere these day. 

I believe Doom bar is the biggest selling, probably due to their contract with Wetherspoon's. Greene King seem to have landlors as a regular in many pubs.

It might be now but not in 1994 when I designed the new Brewery