Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

2 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Don't they do this already with the current IRIS scheme,  there is a pumping station near the White Hoe I think, did they not have to buy some properties there because of the vibration caused by it?.

Yes they did. 
Another financial disaster. 

Ludicrous. The water quality at Laxey is excellent for most of the time even now. All it needs is efficient screening and a longer outfall pipe taken further around Laxey Head for it to be even better. This is all about making a "modern" standard solution fit a non-standard location. It will be an ongoing nightmare of stink, cost and inconvenience.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Don't they do this already with the current IRIS scheme,  there is a pumping station near the White Hoe I think, did they not have to buy some properties there because of the vibration caused by it?.

Believe the pumps have an imbalance in the impeller blades, or possibly the wrong number of blades for the flow rates, so it ended up with low frequency vibration that transmits well through the ground and into the houses opposite. Add in the fact it could happen day or night and random times depending on a combination varying flow rates and capacity of holding tanks up and down stream. 

Obviously any antivibration mounts didn't work.  

1 hour ago, woolley said:

Ludicrous. The water quality at Laxey is excellent for most of the time even now. All it needs is efficient screening and a longer outfall pipe taken further around Laxey Head for it to be even better. This is all about making a "modern" standard solution fit a non-standard location. It will be an ongoing nightmare of stink, cost and inconvenience.

I thought there was some rule that we were breaking. I think all sewage outfall need to be treated these days. Not sure. 

I dont think it would ever seem to be morally right to put untreated sewage into the sea even if common sense would tell you it was scientifically harmless. 

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

I thought there was some rule that we were breaking. I think all sewage outfall need to be treated these days. Not sure. 

I dont think it would ever seem to be morally right to put untreated sewage into the sea even if common sense would tell you it was scientifically harmless. 

Yes, this is why I said it's a case of making a "modern" standard solution fit a non-standard location. It's a box ticking exercise, and a very expensive one at that which is fraught with difficulty.

"Some rule" didn't stop Guernsey renewing all of theirs:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-34859898

I'm not saying it should be done more widely where there are viable onshore options, but in Laxey the status quo improved would be the least worst option all round.

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

didn't they also get flooded out by raw sewage coming back up through their toilets at one point due to pressure in the system or was that elsewhere on route to missery veg.