Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

4 hours ago, Banker said:

So garff aren’t actually obtaining the report at their expense they want Tynwald to get it & all taxpayers to pay for it, typical NIMBY attitude. Just tell Laxey to FO & shove the treatment plant on the football field.

They either want sewage pumped into the sea or not!!’

It is getting pretty ridiculous now - there should be a significant levy on Garff rates to pay for this NIMBYism nonsense which has driven costs up massively (and no doubt true costs will be obscured and mangled in with other schemes/opex streams so it can't be benchmarked against comparable UK schemes at 1/6th of the cost).

It should also be considered in the overhaul of planning which isn't suited to these types of issues - whether there needs to be a separate consents process for larger projects or those affecting a large number of stakeholders. 

• Like 1

the scheme should be carried out in the most practical  and cost effective way , not  gold plated to suit those who are expecting the rest of us   to stump up for Rolls Royce  scheme  and massive pumping and energy costs , there are hundreds of  modern  high  standard sewage treatment plants  in many towns and  small communes all over Europe  similar to  this location ,  Agree with Max if Laxey has a problem then  lets have some  local input regarding solutions ,  its obvious the energy and pumping costs of iris have gone through the roof  and the one size fits all model is no longer affordable , 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Sigh - here we go again...Garff residents want a different location for sewage plant

I'm at the stage now where I don't care where it goes, however, I will say that with fifty possible locations examined, I cannot believe that there couldn't have been a better one that would be cheaper and wouldn't involve pumping sewage up hill.

Axenfell was all kept very quiet. Not even the commissioners knew about it.

I can't help but wonder if by choosing the most ridiculous location that they are hoping that the Cairn site will be revisited for the whole thing.

It stinks a bit, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Just so

14 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Sigh - here we go again...Garff residents want a different location for sewage plant

I'm at the stage now where I don't care where it goes, however, I will say that with fifty possible locations examined, I cannot believe that there couldn't have been a better one that would be cheaper and wouldn't involve pumping sewage up hill.

I can't help but wonder if by choosing the most ridiculous location that they are hoping that the Cairn site will be revisited for the whole thing.

It will be the same in peel, we wanted sewage sorted but don’t dare put it anywhere near me & let’s get the most expensive scheme as long as it doesn’t cost peel ratepayers!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Where would you put them?

If the Laxey one is not in Laxey at the bottom of the Hill where the pipe is. How could you put it anywhere else without pumping?

I spent more time in and around the sea in Laxey in my teens than anyone I know (unfortunately not so much now) and my knowlwdge of the marine environment is also better than most. The water quality 99% of the time is excellent with the current situation and I've never been sick after being in (unlike Peel). The costs and effort are getting ridiculous now and I'd warrant the vast majority of the nimbys never get salty. If anything just extend the outflow a bit further north.

15 minutes ago, La_Dolce_Vita said:

It's a shame that Garwick Glen can't be turned into a public glen somehow, as it's supposed to have been one of the prettiest glens on the island.

I am sure it was many years ago, I have very vague memories of going there in the 60s.  It was bought (one of the Bibby family, I think, they certainly lived there in the early 1980s) and was then closed to the public.  No idea who owns it now. 

23 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I am sure it was many years ago, I have very vague memories of going there in the 60s.  It was bought (one of the Bibby family, I think, they certainly lived there in the early 1980s) and was then closed to the public.  No idea who owns it now. 

"Robinsons" people I was told.

Yes it was the Bibby family that lived there. I recall being told that the Bibby's kept the gardens open until some hooligan came along and damaged some property in the grounds. Not sure if that was true or whether they never opened it at all after the purchase.

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

"Robinsons" people I was told.

Yes it was the Bibby family that lived there. I recall being told that the Bibby's kept the gardens open until some hooligan came along and damaged some property in the grounds. Not sure if that was true or whether they never opened it at all after the purchase.

that would certainly make sense about vandalism.