Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

3 hours ago, Gladys said:

I am sure it was many years ago, I have very vague memories of going there in the 60s.  It was bought (one of the Bibby family, I think, they certainly lived there in the early 1980s) and was then closed to the public.  No idea who owns it now. 

Garwick is a beautiful glen  and goes right down to the beech , there is a maze in there and Dirk Haggards cave  ,I hope now the MUA appear to have bought it  it could very well become part of the Manx national glens , but dont hold your breath if some millionaire come along  and wants to buy it , 

the question that  needs answering , if its not required  now,  why did  the MUA purchase it in the first place , its like the historic  building in Peel they demolished  without knowing where the sewage   treatment works is going to be constructed , no wonder they are in serious debt 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Garwick is a beautiful glen  and goes right down to the beech , there is a maze in there and Dirk Haggards cave  ,I hope now the MUA appear to have bought it  it could very well become part of the Manx national glens , but dont hold your breath if some millionaire come along  and wants to buy it , 

the question that  needs answering , if its not required  now,  why did  the MUA purchase it in the first place , its like the historic  building in Peel they demolished  without knowing where the sewage   treatment works is going to be constructed , no wonder they we are in serious debt 

Corrected.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Omobono said:

the question that  needs answering , if its not required  now,  why did  the MUA purchase it in the first place , its like the historic  building in Peel they demolished  without knowing where the sewage   treatment works is going to be constructed , no wonder they are in serious debt 

It makes perfect sense to do it that way, it's better to buy first. Disney bought a load of swampland in Florida through several anonymous(e) companies before starting plans on Disney World, because they knew if anyone found out about it, the land prices would go through the roof. If the MUA buys it before anything happens, they can either use it for their plan, or sell it if they don't, without a loss. If they wait, then a speculator will buy it and charge them the earth.

2 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

It makes perfect sense to do it that way, it's better to buy first. Disney bought a load of swampland in Florida through several anonymous(e) companies before starting plans on Disney World, because they knew if anyone found out about it, the land prices would go through the roof. If the MUA buys it before anything happens, they can either use it for their plan, or sell it if they don't, without a loss. If they wait, then a speculator will buy it and charge them the earth.

if the Garwick site was that important for the sewage scheme  the government have the power to compulsory purchase it  in the National  interest ,   this can be done to avoid speculation  , or people holding out for years  

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

"Robinsons" people I was told.

Yes it was the Bibby family that lived there. I recall being told that the Bibby's kept the gardens open until some hooligan came along and damaged some property in the grounds. Not sure if that was true or whether they never opened it at all after the purchase.

The Robinsons guys certainly used to own the biggest 'boat shed' on the beach that was converted to more of a summer house a few years ago. 

33 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I don’t think MUA have bought it , been no announcement to confirm that. I understood they were negotiating but owner wasn’t keen on selling & site wasn’t chosen so no purchase needed.

10 hours ago, Roxanne said:

Sigh - here we go again...Garff residents want a different location for sewage plant

I'm at the stage now where I don't care where it goes, however, I will say that with fifty possible locations examined, I cannot believe that there couldn't have been a better one that would be cheaper and wouldn't involve pumping sewage up hill.

Axenfell was all kept very quiet. Not even the commissioners knew about it.

I don't know how many feet above lower Laxey Axenfell actually is but I certainly wouldn't want to push a wheelbarrow filled with MUA salaries up there....it must be nearly a third of the way to Creg-ny- Baa?

5 hours ago, Gladys said:

I am sure it was many years ago, I have very vague memories of going there in the 60s.  It was bought (one of the Bibby family, I think, they certainly lived there in the early 1980s) and was then closed to the public.  No idea who owns it now. 

Wiki has an interesting article .  It's nominally about the associated MER stop/station, which at one time had buildings etc, and it says that the last operational season as a tourist attraction was 1965. But the owner did sometimes have open days, presumably for charity, those those have ceased.

Edited to add:  As MadAsHell says Garwick Glen was sold for £2.2 million in November 2021 (though not fully registered till last June) main piece as shown:

image.png.69227335bbf94c19e5972422487a7337.png

It's not clear exactly what pieces of adjacent land were included.

Edited by Roger Mexico
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2023 at 5:23 PM, Banker said:

So garff aren’t actually obtaining the report at their expense they want Tynwald to get it & all taxpayers to pay for it, typical NIMBY attitude

So in exactly the same way the Iris scheme was funded by all taxpayers even though it only benefitted residents of Onchan, Douglas and the south of the island?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roxanne said:

So, is it still owned by the MUA?

Yes, they were the people who bought the Estate in 2021 and this was widely reported at the time.  I'm not quite sure exactly what was included, the records show "Glen Garwick" as being sold for £2.2 million and "Portions of Land at Glen Garwick" effectively being included as a separate transaction.  The Glen itself as shown above is presumably the main bit, with or without the bit with the lake bit to the NW on the other side of the river, but I'm not sure what other adjacent plots were in the "Portions". 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Yes, they were the people who bought the Estate in 2021 and this was widely reported at the time.  I'm not quite sure exactly what was included, the records show "Glen Garwick" as being sold for £2.2 million and "Portions of Land at Glen Garwick" effectively being included as a separate transaction.  The Glen itself as shown above is presumably the main bit, with or without the bit with the lake bit to the NW on the other side of the river, but I'm not sure what other adjacent plots were in the "Portions". 

Wasn't the original plan to have 2 separate sewage works. One at Laxey and one at Gatwick. I imagine the land in garwick was bought for the latter. 

• Like 1