Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

Just now, The Phantom said:

Grimly unsurprising that I don't think anyone has done a study into what % of fish's diet is shit!  It would only be a few limited species however.  Increased regulation of fishing would more than likely make up for any loss in our second hand food.  Just look at the Herring fishery now back from being dead for 30 (or more) years.  Likely also the reason for increased dolphin /whale activity here.  Where the basking sharks have gone however is a bit of a mystery. 

It wasn't really the fish I was thinking would be eating it, more the teeny tiny things. Which possibly brings your basking shark point into focus, cos that's what they're after.

36 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

It could be renamed Cacksey and marketed on the nutritional benefits of turdy seawater.

It isn't though, and that's entirely the point when you look beyond the hype and hysteria. The water in Laxey is fine. The prevailing currents are away from the beach and the population is small.

Globally, 85% of sewage is dumped raw into the sea. On the Island we have more than reversed that, certainly once Peel is attended to. If we are hellbent on spending the money and want to improve the environment (there's only one body of seawater), it would make more sense to donate the money to some third world city that shits directly into a river estuary so they can sort that out.

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

It wasn't really the fish I was thinking would be eating it, more the teeny tiny things. Which possibly brings your basking shark point into focus, cos that's what they're after.

Interesting idea.  Phytoplankton is however susceptible to huge blooms often caused by fertiliser (and I suppose shit) run-off from fields.  It's partially responsible for Red Tides or Eutrophication, which are overall detrimental to sea life as they take all the oxygen out of the water.  I suppose you'd probably end up with some sort of positive feedback loop. 

8 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Grimly unsurprising that I don't think anyone has done a study into what % of fish's diet is shit!  It would only be a few limited species however.  Increased regulation of fishing would more than likely make up for any loss in our second hand food.  Just look at the Herring fishery now back from being dead for 30 (or more) years.  Likely also the reason for increased dolphin /whale activity here.  Where the basking sharks have gone however is a bit of a mystery. 

Long years ago while growing up near Ramsey, I (we) often went fishing for whiting (?) which gathered at the end of the outfall from the Grand Island. Never ate them myself, the cat loved them though. Also the gulls dined handsomely on whiting there.

1 minute ago, GD4ELI said:

Long years ago while growing up near Ramsey, I (we) often went fishing for whiting (?) which gathered at the end of the outfall from the Grand Island. Never ate them myself, the cat loved them though. Also the gulls dined handsomely on whiting there.

Yeah them or Callig (Pollack) known as 'Shitties' for a reason. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

Disappointing but kind of understandable considering the literal shit show going on in with the Water Companies in the UK at the moment. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/promise-of-clean-water-by-summer-2026-as-sewage-works-delayed/

At least when Peel and Laxey get done, the Isle will be able to claim it is significantly better than the UK.  Good for the 'Biosphere' and the sudden curious rise of cold water dipping/swimming. 

Trust me as a water engineer, the islands rivers and beaches  are no better, well maybe a bit, but not a lot. You also have to factor in the lack of environmental rules on the rock and you get chemicals discharged too but that is another row.

MUA, have from what I have been told only just recently have, put in monitors for their sewer treatment works that discharge into rivers and they (MUA) were shocked at the results when it rains heavy. - This was driven by the press coverage in the UK which made the usual suspects of MHKs ask questions...

Flame away Woolley but this is the truth.

Bottom line,  do not swim in the sea in most places in the island and if the river is deep enough and downstream of a STW  give that a miss too.

I am not saying the UK is better, I just don't have IOM is pure blinkers on like some do on here. The Rock may be less contaminated with SH1T but it is just the same.

If you want to swim go to a swimming pool.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, woolley said:

It isn't though, and that's entirely the point when you look beyond the hype and hysteria. The water in Laxey is fine. The prevailing currents are away from the beach and the population is small.

Globally, 85% of sewage is dumped raw into the sea. On the Island we have more than reversed that, certainly once Peel is attended to. If we are hellbent on spending the money and want to improve the environment (there's only one body of seawater), it would make more sense to donate the money to some third world city that shits directly into a river estuary so they can sort that out.

I agree that technically it probably doesn't harm the ocean that much by putting screened sewage into it. 

However, do you really think it's right that families should go onto beaches that are lapped by water containing raw sewage in this day and age? Personally ,and on balance , I favour the treatment option. 

3 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Trust me as a water engineer, the islands rivers and beaches  are no better, well maybe a bit, but not a lot. You also have to factor in the lack of environmental rules on the rock and you get chemicals discharged too but that is another row.

MUA, have from what I have been told only just recently have, put in monitors for their sewer treatment works that discharge into rivers and they (MUA) were shocked at the results when it rains heavy. - This was driven by the press coverage in the UK which made the usual suspects of MHKs ask questions...

Flame away Woolley but this is the truth.

Bottom line,  do not swim in the sea in most places in the island and if the river is deep enough and downstream of a STW  give that a miss too.

I am not saying the UK is better, I just don't have IOM is pure blinkers on like some do on here. The Rock may be less contaminated with SH1T but it is just the same.

If you want to swim go to a swimming pool.

No, I won't flame you on that. There's lots of agricultural effluent going into the sea at all points of the compass, and huge amounts of industrial and chemical waste. The biosphere notion is an effin' joke.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I agree that technically it probably doesn't harm the ocean that much by putting screened sewage into it. 

However, do you really think it's right that families should go onto beaches that are lapped by water containing raw sewage in this day and age? Personally ,and on balance , I favour the treatment option. 

As I said, it isn't really a problem in Laxey. The prevailing currents are away from the beach. The projected solution is completely out of proportion to the problem, particularly in hard times. Probably more damaging to the environment too, all things considered. Box ticking.

• Sad 1

On 4/4/2024 at 7:47 PM, woolley said:

No, I won't flame you on that. There's lots of agricultural effluent going into the sea at all points of the compass, and huge amounts of industrial and chemical waste. The biosphere notion is an effin' joke.

Where?

6 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Where?

Grass silage pits are one I can think of I also know of many light industrial units, especially garages,  that just dispose "down the drain" albeit not huge quantities but it happens.

What you have to remember is there are no real, or should I say, enforced environmental regulations on Fraggle rock.

Do you not remember the IOMSPCO having an incident where their bilge water was back fed into Lower Douglas Water mains?

No wonder you are all so compliant, you are all drugged, poisoned.........

Have you ever wondered why the IOM tap water smells so strongly of chlorine (Bleach) - When you let the tap run until the water is cold? Go to the tap now with a pint glass, run the cold water until the glass feels cold and smell the water before you drink it.

I have not smelt that much chlorine/ bleach - same thing -  in water anywhere else and I live in Essex/ Yorkshire/ A better place.....

Just walk along the  riverside nature trail in Braddan  on the old railway lines   and see whats happening in the industrial estate that follows the river , all the surface water  fuel and possible chemical spills  go straight into the river , lorries being washed effluent from detergent and de greaser  rubbish starting to make its way down the banks  its  I bet there is not one interceptor  system to prevent possible water pollution ,  time these sites were monitored  and improvement notices issued preferably before an environmental disaster , 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Grass silage pits are one I can think of I also know of many light industrial units, especially garages,  that just dispose "down the drain" albeit not huge quantities but it happens.

What you have to remember is there are no real, or should I say, enforced environmental regulations on Fraggle rock.

Do you not remember the IOMSPCO having an incident where their bilge water was back fed into Lower Douglas Water mains?

No wonder you are all so compliant, you are all drugged, poisoned.........

Have you ever wondered why the IOM tap water smells so strongly of chlorine (Bleach) - When you let the tap run until the water is cold? Go to the tap now with a pint glass, run the cold water until the glass feels cold and smell the water before you drink it.

I have not smelt that much chlorine/ bleach - same thing -  in water anywhere else and I live in Essex/ Yorkshire/ A better place.....

I think you need to lay off what ever you are drinking, smoking, injecting.

• Haha 2