Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

22 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Grass silage pits are one I can think of I also know of many light industrial units, especially garages,  that just dispose "down the drain" albeit not huge quantities but it happens.

What you have to remember is there are no real, or should I say, enforced environmental regulations on Fraggle rock.

Do you not remember the IOMSPCO having an incident where their bilge water was back fed into Lower Douglas Water mains?

No wonder you are all so compliant, you are all drugged, poisoned.........

Have you ever wondered why the IOM tap water smells so strongly of chlorine (Bleach) - When you let the tap run until the water is cold? Go to the tap now with a pint glass, run the cold water until the glass feels cold and smell the water before you drink it.

I have not smelt that much chlorine/ bleach - same thing -  in water anywhere else and I live in Essex/ Yorkshire/ A better place.....

Thank you. Saved me the trouble.

@Happier diner As above, and add to that virtually every other industrial estate where waste and even escaped product can be found in local water courses. Nothing is ever done to stop renegade operators it seems. Add to these, numerous historical mine workings and abandoned rubbish dumps where the leachate remains a problem decades and centuries later. The Raggatt, Point of Ayre, problems downplayed by the government.

Have you ever walked down the river bank past the White Hoe? Goodness knows what the disgusting multicoloured soup that constantly makes its way across the footpath and into the river consists of. I was told it was near the site of an old industrial dump that's full of toxic polychlorinated biphenyls, but I don't know for sure. The colours are pretty, though somewhat unnatural.

As for the chlorine in the water @Blade Runner is quite right on this. For some reason they simply cannot keep the levels right and it's always far too alkaline. One of our processes required a steady neutral pH of 7-8, but the mains water was routinely over 10. They didn't believe us until we had them down to test it. God help us if they get the go ahead for fluoridation!

I am not saying that this stuff doesn't go on elsewhere incidentally. It absolutely does, but that is no reason to stick our heads in the effluent.

Edited by woolley

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Everything I said IS TRUE - If you believe the link you have gone very much down in my estimation of an inteliget person.

Just because MUA say they do something, can you not use your own nose and smell it? The Chlorine content is horrendous.

The worst thing IMHO  was the IOMSPCO back wash into lower Douglas drinking water. That was out there with the Indian bhopal disaster

Ok I know its not that bad  but it is pretty much the same type of thing and the worst bit is no one on the island really knows what happened....... That is the problem

See Woolley's post, he knows it it too and he usually disagrees with me! He has experience of different water and testing capability.

Much like the air quality on Fraggle Rock it is sh1t if you do a proper test.

Edited by Blade Runner
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, woolley said:

Thank you. Saved me the trouble.

@Happier diner As above, and add to that virtually every other industrial estate where waste and even escaped product can be found in local water courses. Nothing is ever done to stop renegade operators it seems. Add to these, numerous historical mine workings and abandoned rubbish dumps where the leachate remains a problem decades and centuries later. The Raggatt, Point of Ayre, problems downplayed by the government.

Have you ever walked down the river bank past the White Hoe? Goodness knows what the disgusting multicoloured soup that constantly makes its way across the footpath and into the river consists of. I was told it was near the site of an old industrial dump that's full of toxic polychlorinated biphenyls, but I don't know for sure. The colours are pretty, though somewhat unnatural.

As for the chlorine in the water @Blade Runner is quite right on this. For some reason they simply cannot keep the levels right and it's always far too alkaline. One of our processes required a steady neutral pH of 7-8, but the mains water was routinely over 10. They didn't believe us until we had them down to test it. God help us if they get the go ahead for fluoridation!

I am not saying that this stuff doesn't go on elsewhere incidentally. It absolutely does, but that is no reason to stick our heads in the effluent.

As you said, nothing is done to stop renegade operators on the rock.

It was one of the reasons I left as it is not a level playing field. In my industry, those that did not give a sh1t made money as they were cheaper in tenders.

The stuff you have seen near White Hoe  is near nuclear toxicity, I had to do some work there and it is 150 years of tipping anything under what is now DBC Golf course which leaches continually into the river for all to see.

Really really nasty stuff

How the actual Fu5k the Rock got Biosphere status beggars logic or facts on the ground

6 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

As you said, nothing is done to stop renegade operators on the rock.

It was one of the reasons I left as it is not a level playing field. In my industry, those that did not give a sh1t made money as they were cheaper in tenders.

The stuff you have seen near White Hoe  is near nuclear toxicity, I had to do some work there and it is 150 years of tipping anything under what is now DBC Golf course which leaches continually into the river for all to see.

Really really nasty stuff

How the actual Fu5k the Rock got Biosphere status beggars logic or facts on the ground

From recent research 

the data is clear: Our rivers are in a desperate state of affairs:

• No single stretch of river in England or Northern Ireland is in good overall health.
  • Just 15% of English, 31% of Northern Irish and 50% of Irish river stretches reach good ecological health standards.
  • Toxic chemicals that remain in ecosystems for decades pollute every stretch of English rivers.

8 minutes ago, Banker said:

From recent research 

• No single stretch of river in England or Northern Ireland is in good overall health.
  • Just 15% of English, 31% of Northern Irish and 50% of Irish river stretches reach good ecological health standards.
  • Toxic chemicals that remain in ecosystems for decades pollute every stretch of English rivers.

Of course. I certainly acknowledge that the situation is bad generally. Anywhere there are large numbers of people and industry, really.

19 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

First, it doesn't really mean what everyone thinks it means, and second, we have world class bullshitters.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

From recent research 

I don't disagree but these are storm overflows which are mostly filtered, but even so are unaceptable

Unlike the rock, which discharges RAW SEWAGE or in more correct terms RAW SHIT

That is not my point, the mainland has an enviromental agency with power.

Of Fraggle rock you get fed shit whether you like it or not and it does have an affect on the brain Banker

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I don't disagree but these are storm overflows which are mostly filtered, but even so are unaceptable

Of Fraggle rock you get fed shit whether you like it or not and it does have an affect on the brain Banker

Peel needs sorting. The topography of Laxey just doesn't lend itself, and the sea quality is fine because of the prevailing current being away from the beach.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Peel needs sorting. The topography of Laxey just doesn't lend itself, and the sea quality is fine because of the prevailing current being away from the beach.

That is a fair comment but I don't think Laxey should be putting totally raw sewage into the sea.

If there was a filter, UV treatment before discharge then that would be sort of okay but just letting raw sewage flow into Laxey bay is not good.

Your argument relies  on prevailing tidal flows, these are not a given which can be relied upon for a proper decision/ calculation of harm.

I think the current proposal to pump the Laxey stuff up a big hill is silly but how much would it cost to build a filter / UV plant and extend the outfall?

The daft thing in Laxey is that even if they pump it up Old Laxey Hill there will still have to be huge tanks built in the area of the old holiday chalets.

In that case they may as well build a treatment works there, at the bottom of Laxey village  and discharge treated sh1t into the sea without the pumping SH1T uphill.

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

That is a fair comment but I don't think Laxey should be putting totally raw sewage into the sea.

If there was a filter, UV treatment before discharge then that would be sort of okay but just letting raw sewage flow into Laxey bay is not good.

Your argument relies  on prevailing tidal flows, these are not a given which can be relied upon for a proper decision/ calculation of harm.

I think the current proposal to pump the Laxey stuff up a big hill is silly but how much would it cost to build a filter / UV plant and extend the outfall?

The daft thing in Laxey is that even if they pump it up Old Laxey Hill there will still have to be huge tanks built in the area of the old holiday chalets.

In that case they may as well build a treatment works there, at the bottom of Laxey village  and discharge treated sh1t into the sea without the pumping SH1T uphill.

UV is totally ineffective on untreated sewage. 

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

BTW sewage is rarely filtered.

2 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

Everything I said IS TRUE - If you believe the link you have gone very much down in my estimation of an inteliget person.

Just because MUA say they do something, can you not use your own nose and smell it? The Chlorine content is horrendous.

The worst thing IMHO  was the IOMSPCO back wash into lower Douglas drinking water. That was out there with the Indian bhopal disaster

Ok I know its not that bad  but it is pretty much the same type of thing and the worst bit is no one on the island really knows what happened....... That is the problem

See Woolley's post, he knows it it too and he usually disagrees with me! He has experience of different water and testing capability.

Much like the air quality on Fraggle Rock it is sh1t if you do a proper test.

If you think the chlorine levels are horrendous ( which theybare not because I test the water before using it for my fish) you should complain and get it tested. I very much doubt that you are right. In this day you can get a chlorine test kit for a few quid and that would assure you that it isn't high. 

I mean why would Manx utilities put loads of chlorine in if they didn't have to. It would be expensive to do that