Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

(... I test the water before using it for my fish)

Did you also check the nitrate levels, just out of interest. Daughter tested ours before a water change in her fish-tank last night and it was unusually high...

1 hour ago, Blade Runner said:

That is a fair comment but I don't think Laxey should be putting totally raw sewage into the sea.

If there was a filter, UV treatment before discharge then that would be sort of okay but just letting raw sewage flow into Laxey bay is not good.

Your argument relies  on prevailing tidal flows, these are not a given which can be relied upon for a proper decision/ calculation of harm.

I think the current proposal to pump the Laxey stuff up a big hill is silly but how much would it cost to build a filter / UV plant and extend the outfall?

The daft thing in Laxey is that even if they pump it up Old Laxey Hill there will still have to be huge tanks built in the area of the old holiday chalets.

In that case they may as well build a treatment works there, at the bottom of Laxey village  and discharge treated sh1t into the sea without the pumping SH1T uphill.

They are proposing a complete dog's dinner of a solution which will be infinitely worse than the status quo. It is power intensive, and you can bet your bottom dollar it will cast a mushroom cloud of sewage stink over the valley on warm still days in perpetuity. This will effect everyone in the locality, and is hardly environmentally friendly.

My logic for continuing discharge to the sea is based on the reality of the situation. The steep sided valley is completely unsuited for outward, uphill pumping. The discharge is not a problem for the water quality because of the currents. Globally, 85% of sewage is pumped raw into rivers and sea, and there is only one body of sea water. The Island has more than reversed this discharge percentage when Peel is sorted, so we have more than done our bit to pull our weight in the grand scheme of things. It makes no sense to throw grandiose, expensive and inefficient solutions at such a minuscule problem as Laxey, if indeed it is a problem at all. I would be in favour of extending the outfall pipe if they feel the need to do something.

The trouble is that you can't force people to only flush down their turds just after high tide, when they'll be carried away, rather than brought in and dumped on the beach.

18 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

The trouble is that you can't force people to only flush down their turds just after high tide, when they'll be carried away, rather than brought in and dumped on the beach.

Laxey outflow only seems to be on the outgoing tide. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 5:57 PM, quilp said:
On 4/7/2024 at 5:48 PM, Happier diner said:

(... I test the water before using it for my fish)

Did you also check the nitrate levels, just out of interest. Daughter tested ours before a water change in her fish-tank last night and it was unusually high...

Farm fertilisers?   Recent rain washing it off a bit faster than usual?

On 4/7/2024 at 5:48 PM, Happier diner said:

If you think the chlorine levels are horrendous ( which theybare not because I test the water before using it for my fish) you should complain and get it tested.

Unlikely to happen - since he doesn't live here...

Edited by Jarndyce
typo

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

Routine in Peel, but extremely rare event in Laxey. Certainly when compared to the capital cost, scale, running costs and environmental hangups involved with the proposed solution. Ludicrous.

Edited by woolley