Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

2 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Should do. This has to be the best option for the long term.

Thats shit sorry

pumping tonnes of water up a hill makes no sense at all. The proportion of raw effluent (dry weather flow) is minimal and as the name suggests will cost a fortune to move around in dry weather/ average summer conditions whilst the pipeline will be oversized to deal with the storm flows and likewise, the pumps to deal with the head lifts. 

makes very little sense in a land of energy efficiency even if it is hydro vanes or whatever (but we already know it will be electricity to help other parts of the MUA out) and a few solar arrays to look green

1 hour ago, Ativa said:

It is much more cost and time efficient to get heavy plant and HGVs in and out of an out of town site than into Laxey.  

The site chosen will be much cheaper to build on than one in the village

Two problems with that statement 

the capex now includes at least one pumping station and miles of pipelines (materials, easements and installation)

the opex is very greatly increased and now includes much more maintenance 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Thats shit sorry

pumping tonnes of water up a hill makes no sense at all. The proportion of raw effluent (dry weather flow) is minimal and as the name suggests will cost a fortune to move around in dry weather/ average summer conditions whilst the pipeline will be oversized to deal with the storm flows and likewise, the pumps to deal with the head lifts. 

makes very little sense in a land of energy efficiency even if it is hydro vanes or whatever (but we already know it will be electricity to help other parts of the MUA out) and a few solar arrays to look green

I agree with you, but I doubt the long-term viability of the location down at the bottom of Laxey: rising sea levels as we'll see in the next decade, increased storms due to climate change. 

55 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Hang on, you were the one going on about it being the best place and whining about NYMBY's not wanting it there?

Then I thought about rising sea levels, whales and climate change.

3 hours ago, Ativa said:

Yes.  In an 8 legger, a car, a van and a pickup.

They will obviously make sure wagons can get in and out.

Have you ever driven an HGV through Laxey?  Where are you suggesting it should be located instead?

It should be located on the site that is right by the current outfall which is the site that Manx Utilities bought.

Anything else is just crazy and as @english zloty correctly says will involve massive infrastructure investment requirements (laying pipes all the way from Laxey up the hill and Garwick all the way up the hill as well as building new pump stations at both sites) and a lifetime of operating inefficiency. Absolute insanity. All caused by a angry mob of residents who want someone else to pay for the treatment and disposal of their waste.

I remember in the planning process, one small tanker had to visit the site 3 times a week to remove sludge and take it to Meary Veg. They are HGVs but only 14m3 short tankers. No problem at all going through Laxey. I would be more than confident to drive one through their. I mean what could go wrong

Bus in river may be broken up - Manx Radio

• Haha 1