Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

Being a completely normal ManForumer, I am willing to be corrected by people who know far more than me.

So, Laxey is in a valley and the plan is to pump effluent to the top of a nearby hill. The idea is that it takes energy to pump the stuff up the hill, but most of that energy can be retrieved when it flows downhill later.

But the pipes leading to the top of the hill will go around various corners, past various obstructions and so on - the energy required to overcome that cannot be recovered.

For a turbine to work effectively it needs to be at the base of a large head of water (e.g. at the base of a dam) or at the end of a long, straight, downhill pipe. Any bends in the pipe will absorb energy.

If the turbine is back down at Laxey harbour I do not see that "A turbine will enable a significant amount of the electricity used to pump sewage up to the Axnfell site to be recovered ".

But I could be wrong. I usually am.

From what I am told...........

Laxey will have to have a much bigger hole in the ground near the old "Chalets" to construct a "pump station".

For the non engineering peeps on here. The whole of Laxey's sh1t flows down Glen Road, in the future it will still go there but will have to pumped, via a Pump Station to this new forest location for its treatment at the new works.

To do this you don't just stick a pump in the end of a pipe at the bottom of Glen Road to pump it's content's somewhere else, you need a MASSIVE and I mean Massive pumping station due to the fact that the new treatment works are about 600m higher (Vertically)  than the bottom of Glen Road.......

This will involve a much bigger hole in the ground in the bottom of Laxey Glen Road/ chalets are, that allows the SH1T to be pumped away to accommodate MASSIVE pumps and Massive Temp storage of sh1t.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Ludicrous. The water quality at Laxey is excellent for most of the time even now. All it needs is efficient screening and a longer outfall pipe taken further around Laxey Head for it to be even better. This is all about making a "modern" standard solution fit a non-standard location. It will be an ongoing nightmare of stink, cost and inconvenience.

Peel & Laxey residents, commissioners & MHKS have been whining for years that they haven’t got proper sewage treatment like everyone else, but any time anything is proposed the same lot are normally complaining about the solution!!

11 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Laxey will have to have a much bigger hole in the ground near the old "Chalets" to construct a "pump station".

For the non engineering peeps on here. The whole of Laxey's sh1t flows down Glen Road, in the future it will still go there but will have to pumped, via a Pump Station to this new forest location for its treatment at the new works.

To do this you don't just stick a pump in the end of a pipe at the bottom of Glen Road to pump it's content's somewhere else, you need a MASSIVE and I mean Massive pumping station due to the fact that the new treatment works are about 600m higher (Vertically)  than the bottom of Glen Road.......

This will involve a much bigger hole in the ground in the bottom of Laxey Glen Road/ chalets are, that allows the SH1T to be pumped away to accommodate MASSIVE pumps and Massive Temp storage of sh1t.

600m or 600ft?

16 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Nearly to the top of Snaefell then.

2 hours ago, woolley said:

Ludicrous. The water quality at Laxey is excellent for most of the time even now. All it needs is efficient screening and a longer outfall pipe taken further around Laxey Head for it to be even better. This is all about making a "modern" standard solution fit a non-standard location. It will be an ongoing nightmare of stink, cost and inconvenience.

Sorry Woolley but that is crap.

Just putting in a longer pipe just puts the shit somewhere else, it does not solve the problem of human waste.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

To do this you don't just stick a pump in the end of a pipe at the bottom of Glen Road to pump it's content's somewhere else, you need a MASSIVE and I mean Massive pumping station

Someone mentioned above that people had to be relocated from White Hoe because of the vibrations from the pumping station. Maybe all the area around the pumping station in Lower Laxey would need to be relocated - except for the people who like that kind of thing....

Just now, Blade Runner said:

Sorry Woolley but that is crap.

Just putting in a longer pipe just puts the shit somewhere else, it does not solve the problem of human waste.

It's not perfect. It's the least worst option taking into account the environment, cost, and aesthetics. The amount of waste from Laxey is not a problem in the sea when discharged well away from public beaches into a prevailing current also taking it away and dispersing it. One size fits all doesn't always work in the real world. The idea of pumping it to Meary Veg from the "Best 4 Laxey" crew is also ridiculous.