Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

1 minute ago, woolley said:

It's not perfect. It's the least worst option taking into account the environment, cost, and aesthetics. The amount of waste from Laxey is not a problem in the sea when discharged well away from public beaches into a prevailing current also taking it away and dispersing it. One size fits all doesn't always work in the real world. The idea of pumping it to Meary Veg from the "Best 4 Laxey" crew is also ridiculous.

Say hello to Port Navas which has its own pumping station. Works well, minimal vibration & noise. Great beer and food at the yacht club.

TR11 5LR - Google Maps

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

m

Lol

5 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

I will stick it into google and revert. I am only quoting what I was told

Clueless.

600m is higher than North Barrule, and quite possibly higher than the summit cafe 😂 on snaefell 

Just now, Blade Runner said:

No, My Bad

170m above sea level is the proposed new treatment works.

That is still a long way to pump shit

But not at all difficult, most can be pumped at night with cheaper electricity. We have small pumping stations all round the coast of Cornwall, technology's well proven.

And we don't pay crazy water charges either!

1 minute ago, Blade Runner said:

No, My Bad

170m above sea level is the proposed new treatment works.

That is still a long way to pump shit

It’s a good job they have had engineers work out how to do it then isn’t it?

They have been years coming up with the best solution and yet a load of people on here think they know better 🙄

7 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

@woolley - are you suggesting a solution which involves pumping untreated sewage into the sea?

Yes. It's a small village outfall and can be pumped well away from the harbour and beach into prevailing current that disperses it and further removes it. This is not ideal, I concede, but there isn't an ideal solution in this location. Life isn't so convenient, but this would be far better than the notion of pumping it up 600ft vertically with the power requirement, disruption, costs and inevitable odour.

The water quality at Laxey is excellent for the vast majority of the time even now. Upgrading the outfall would make it even better.

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Being a completely normal ManForumer, I am willing to be corrected by people who know far more than me.

So, Laxey is in a valley and the plan is to pump effluent to the top of a nearby hill. The idea is that it takes energy to pump the stuff up the hill, but most of that energy can be retrieved when it flows downhill later.

But the pipes leading to the top of the hill will go around various corners, past various obstructions and so on - the energy required to overcome that cannot be recovered.

For a turbine to work effectively it needs to be at the base of a large head of water (e.g. at the base of a dam) or at the end of a long, straight, downhill pipe. Any bends in the pipe will absorb energy.

If the turbine is back down at Laxey harbour I do not see that "A turbine will enable a significant amount of the electricity used to pump sewage up to the Axnfell site to be recovered ".

But I could be wrong. I usually am.

You are not wrong in most of what you say. Corners are not really  an issue, it's the loss of head in the length of pipe and the height difference. Accumulated friction. 

Using the phrase "significant" is  bit disingenuous of them. Define significant. It's the % recovery which is the important measure. Like I said earlier that's only going to be 50 to 60% at best. So however you look at it, it's a very inefficient way of dealing with sewage.

14 minutes ago, woolley said:

This is not ideal, I concede

I do not believe that pumping untreated sewage into the sea is acceptable. No matter the cost or inconvenience of treating it.

I wonder why they could not install a wind turbine and solar to generate the electricity required to pump it somewhere else to be treated,

1 minute ago, genericUserName said:

I do not believe that pumping untreated sewage into the sea is acceptable. No matter the cost or inconvenience of treating it.

In a perfect world, maybe, but this one's far from perfect. Aspirations are nice to have but not always practicable. Effluent from Laxey will not make one iota of difference in the scheme of things, and who is to say that the power required for treatment is less environmentally damaging than discharge out to sea?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-24019396

• Like 1