Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

1 minute ago, woolley said:

who is to say that the power required for treatment is less environmentally damaging than discharge out to sea?

9 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

I wonder why they could not install a wind turbine and solar to generate the electricity required to pump it somewhere else to be treated,

9 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

do not believe that pumping untreated sewage into the sea is acceptable. No matter the cost or inconvenience of treating it.

The deal was, and this goes back to Rob Callister giving the house a tiny amount of time to digest a huge amount of information and having to vote on it pretty damn quick (Chris Robertshaw did two videos with PM stating that the whole thing was rushed and the members were not nearly enough time to research and digest the information before having to vote) and the deal was that the sewage would be treated by UV before being pumped back into the sea (so no raw sewage would be returned) and because it had be UV treated, there was no need to extend the pipe. That's what they voted for.

Where this new idea about taking it up to Axenfell has some from, I have no idea.

The videos are still up on YouTube if you want to refresh your memories.

• Like 2

There a Facebook group about the whole thing from start to finish for any of you who wish to follow the whole sorry tale. It's got Laxey and Bay and a 4 in it - but I can't remember anything else about it. Rob C doesn't come out of it very well I seem to remember.

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

There a Facebook group about the whole thing from start to finish for any of you who wish to follow the whole sorry tale. It's got Laxey and Bay and a 4 in it - but I can't remember anything else about it. Rob C doesn't come out of it very well I seem to remember.

Does he ever come out from anything very well?

31 minutes ago, genericUserName said:

do not believe that pumping untreated sewage into the sea is acceptable. No matter the cost or inconvenience of treating it.

80% of raw sewage globally goes into the sea untreated, which isn't a pretty picture. The Isle of Man has largely stopped discharging from its (relative) main centres of population. I think we could justify the minuscule outfall at Laxey as an exception where there is really no practical alternative. Particularly as we can mitigate any effects by UV light treatment and discharge well away from the beach into a northerly current.

I've heard of "every little helps", but this proposal is plain ridiculous.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

Hilarious that it seems Garff Commissioners knew nothing of this plan? Anyways, emergency meeting tomorrow should be interesting. 

The Commissioners knew about the plan, but the site was Top Secret during negotiations with the landowners which now turns out to be themselves. 🤣 (ETA for clarity: Two faces of government: i.e MUA buyer and DEFA vendor.)

Edited by woolley
  • Confused 1

Wilf from Ramsey was on Mannin Line today  he reckons all sewage should be treated before being discharged into the sea because of the amount of toilet cleaner, bleach etc that is poured down all toilets, some of which is toxic.   Some countries do this as a matter of course apparently.   He reckons this is what is killing the fish off.    Thinking about it he has a point, sewage is natural waste these cleaning products are not.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, woolley said:

80% of raw sewage globally goes into the sea untreated, which isn't a pretty picture. The Isle of Man has largely stopped discharging from its (relative) main centres of population. I think we could justify the minuscule outfall at Laxey as an exception where there is really no practical alternative. Particularly as we can mitigate any effects by UV light treatment and discharge well away from the beach into a northerly current.

I've heard of "every little helps", but this proposal is plain ridiculous.

UV treatment wont work on untreated sewage unfortunately. 

13 hours ago, Blade Runner said:

From what I am told...........

Laxey will have to have a much bigger hole in the ground near the old "Chalets" to construct a "pump station".

For the non engineering peeps on here. The whole of Laxey's sh1t flows down Glen Road, in the future it will still go there but will have to pumped, via a Pump Station to this new forest location for its treatment at the new works.

To do this you don't just stick a pump in the end of a pipe at the bottom of Glen Road to pump it's content's somewhere else, you need a MASSIVE and I mean Massive pumping station due to the fact that the new treatment works are about 600m higher (Vertically)  than the bottom of Glen Road.......

This will involve a much bigger hole in the ground in the bottom of Laxey Glen Road/ chalets are, that allows the SH1T to be pumped away to accommodate MASSIVE pumps and Massive Temp storage of sh1t.

i wonder if they will find  a pump with no vibrations this time ?

13 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Wilf from Ramsey was on Mannin Line today  he reckons all sewage should be treated before being discharged into the sea because of the amount of toilet cleaner, bleach etc that is poured down all toilets, some of which is toxic.   Some countries do this as a matter of course apparently.   He reckons this is what is killing the fish off.    Thinking about it he has a point, sewage is natural waste these cleaning products are not.

It's not just cleaning products either. There's an awful lot of pharmaceuticals that end up in sewage as well. And I don't mean from people flushing unused pills, although that happens too.  

• Like 1