Sewage treatment plant Laxey

Banker

27 minutes ago, Zarley said:

It's not just cleaning products either. There's an awful lot of pharmaceuticals that end up in sewage as well. And I don't mean from people flushing unused pills, although that happens too.  

They probably wouldn't be removed by the sewage treatment process

43 minutes ago, woolley said:

So why was it proposed previously?

I have no idea.

AFAIK though, for UV light to be effective it has to penetrate all the way through the fluid. If it was raw sewage it would be full of tasty bits. They would block the light I imagine and stop it working. 

Maybe whoever suggested it didn't understand the basic science

1 hour ago, Zarley said:

If so, that would mean cleaning products wouldn't be either.

Some one. Sewage treatment is just accelerated natural decomposition. So anything that degrades naturally or chemically will do.  Bleach will be removed but AFAIK complex pharmaceuticals probably wouldnt be

Do Wastewater Treatment Plants Remove Pharmaceuticals?

February 11, 2021Blog

Wastewater treatment plants are there to clean and purify water that arrives through sewer lines, septage haulers, etc. The process removes bacteria, solids, and other impurities until the water is clean enough to go back into the district’s water supply or get released into area bodies of water.

What about pharmaceuticals? Can wastewater treatment plants remove pharmaceuticals before the water returns to public water sources, lakes, streams, and other water sources? Studies show that many drugs end up in treated water even after a normal treatment process.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I have no idea.

AFAIK though, for UV light to be effective it has to penetrate all the way through the fluid. If it was raw sewage it would be full of tasty bits. They would block the light I imagine and stop it working. 

Maybe whoever suggested it didn't understand the basic science

I think the idea is to process the liquid after all the big stuff is taken out and trucked away.

Just now, woolley said:

I think the idea is to process the liquid after all the big stuff is taken out and trucked away.

It wouldn't be raw sewage then though would it. That's what you suggested. The process is

Screens - Biological treatment - settlement - UV

If you didn't have the biological treatment and the settlement you wouldn't have anything to tanker away

31 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It wouldn't be raw sewage then though would it. That's what you suggested. The process is

Screens - Biological treatment - settlement - UV

If you didn't have the biological treatment and the settlement you wouldn't have anything to tanker away

I see what you mean. You'd have to watch the vids from the time of the proposal to be sure what was intended then. Perhaps have a look too at what it is that Guernsey are doing for the sewage of their entire population of 64,000 which is pretty much dumping it in the sea (like 80% of the rest of the world population).

Against this global backdrop it is surely quite ludicrous to be messing around with such a convoluted and barely practicable scheme within very unfavourable topography for a minuscule 1800 souls in Laxey. It's a typical example of settling on a hard and fast outcome before considering the drawbacks and difficulties. Flies in the face of all logic.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

I see what you mean. You'd have to watch the vids from the time of the proposal to be sure what was intended then. Perhaps have a look too at what it is that Guernsey are doing for the sewage of their entire population of 64,000 which is pretty much dumping it in the sea (like 80% of the rest of the world population).

Against this global backdrop it is surely quite ludicrous to be messing around with such a convoluted and barely practicable scheme within very unfavourable topography for a minuscule 1800 souls in Laxey. It's a typical example of settling on a hard and fast outcome before considering the drawbacks and difficulties. Flies in the face of all logic.

Flies around sewage, surely?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, english zloty said:

That's actually a good move by Garff. It could, of course, be a ploy to put such a head banging plan forward so that everyone throws up their hands in horror and asks them to go back to the original plan at the Cairn site. It's still a worse option than discharge to sea in this case.

Edited by woolley

4 hours ago, english zloty said:

So garff aren’t actually obtaining the report at their expense they want Tynwald to get it & all taxpayers to pay for it, typical NIMBY attitude. Just tell Laxey to FO & shove the treatment plant on the football field.

They either want sewage pumped into the sea or not!!’

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

So garff aren’t actually obtaining the report at their expense they want Tynwald to get it & all taxpayers to pay for it, typical NIMBY attitude. Just tell Laxey to FO & shove the treatment plant on the football field.

They either want sewage pumped into the sea or not!!’

It would be ratepayers' money well spent in this instance. Better then the strange goings on at the kiosk shelter.