Fluoride

hissingsid

It will be interesting to see, a generation on from the previous fiasco on this subject led by Public Health, if this latest rearing of the monster's head from the deep meets with the same outcry of "Not on your bleeding life" from the Manx population. I do hope so.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

But the minerals and vitamins added to non-wholemeal flour (calcium, iron, thiamine (Vitamin B1) and niacin (Vitamin B3)) are mainly there because they are taken out of the flour in the milling process.  That's why they're not necessary to add to wholemeal - it has them anyway.  And with most vitamins etc[1] overdosing isn't possible, you just piss out the excess.

I know, it's just an interesting comparison when you spin it the same way at the surface level.

However fluoride is safe only below quite a low level.  The World Health Organization recommends a maximum level of 1.5 milligrams of fluoride per litre of water (mg/l), though the effective safe level may be a bit higher.  The normal level for fluoridation is 1.0 milligram, though Ireland reduced theirs to 0.7 milligram in 2007 due to dental fluorosis, which can be serious in some cases, but normally only has cosmetic effects.  But it does mean that there is less space for overconsumption that with certain other chemicals in our diets.

To get a lethal dose (5-10g), you'd need to drink only 5000-10000 litres. The maximum figure of 1.5mg is given as a limit to prevent any harmful effect over a lifetime of consumption.

Of course, an alternative would be to ensure far better dental care for everyone, but, who wants to pay for it?

[1]  Except for Vitamin A.  Which is why you should never eat polar bear liver.

Human liver also contains too much Vitamin A to be safe to eat apparently.

1 hour ago, woolley said:

It will be interesting to see, a generation on from the previous fiasco on this subject led by Public Health, if this latest rearing of the monster's head from the deep meets with the same outcry of "Not on your bleeding life" from the Manx population. I do hope so.

I expect you will probably be right. If it becomes mandatory in the UK though (in the next few years), I have a feeling it wont go away for good.

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I expect you will probably be right. If it becomes mandatory in the UK though (in the next few years), I have a feeling it wont go away for good.

It never goes away for good. It's like a job creation scheme or a refused Dandara planning application with boomerang tendencies.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, woolley said:

It never goes away for good. It's like a job creation scheme or a refused Dandara planning application with boomerang tendencies.

To be fair, it's not going away in many other jurisdictions as well. It seems to be making a massive comeback at the moment. 

42 minutes ago, woolley said:

Like the planning they recently had refused for loads of houses in Ramsey, which also failed appeal?

No need to reply and derail the thread, but why do people make up total shit to try and make a point?

We are lucky with the water we have it is fine to drink good to wash clothes with and hair being soft, some places have very hard water, some have water that creates lime scale on equipment.     I don’t know the complete science or in fact any science regarding the make up of water but it certainly differs from place to place in the British Isles so comparing it or copying other districts water treatment is a no go.   Is nothing sacred they will be trying to purify the air next. 🥵

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ativa said:

Like the planning they recently had refused for loads of houses in Ramsey, which also failed appeal?

No need to reply and derail the thread, but why do people make up total shit to try and make a point?

Oy! Don't accuse me of making up total shit then tell me not to reply. Who do you think you are? A former moderator?

Do you really believe that because a planning application has failed, that will be the end of the matter for good? Objectors have to win every single time, whereas a developer has to win just once. It's not always a quick battle, it can be a war of attrition. I've seen local protest groups breaking open the champagne having seen off a threat to their favourite local open space through review and appeal, only to be back in the same position and having to start all over again to try to thwart the next slightly different application, maybe even from a different developer to the first scheme.

I would concede one possible factor which might make things slightly different now to the past 30 years, and that is the over provision in the projections from 2011 of properties required by 2026 when the population was expected to be 95,000 and rising. Perhaps a bit of sanity is creeping in which may cool things down.

Don't bother replying and further derailing the thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, woolley said:

I would concede one possible factor which might make things slightly different now to the past 30 years, and that is the over provision in the projections from 2011 of properties required by 2026 when the population was expected to be 95,000 and rising. Perhaps a bit of sanity is creeping in which may cool things down

To be fair, a lack of housing stock is probably a factor in that.

On 5/16/2023 at 12:45 PM, John Wright said:

So, how do you feel about chlorination, or adding lime that settles out the vegetable matter, or iron or PTFE from the distribution pipes, or lead or copper from the house pipes?

Absolutely fine, as chlorine and lime (amongst other things) are addedto make it safe to drink. 

Fluoride, on the other hand, they want to add to help the teeth of a few children with feckless parents. I would rather see the millions of pounds spent in schools educating (frightening) the same kids about the importance of oral care. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2