Fluoride

hissingsid

23 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I only caught a bit of this on MR news but I thought that Tynwald voted to investigate the introduction of fluoride but Leg.Co. didn’t so they are having another vote with a combined vote.    Did I hear this correctly ?   

21 hours ago, Thrax said:

LegCo will have it right. Just look up the great work they've done in this administration and you will agree with me.

What do legco have to do with this.? Is there a legal perspective. 

On 5/18/2023 at 9:19 AM, hampsterkahn said:This is not just a matter of cosmetics, severe cases cause pain and distress and no child should have to be admitted to hospital to have several rotten teeth removed under general anaesthetic which is what is happening now.

That is saying to parents : This issue is down to you ;it is your   responsibility, not the schools, not the health service - if your child has rotten first dentition you cannot blame others - this one is down to you.

Sugary drinks, constant comfort snacking,  pacifying with treats  rather paying attention to your  child .

Many children do not even have a tooth brush.

In the absence of a change in parental attitude and behaviour, which is a social education issue, flouride as a second best would at least help those children.

Adding fluoride to water is NOT going to help in the case of first dentition. It may help around 1000 kids in the 7-14 age group, to the detriment of 85,000+ residents. 

Educate don’t mass medicate! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cambon said:

Adding fluoride to water is NOT going to help in the case of first dentition. It may help around 1000 kids in the 7-14 age group, to the detriment of 85,000+ residents. 

Educate don’t mass medicate! 

But, does it also afford benefits to adults?

Bad teeth is a killer for the elderly, and a lot more of them have their original gnashers than ever before.

Many of us are keeping more teeth for longer.

Depending on which sums you believe, some suggest that for each £1 spent on water fluoridation, you save £20 on subsequent healthcare costs.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

But, does it also afford benefits to adults?

Bad teeth is a killer for the elderly, and a lot more of them have their original gnashers than ever before.

Many of us are keeping more teeth for longer.

Depending on which sums you believe, some suggest that for each £1 spent on water fluoridation, you save £20 on subsequent healthcare costs.

Yes, people have better teeth these days because they take card of them. They generally use fluoride toothpaste. But that is without having fluoride in the water. It is an unnecessary expense, where the money would be better spent on educating the masses, not medicating them. 
If someone were that worried, it is possible to have a one of fluoride treatment at a dentist which lasts a lifetime. I had it when I was a teenager. However, you can still lose your teeth due to gum disease from poor hygiene, and other preventable things. That is why education is the important part. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Yes, people have better teeth these days because they take card of them. They generally use fluoride toothpaste. But that is without having fluoride in the water. It is an unnecessary expense, where the money would be better spent on educating the masses, not medicating them. 
If someone were that worried, it is possible to have a one of fluoride treatment at a dentist which lasts a lifetime. I had it when I was a teenager. However, you can still lose your teeth due to gum disease from poor hygiene, and other preventable things. That is why education is the important part. 

Over the same timeframes, fluoridated water areas are shown to have lower rates of tooth decay than those without.

That's alongside modern dentistry, the mainstreaming of fluoridated toothpaste etc.

5 minutes ago, Cambon said:

It is an unnecessary expense, where the money would be better spent on educating the masses, not medicating them. 

A lot of cost/benefit analyses posit that it is actually the other way round. Fluoride provides a cheaper, safe and reasonably effective way of protecting teeth.

As more studies are done across adult populations, the benefits there are becoming more evident too. One of the reasons we lack as many adult studies is that it's much harder to follow up on, and thus gather good data on.

If you want the cheap option, let's go back to not that long ago where it was fashionable to pull all your teeth before they became problematic.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

Over the same timeframes, fluoridated water areas are shown to have lower rates of tooth decay than those without.

That's alongside modern dentistry, the mainstreaming of fluoridated toothpaste etc.

A lot of cost/benefit analyses posit that it is actually the other way round. Fluoride provides a cheaper, safe and reasonably effective way of protecting teeth.

As more studies are done across adult populations, the benefits there are becoming more evident too. One of the reasons we lack as many adult studies is that it's much harder to follow up on, and thus gather good data on.

If you want the cheap option, let's go back to not that long ago where it was fashionable to pull all your teeth before they became problematic.

Sorry AC, but no amount of fluoride in the water id going stop tartar and plaque build up, that causes gum disease, that eventually means extraction. 

You, and your studies are quite simply wrong! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Cambon said:

Sorry AC, but no amount of fluoride in the water id going stop tartar and plaque build up, that causes gum disease, that eventually means extraction. 

You, and your studies are quite simply wrong! 

It never claims to, but it does fill in the microscopic gaps where enamel gets damaged by bacteria and their acids.

If you want the fancy scientific terms, Fluoride helps prevent decay of a tooth by binding to the hydroxyapatite crystals in enamel.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

And needs topping up twice a year? 

No. I am over 60 and still have all my teeth except for one crown, but that was nothing to do with decay. I have never lived in a fluoridated area. One time treatment. 

1 hour ago, AcousticallyChallenged said:

It never claims to, but it does fill in the microscopic gaps where enamel gets damaged by bacteria and their acids.

If you want the fancy scientific terms, Fluoride helps prevent decay of a tooth by binding to the hydroxyapatite crystals in enamel.

Absolutely correct, bug much more effectively applied using toothpaste!